Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

4.2 liter for new GT3RS?

Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 AM
JC Lacayo
User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not moving the engine for displacement, that could be done by boring, stroke, etc., but by improving performance around a track. Moving the engine forward would be the way to make gains on the 'ring, for example. Chevy said moving the Corvette engine was the only way to make it better at this point, the same could be said for the GT3RS, no?
Old 07-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Waxer
Super User

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo View Post
Not moving the engine for displacement, that could be done by boring, stroke, etc., but by improving performance around a track. Moving the engine forward would be the way to make gains on the 'ring, for example. Chevy said moving the Corvette engine was the only way to make it better at this point, the same could be said for the GT3RS, no?
I suppose. However 4.2 and moving engine forward is a double win. No?

Also, GT3R with engine in the rear like the production RS and same basic engine won LeMan last year with the Dempsey Proton team and podiumed this year. Not shabby.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I like the rear weight bias. I'd prefer that it not move forward any further...
Old 07-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Waxer
Super User

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I like the rear weight bias. I'd prefer that it not move forward any further...
Well they still make the GT3R so I was wondering why the didnĺt change that one also?
Old 07-12-2019, 03:26 PM
Guest89
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer View Post
I suppose. However 4.2 and moving engine forward is a double win. No?

Also, GT3R with engine in the rear like the production RS and same basic engine won LeMan last year with the Dempsey Proton team and podiumed this year. Not shabby.
GTE Am is year old GTE spec, not GT3

Well they still make the GT3R so I was wondering why the didnĺt change that one also?
GT3 regs require higher fidelity with respect to the homologation car; e.g. the GT3 RS
Old 07-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Waxer
Super User

Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
GTE Am is year old GTE spec, not GT3

GT3 regs require higher fidelity with respect to the homologation car; e.g. the GT3 RS
Dave: confused. GT3 spec vs. GTEAM
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Me too.

I don't want no stinking mid/rear engine 911.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:17 AM
TuonoR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be out of date, but doesn't China have a 40% excise tax on > 4.0L displacement vehicles? Perhaps Porsche is willing to incur that on a model that is likely pretty small volume in that market. But I imagine there is a reason Ferrari, McLaren, AMG and others have centered on a 4 liter engine for their non-hyper cars.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:59 AM
Guest89
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave: confused. GT3 spec vs. GTEAM
GTE is only one spec. Am cars are at least a year old
Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 AM
groundhog
User

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Me too.

I don't want no stinking mid/rear engine 911.
I would prefer it move forward but then again my focus is in two different types of competition that are not Porsche only (which is not interesting). I'd rather drive against the best of the rest rather than hide in single class. 😀
Old 07-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TuonoR View Post
Could be out of date, but doesn't China have a 40% excise tax on > 4.0L displacement vehicles? Perhaps Porsche is willing to incur that on a model that is likely pretty small volume in that market. But I imagine there is a reason Ferrari, McLaren, AMG and others have centered on a 4 liter engine for their non-hyper cars.
That Chinese tax is still in effect and is another reason I"m sure the 992.1 GT3 engine will be a 4.0L from the 991.2 RS/Speedster.

China has become a major market for Porsche and this tax is most important for mass volume porsches such as the carrera and Turbo, but it will be interesting to see if Porsche will drop a 4.2L engine into its halo car, (the RS), as those numbers are low and assume that those rarified customers will just take the tax hit.

Plus my understanding is that compared to the US, which is basically the same market share as China, Porsche sells far fewer GT cars in China compared to SUVs, convertibles, etc.

Basically a lot more poseur drivers in China, and less enthusiasts, so an extra tax on just a 4.2L 992 RS may not affect overall Porsche sales there very much.

Last edited by Drifting; 07-13-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:46 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

GT cars rarely sell in China.

90% of the GT cars on the road in China are imported.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:46 AM
Jason Zhang
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the Chinese market simply doesn't have as much popularity and demand for GT and basically all enthusiast cars of all brands(like 675LT 458 SP type of stuff).
Old 07-15-2019, 03:03 PM
tqevo
User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Zhang View Post
Yes, the Chinese market simply doesn't have as much popularity and demand for GT and basically all enthusiast cars of all brands(like 675LT 458 SP type of stuff).
Makes sense... nowhere to drive with all those people and traffic in the city and third world countryside conditions.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

Originally Posted by tqevo View Post
Makes sense... nowhere to drive with all those people and traffic in the city and third world countryside conditions.
I really don't think it's that.

It's more that Porsche GT cars are really not flashy enough for the children of wealthy government officials in China, unlike a Lambo, McLaren or Ferrari. Cuz, it's not really like you have any nice roads in the major metro areas to unwind a 720S or a 488 or Performante.

At the end of the day, whether in China or the U.S., for hoi polloi a 911 GT3/RS really just looks like any old 911 with a tacky wing stuck on the back. An aftermarket wing, no less.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: