Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of moving OUT of California

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 PM
tbutz
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Come check out Florida! We have no personal income tax, year round warm weather, lots of beaches, and some really good race tracks!
The State's economy is also doing well.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM
RG88
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

TEXAS BABY! After over forty years living in SoCal, they finally beat me down....NO MAS!
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
kash101
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RG88
TEXAS BABY! After over forty years living in SoCal, they finally beat me down....NO MAS!
Curious what part of SoCal and what prompted the move ? I am in a similar consideration...
Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

What industry do you work in? if you have the cash and don't need to work, move to Hawaii; however, if you work in an industry like tech, you can forget about finding an equivalent job there.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

That was an amazing post, so well written and informative
Old 07-10-2019, 03:35 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Based on that post it sounds about the same as California, maybe with less homelessness and violent crime. Not good!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Aloha,

Allow me to weigh in about living in Hawaii, the roads and car culture here.

I was stationed on Oahu Active Duty Air Force '84-'86 (Brought a gray market '78 911SC coupe here with me from Germany). I rented awesome houses those two years in the 80's. Sharing rent with roommates and spending all of my tax free military housing allowance allowed me to live up high in Lanikai (a cool bedroom community on the windward side) and atop Tantalus mountain (2000' above Honolulu in a rainforest).

The highways on Oahu, including the H3, are not in any shape or form "driver's roads". The few high speed sweepers (and zero linked turns) are heavily monitored by laser speed traps. The last few days of the month (ticket quotas have to be met) are ridiculously enforced- like 5mph over is a ticket, never a warning. Tantalus is another story- it is 14 miles of awesome 2nd gear switchbacks through tropical rainforest. There are some scattered driveways on the route, but during working hours midweek, there is little to no traffic. If you encounter a slow poke, pull over for 2 minutes and resume.
https://goo.gl/maps/LJAEQfxwkmvcHwbS7

Sadly, this is the only significant drive worthy of a 911 on the entire island. Oh, there are other twisties, and climbs, on Oahu- but all are short: 13 curves on Auloa Road from Castle Junction to Maunawili-( it's actually called that by locals); the Kalaniana'olé Highway between Hanauma Bay and Sandy Beach (with centerline rumble strips to prevent even using your full lane width); and the Old Pali Highway (Nuuanu Pali Drive) which parallels the 4-lane divided Pali Highway (which has one great hairpin turn on the Kailua side). Other roads with nice curves and climbs are through densely populated neighborhoods.

So, all considered, a crappy place to own a sports car or bike. (There was very cool road over KoleKole Pass, but that closed several years ago.)

Though the year I lived atop Tantalus, I went through 2 sets of Pirelli P7's with my 911SC, in less than 12K miles! It is an awesome stretch of road.

Fast forward to this century:

Moved back here permanently in 1995. (Brought a 944S2 Cabriolet here with me.) Commuted from Kailua to the airport for 20+ years.
The Pali and Likelike Highways and H3 are heavily HPD patrolled (see above). Despite this fact, I upgraded to a used 2007 997 base Carrera in 2012 and drove it for almost 4 years on Oahu. Almost lost my license- not from anything crazy, just harrassing/revenue generating speeding tickets, most on an interstate engineered highway (H3).

I bought a nice 2011 997GTS in Boston in 2016 and drove it 11K miles to LA. North through Maine, north of the Great Lakes in Canada, across the north US via the South Dakota Badlands, Wyoming/Utah/Idahoe Rockies and the Cascades. Then the Pacific Coast Highway from Portland to LA. That 3-month trip avoiding interstates convinced me that the car should not be shipped to Oahu. I store it in LA and continue to drive it in the Malibu Canyons, Angeles Crest, Big Bear, San Jacinto Forest and Highway 33 above Santa Barbara and Ojai. There are few places on earth with a concentration of roads like these- some with an ocean view. The PCH from Cambria to Monterrey is another epic highway, as is Highway 130 over Mt Hamilton east of San Jose.

There are no race tracks on Oahu, or anywhere in Hawaii for that matter. Some drag strips, a couple of dirt ovals- that's about it.

I did a ED in September 2018, picked up a Macan GTS in Leipzig, drove it 3 months through the Alps and Tuscany, shipped it to Atlanta vice Honolulu, then drove 10K miles in 3 months (avoiding interstates) through 13 states and 9 National Parks. That trip convinced me that even a sport-oriented SUV is too much car for Oahu. It, too, remained in LA. So, I ride a bike here and fly out to LA to drive my 911 and Macan GTS's when I need a fix.

Aside from the dearth of driver's roads here, the climate is about perfect. As long as the trade winds blow (and they do, about 40 weeks a year) it is the best weather on the planet. When the High Pressure that sits northeast of Hawaii is absent- due to winter Lows (that bring our world class surf) or Hurricanes passing close enough to affect our weather- we have northeast winds from 10-15 mph that drag dry, cool air from latitudes found in Oregon or Washington. Without the trades, the weather here is like the US Southeast in the summer. (Our entire state is south of Miami's latitude.) Most homes here do not have whole house air-conditioning. Those who can afford it have split systems. McMansions have always existed, and ran AC 24/7/365. They were a tiny minority. With photovoltaic systems, more central air is being installed in homes that previously could not afford the electric bills associated with it.

Which brings up energy: (from Wikipedia)

"Energy in Hawaii is complicated by the state's isolated location and lack of fossil fuel resources. The state relies heavily on imports of petroleum and coal for power although renewable energy is increasing. Hawaii is the state with the highest share of petroleum use in the United States, with about 62% of electricity coming from oil in 2017. As of 2016, 26.6% of electricity was from renewable sources, including solar, wind, hydro and geothermal.

Hawaii has the highest electricity prices in the United States. As of 2016 the average cost of electricity was $0.24 per kilowatt-hour, followed by Alaska at $0.19. The U.S. average was $0.10."

Ouch! The good news is that home heating is not required, except for high elevations on Maui and the Big Island. Driving distances are relatively short and recreation in the ocean is free- no wetsuit required. Buy your sailboard, kite surf gear, kayak, sailboat and utilize those tradewinds 9 months a year. A surfboard is 12 months a year of free fun. Photovoltaic systems are on many, many homes here. Most owners pay nothing for electricity, in fact some systems generate electricity that Hawaiian Electric buys back. Early adopters get the same rate selling as they do buying. Very cool.

Everyone I know with kids has found a way to deal with the sub par schools. Private is expensive, but there are scholarships and aid.

The food, culture and natural beauty here is second to none.

Island fever? There are dozens of flights daily flights to the US and Asia. Cruise ships stop here on a weekly basis. It is the USA with most of the infrastructure enjoyed on the mainland. Violent crime is very, very rare. Property crime, not so much. You need a security system on your home and have to avoid parking where tourists congregate- or your car will likely be broken into. It makes hiking, surfing and sightseeing a little more difficult- but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

The diversity here is also unique for the USA. Caucasians ("Haoles") are a minority. White kids grow up experiencing what it feels like to be "different". I do not think that is a bad thing, at all. Ethnic groups mix here and have become the norm, not the exception. "Hapa" means "half" in pidgin- and many mixed race people here identify as such. Hawaiian immigrants learned to get along working side-by-side in the sugar cane and pineapple fields. 400,000 came here between 1865 and 1941- from Japan (majority), the Phiilipines, Korea, China, many South Pacific Islands, Polynesia and Portugal. People accommodate differences between each other, without effort or reluctance.

The Native Hawaiians, like the American Indians, got run over by US expansion. The island kingdom was overthrown by a group of missionary descendant businessmen. Then made it a territory, and eventually a state in 1959. The Native Hawaiians have intermarried with the immigrant groups, and have a Department of Hawaiian Homeland agency that appears to be about as effective as the Bureau of Indian Affairs on the mainland. There is some resentment towards visitors encroaching on their surf spots and the commercialization of their culture- but it is a mild response, IMO, to a great injustice to their ancestors, heritage and culture. Just my point of view, but one informed by actually living here and working with locals for over 25 years.

Bottom line. Visit here. If you like it, rent here for a few months. If you like that, start a home or condo search. You will know if island life and the local culture is for you. No one is ambivalent about Hawaii. Young people move here with little more than a shirt on their back and make it. It can be done.

Sorry this ran on into a chapter, but it may be of some use to anyone contemplating going tropo.

Aloha

Oh, forgot to add.
Taxes:
State income tax rate is lower than CA, for sure. They do NOT tax retirement checks or pensions.
Sales tax is 4.166%.
Property tax rates are among the lowest in the USA, but valuations are high.
(Taxes on a $2.5M home are $7K/year.)
Hi Liste-Renn,
Appreciate you spending the time to share your experiences living in Hawaii, this kind of insight is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in trying to make up my mind on the move.
BTW we love sushi and ramen and Hawaii has plenty of that, and I travel to China for business as we import container homes from China so flying from Hawaii saves me 4 to 5 hours each way.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

another thing to remember regarding state income tax is not just the tax rates (CA is the highest, HI is lower) but only a minority of those states that do levy an income tax base it on all your worldwide income (not just income generated within the state).

That means that if you do become a CA or HI resident, the state gets a cut of ALL your income, regardless of source!!

and yes, you guessed it...... CA and HI are two such very special states!
The following users liked this post:
06C2s (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:06 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kash101
Curious what part of SoCal and what prompted the move ? I am in a similar consideration...
I'm in the San Gabriel Valley, that means less than one hour drive to the South OC Cars and Coffee in San Clemente on Saturdays then to Supercar Sundays in Woodland Hills on Sundays. Going to PCA and POC's autox events are all within 45 minutes and I can even get there on Hoosiers. Was at Big Willow last month and going to Thermal next month, both only 2 hours away. So I'm in car lover heaven. Along with all the custom shops around here make working on my restomod projects easy (I'm in the third year working on restoring a 1967 Corvette). So why the move? Well it's the fishing, the weather, the beaches, the great food, especially sushi, and proximity to Asia. As my work allows me to live in any time zone, So far I'm just gathering information and nowhere near having my mind made up.

Last edited by bli8; 07-10-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:51 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

Thanks, Bruce. That long post was at least 50% my opinion- but it is based on my first-hand experience over 25 years.

The islands are remote, but they are the crossroads of the US and Asia.

I buy my fish from a guy with a homemade sign and a cooler on the side of the road. It was caught that morning. The Honolulu fish market auction at oh-dark-thirty is an amazing spectacle- a big portion immediately goes to Japan on dedicated air freighters. We got fish.

And when you get off the plane in Hawaii, you are immediately in an open air terminal- and the air feels and smells fantastic. You can't buy that.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:30 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tbutz
Come check out Florida! We have no personal income tax, year round warm weather, lots of beaches, and some really good race tracks!
The State's economy is also doing well.
I can expand on that - Rockefeller Family sent several scouts out to find the best WX in the U.S. year round in the 1900's. After several years of study, they concluded Daytona Beach was the place and they built their home here. Lots to offer. Car Guys: Daytona, Sebring, Homestead, Palm Beach, Etc Tracks plus numerous smaller racetracks. Boating: Ponce Inlet, easy access to the Atlantic Ocean, Great Fishing, Sailing and Boating, Gorgeous Bahama Islands access, numerous Marinas and Yacht clubs. Aviation enthusiasts and Pilots: The Spruce Creek Fly-In with 600.hangars for airplanes and collector cars putting you in touch with the world instantly. Not a Pilot? We'll teach you how or you can use Daytona Beach's International Airport right next to the nearby Racetrack. And only 5 miles to the (arguably) most beautiful beaches in the world. Most importantly, almost 4,000 local residents in our Fly-In with many if not most building or collecting great toys in their overgrown Toy Boxes. Also a very nice Country Club with Golf and Tennis within our Gated Community with our own 24/7 security. A huge range of home prices from $100K -
$5 Mil. Check it out: <scpoa.com>
Old 07-26-2019, 03:39 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

My wife and I visit Hawaii yearly, usually Oahu staying at the Sheraton and, this year we'll be adding Maui staying at the Ritz. Maybe Surf rider next year.

You don't need more than Liste-Renn's take on Hawaii but, I'll throw in that when I'm retired in 20-25 years, we'll likely have a home in Newport Beach as a base for 6 months out of the year and, we'll stay 3 months in Hawaii, 3 months in Japan or travel other countries. Having a California base will likely be our first choice but, I hate the taxes and, would seriously consider Florida as it is the closest thing we to a Libertarian tax abhorrent state that we have. I have a dream/goal of having an 80' Solarwave Yacht that I could travel the Pacific visiting Hawaii, Japan, Korea, New Zealand etc. based out of Newport. We'll see.

Good luck!

Dan (visits but would not live on an island for an extended period of time)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:31 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
My wife and I visit Hawaii yearly, usually Oahu staying at the Sheraton and, this year we'll be adding Maui staying at the Ritz. Maybe Surf rider next year.

You don't need more than Liste-Renn's take on Hawaii but, I'll throw in that when I'm retired in 20-25 years, we'll likely have a home in Newport Beach as a base for 6 months out of the year and, we'll stay 3 months in Hawaii, 3 months in Japan or travel other countries. Having a California base will likely be our first choice but, I hate the taxes and, would seriously consider Florida as it is the closest thing we to a Libertarian tax abhorrent state that we have. I have a dream/goal of having an 80' Solarwave Yacht that I could travel the Pacific visiting Hawaii, Japan, Korea, New Zealand etc. based out of Newport. We'll see.

Good luck!

Dan (visits but would not live on an island for an extended period of time)
The history of the place is pretty complex so it's hard to encapsulate it in a few paragraphs. I nevertheless appreciate the effort made by others to describe it. I had to take 2 years of Hawaiian history to graduate high school. Only a little bit of it remains in my memory 35 years later but a lot happened from the early migration waves from the South Pacific (did people know the Menehunes were real and evidence of them remains from the pre-Tahiti and Marquesas waves of immigration, but nobody knows where they came from?), to the different kingdoms of Oahu, Kauai, Maui and Hawaii island, to the conquering and consolidation under Kamehameha the Great, to the death of James Cooke at Kealakekua, to the missionary period, the abolishment of the kapu system, the overthrow by the "Committee for Safety" of the queen, to the territorial era, the new waves of immigration from Asia (and Portugal!), the Pearl Harbor attack, the vote for statehood in 1959 (I remember the 25th anniversary celebrations when in high school), the history of the labor movement, the death of the agricultural based economy, to the Hawaiian rights movement. It's far too difficult to understand without putting in the time there.

I laughed a bit when I read it's not a good place to deal with daily life, go to the grocery store etc. My friends who I still visit in Hilo live across the street from a grocery store (good old Sack 'N Save), and walk across the street in their slippers to buy their groceries. And that's an outer island. It is a very livable place if one accepts the inherent constraints.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

If you like outdoor activities and enjoy the ocean, welcome to Oahu
pro:
beautiful beaches
beautiful golf course
beautiful hiking spots
beautiful people
awesome food
we are much nicer and friendly here 🤪
All activities can be enjoy year round
absolutely safer than big cities in the mainland

cons:
public schools are not very good but depend on which county you’re living in. Hawai’i Kai and Kahala are my favorite counties. I grew up in Hawaii Kai and school system better there too. But really depend on your child and their motivation. I send my daughter to private school FYI
small rock and no race track, however there are many car clubs that you can join. PCA very active and promote a lot of fun events here.
Expensive, expensive and expensive from food to housing. Average home in town to Hawaii Kai can easily exceed $1 million (did I mention single wall, 50 years old and need a lot of upgrade if you’re getting use to high end materials). But I am sure you will be happy with $1.5 million house. Average luxury condo in the heart of town plus or minus $900k but most likely upward from there.
There are no where to enjoy your GT3 here, hence I am settle with lowly 911S. I truly believe it’s more fun driving NA engine and keep the rpm high to get the rush. But beware of cops and know where you can accelerate and slow down. Public safety should always be your priority.
I love golf and surfing and Hawai’i is home forever.
Ive been to LA, SF, OC, Chicago, NY, Boston, Pittsburgh, Vegas and many more major cities but always come home.

This is my backyard !!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving OUT of California