Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon Street Headers/Cats + oem vs loud vs quiet exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Anco
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
Thanks for all the replies. How would you compare the Dundon catted street headers with oem exhaust vs a center muffler bypass alone in terms of volume? I’m looking for something louder and more intense than a CMB But without drone? For frame of reference, I daily drive the car to to three days a week 40 miles round-trip to work and would like something else sounds great but doesn’t become “too much”. Im also somewhat worried the catted headers + black (loud) mufller might be too much- what do owners of this combo think? I’m not so much interested in how it sounds on the outside, just from the driver seat-
The Dundon catted street headers with OEM muffler with the valves open are to my opinion a bit louder as just a CMB. You get everything you are looking for (better sound, more performance, and weight saving) with the street headers and the OEM centre muffler without much drone. I drove 6000km in the last 2 months with the Dundon street headers installed and inside the car it was absolutely fine all the time. With the valves closed and not to much throttle the car is still pretty quiet and on demand you can wake it up to beast mode. Buy it, try it and enjoy it. Pretty sure you won't regret it as it gives you everything you are asking for.
The following users liked this post:
Jamie@dundonmotorsports (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
Thanks for all the replies. How would you compare the Dundon catted street headers with oem exhaust vs a center muffler bypass alone in terms of volume? I’m looking for something louder and more intense than a CMB But without drone? For frame of reference, I daily drive the car to to three days a week 40 miles round-trip to work and would like something else sounds great but doesn’t become “too much”. Im also somewhat worried the catted headers + black (loud) mufller might be too much- what do owners of this combo think? I’m not so much interested in how it sounds on the outside, just from the driver seat-

Dundon headers, both street or race, have no drone with the stock center muffler. I have had both sets of headers on a 991 GT3 RS and wouldn't imagine either car without one of these sets on it. My friend who just bought a .2 GT3RS is itching to get a set of headers on his car after driving mine for a bit. The sound in the car is slightly louder than stock while cruising around. When you want it to go loud all you have to do is open up the exhaust with the throttle and it becomes nice and sporty. I don't daily my car but I could easily daily the car with the Street Headers on it. The same is said with the black muffler in my opinion. Slightly louder than stock but with the application of throttle you hear it more in the car.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Forgot to mention. I've now logged 5000 miles on my Dundon street headers/stock center muffler combo. No complaints.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM
crayon991
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For those of you running 991.2 3RS setups with the Dundon catted headers but retaining the stocker Ti centre muffer -- have you had any cracking issues (with the stock muffler)
CX_GT3 (11-14-2021)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Anco
I bought the catted street headers and use it with the OEM centre muffler and very happy with the result. The car sounds much better as before and is already pretty loud to my opinion. It's more fun to drive and you have increased performance and weight savings. Great stuff the street headers and I use the OEM muffler because I have the intention to drive the GT3 for just 1 year till delivery of another car that i have on order otherwise i would buy the loud muffler as well to have a complete Dundon system with an even more spectaculair sound. To give you and idea about the sound with an OEM centre muffler you can check these video's:
https://youtu.be/ZS2xuFt6G_U (outside he car)
https://youtu.be/3IHs9LbuL3I (outside the car)
https://youtu.be/a6v01GIwUOM (inside the car)
For us Americans....that’s 213mph!!! Wow! So cool ...thanks for the videos, really awesome . Car sounds perfect!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 213 Posts

Would you guys say that adding the black “loud” Dundon Exhaust to the Dundon street headers is significantly louder than using the OEM exhaust?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by crayon991
For those of you running 991.2 3RS setups with the Dundon catted headers but retaining the stocker Ti centre muffer -- have you had any cracking issues (with the stock muffler)
If a street car will be fine. If tracked there is a risk, but so far others (like Seth Thomas) are ok

The stock muffler is a 2.5” lower flow path. Our mufflers are 3” so there is a benefit as the HP increases to have the 3” flow path.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Wonder how catless headers with the quiet Dundon center muffler and valued bypass pipes will sound...
Alekshop has multiple Dundon Street Headers 991.2 GT3/RS passing with stock mufflers and GPS Valve device. A quiet muffler would pass as well and we have new tips we’re testing now in Europe for Franks Olive Green GT3...

Dundon Nurburgring tips

Dundon Nurburgring Tips

Dundon Nurburgring Tips
Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

If you want to see an additional test sample of your tips in September (Salzburgring), feel free to contact me.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:10 AM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow....great videos and the headers sound spectacular. I need a pair of those!

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by Anco
I bought the catted street headers and use it with the OEM centre muffler and very happy with the result. The car sounds much better as before and is already pretty loud to my opinion. It's more fun to drive and you have increased performance and weight savings. Great stuff the street headers and I use the OEM muffler because I have the intention to drive the GT3 for just 1 year till delivery of another car that i have on order otherwise i would buy the loud muffler as well to have a complete Dundon system with an even more spectaculair sound. To give you and idea about the sound with an OEM centre muffler you can check these video's:
https://youtu.be/ZS2xuFt6G_U (outside he car)
https://youtu.be/3IHs9LbuL3I (outside the car)
https://youtu.be/a6v01GIwUOM (inside the car)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM
GT3CupMR
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the catted full system with the loud exhaust. Its not too loud for long trips and doesn't drone. Being its the loud version I was nervous to purchase loud center muffler but since I track, i didn't want it to crack under intense heat. I would only reuse the stock center muffler only if I didn't track. I will say that the combination for the catted full system and the loud center muffler sounds so good that I wouldn't have it any other way. I can only describe it as a toned down sound of a RSR.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:27 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 AM
DRE168
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Dundon Street Headers and have experience with both the quiet (Orange) and the Loud (black) Centre muffler.

I absolutely loved the sound with the loud muffler but the car didn’t pass sound at one of my local tracks. I thought about trying it with the OEM muffler but I opted for the Orange muffler just in case.

It now easily passes sound but definitely doesn’t sound as good as the Black muffler (to my ears anyway). So if the car is mainly for street use and you don’t attend too many sound sensitive tracks, then my advise is go for the Black.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:45 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

I also have the comparison now between Stock, Stock with permanently open flaps, Stock Headers/Sidemufflers + FVD CMB and now the Dundon Street Headers with OEM Steel center. My impressions:

Stock: to quiet in low rpm, nice in high rpm but the character of the sound is not as good as it could be
Stock with permanently open flaps: same as above, just louder below 3k rpm and a lot of drone
Stock + FVD CMB: good sound over the whole rpm range, nicest screaming in high rpm, nearly no drone with permanently open flaps, still quiet enough in low rpm to be comfortable, loud at wot, a little bit of "defective exhaust noise" at low rpm with flaps closed
Dundon Street Headers with Stock center: most powerfull and "full" sound, a bit louder than cmb at high rpm but not that crazy screaming, flaps closed and flaps open closer to another than with cmb, for my taste to loud with flaps closed, much more drone than cmb with flaps closed and deadly drone with flaps open in the 2-3k rpm range. Impossible to drive it without noise in the city.

Soundwise, I would definitely choose the CMB with my flap controller as I prefer sceaming over muscles. In terms of power, weight and excitingness the Dundon solution clearly wins.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:22 AM
Toothengineer
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 101 Posts

let you know sat

Quick Reply: Dundon Street Headers/Cats + oem vs loud vs quiet exhaust?