Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Dundon Street Headers/Cats + oem vs loud vs quiet exhaust? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1151520-dundon-street-headers-cats-oem-vs-loud-vs-quiet-exhaust.html)

Fang911 07-09-2019 06:57 PM

Dundon Street Headers/Cats + oem vs loud vs quiet exhaust?

Am thinking about taking the plunge- looking for increased performance + sound + weight savings- have only read good things on this board about Dundon headers and had the opportunity to speak with Jamie today (two thumbs up). For those of you with the Dundon catted street headers (not race)- which exhaust (Dundon loud vs quiet or OEM) did u go with and why? I am def looking for a racier, louder exhaust than a CMB but without some of the 2500-3000 rpm prominence of a SMB- thanks!

Alan C. 07-09-2019 07:08 PM

On my .2 GT3 I have the Dundon catted headers with the stock muffler. Seriously debating adding the loud. A friend has that combo and it is pretty amazing. Quite a bark on cold start but quickly settles down. I've also had Dundon headers on my past 2 cars. Great product and you can't beat dealing with Jamie.

Alan C. 07-09-2019 07:19 PM

Duplicate, deleted

dgoldenz 07-09-2019 08:05 PM

JCR titanium race pipe

horns 07-09-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Alan C. (Post 15962260)
On my .2 GT3 I have the Dundon catted headers with the stock muffler. Seriously debating adding the loud. A friend has that combo and it is pretty amazing. Quite a bark on cold start but quickly settles down. I've also had Dundon headers on my past 2 cars. Great product and you can't beat dealing with Jamie.

Is the loud noticeably louder than stock when both have catted headers? I assume so since you are thinking to add the loud center.

vdar 07-09-2019 08:22 PM

Have Dundon catted headers + OEM (GT3) steel center on my .1 RS and I’m pretty happy with that combo. Definitely much louder and more aggressive than stock esp on throttle and at higher revs while weighing less and adding power!

It can drone a lot at low revs and part throttle (2-2.5K ish?) if I leave it in PDK auto on the street, but can avoid that zone by dropping to lower gear/higher revs...

I think it sounds awesome on track though and adds enough power power to keep pace with manual .2 GT3s on the straights #FTW! Swapped RS titanium center for OEM GT3 steel at Jamie’s recommendation because of concerns it will crack with sustained track use.

Anco 07-09-2019 10:49 PM

I bought the catted street headers and use it with the OEM centre muffler and very happy with the result. The car sounds much better as before and is already pretty loud to my opinion. It's more fun to drive and you have increased performance and weight savings. Great stuff the street headers and I use the OEM muffler because I have the intention to drive the GT3 for just 1 year till delivery of another car that i have on order otherwise i would buy the loud muffler as well to have a complete Dundon system with an even more spectaculair sound. To give you and idea about the sound with an OEM centre muffler you can check these video's:
(outside he car)
(outside the car)
(inside the car)

Seth Thomas 07-09-2019 11:29 PM

I currently have the street headers with the stock center muffler. At this years Smokies event I got to spend a lot of time in the Dundon LabRat GT3RS helping Jamie break it in properly. It was outfitted with the loud rear muffler. From inside the car the sound was very similar to mine at cruising speeds but under WOT it was so much better. That is why I have a loud muffler on order and coming this way soon. Can’t wait to get it on my car!

usctrojanGT3 07-10-2019 02:37 AM

Wonder how catless headers with the quiet Dundon center muffler and valued bypass pipes will sound...

Cay_PI 07-10-2019 07:39 AM

Can someone comapre Dundon Catted Headers + OEM Center / Dundon quit center vs. Stock with center bypass in terms of Noise level dB and "subjective loudness"?

Fang911 07-10-2019 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies. How would you compare the Dundon catted street headers with oem exhaust vs a center muffler bypass alone in terms of volume? I’m looking for something louder and more intense than a CMB But without drone? For frame of reference, I daily drive the car to to three days a week 40 miles round-trip to work and would like something else sounds great but doesn’t become “too much”. Im also somewhat worried the catted headers + black (loud) mufller might be too much- what do owners of this combo think? I’m not so much interested in how it sounds on the outside, just from the driver seat-

Nizer 07-10-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Anco (Post 15962750)

213! Nice.

A/S 07-10-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fang911 (Post 15963247)
Thanks for all the replies. How would you compare the Dundon catted street headers with oem exhaust vs a center muffler bypass alone in terms of volume? I’m looking for something louder and more intense than a CMB But without drone? For frame of reference, I daily drive the car to to three days a week 40 miles round-trip to work and would like something else sounds great but doesn’t become “too much”. Im also somewhat worried the catted headers + black (loud) mufller might be too much- what do owners of this combo think? I’m not so much interested in how it sounds on the outside, just from the driver seat-

I'm running Dundon Long Tube catted headers, stock 991.2 Titanium Center muffler, Soul Performance resonated tips. From 1 being quiet (stock exhaust with valves closed at 3000rpm) and 10 being loud (stock headers and cats, and straight pipes).

Sharkwerks CMB is a 5.

My current setup above with valves closed also a 5, with valves open a 7.

Previously, a few weeks back I had the stock headers/cats, Soul Resonated exhaust tips and the JCR Silenced Race Pipes, that was an 8. With the Akrapovic headers: 9 (no longer can you drive on the streets in comfort, it is amazing sound but too loud). Running the stock Titanium tips, add 0.5.

As you increase sound levels (getting louder), drone would be inevitable. I have run over 15 different exhaust setups in the 991.1 and 991.2 GT3RS. A little drone doesn't bother me at all. Valved systems are less prone to drone. There is a little drone in my current setup, but not annoying at all.

Power gains are noticeable on the Dundon headers.

I'm getting a Dundon quiet muffler, as I'm dealing with sound restricted competitive events. I was expecting to pass sound with just the Dundon headers, turn down pipes, resonated tips and stock muffler, but I'm still over 100dB. If I didn't have sound restrictions, I would be running the JCR Silenced Race Pipes, nothing has sounded any better in my 991.

Nizer 07-10-2019 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by A/S (Post 15963504)
I'm running Dundon Long Tube catted headers, stock 991.2 Titanium Center muffler, Soul Performance resonated tips. From 1 being quiet (stock exhaust with valves closed at 3000rpm) and 10 being loud (stock headers and cats, and straight pipes).

My current setup above with valves closed also a 5, with valves open a 7.

Previously, a few weeks back I had the stock headers/cats, Soul Resonated exhaust tips and the JCR Silenced Race Pipes, that was an 8.

I'm assuming the 8 for the stock headers and cats with JCR silenced race pipe is with valves open. What is it running with valves closed? Somewhat surprised that anything with stock headers and cats would be louder than Dundon headers.

A/S 07-10-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 15963829)
I'm assuming the 8 for the stock headers and cats with JCR silenced race pipe is with valves open. What is it running with valves closed? Somewhat surprised that anything with stock headers and cats would be louder than Dundon headers.

No valves in my JCR Silenced Race Pipes.

By looking at the muffler size of the valved JCR race pipes (a different system), I doubt they are any quieter than my bigger silencers race pipes. However, the valved JCR system would open the valves and get even louder (silencers are bypassed).

The stock center muffler even with the valves open still flows through the top inlets, by design it is quieter than the JCR Silenced Race Pipes. My Dundon system has massive 200-cell cats, they serve as mufflers as well.