Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

double up
Old 07-11-2019, 07:45 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I would like to see the engine moved forward ala’ RSR. The rear space is wasted and unusable for the most part anyway. If their not afraid of racing a mid engine 911 that the entire world knows about why are they afraid of selling one?
I think it would be a smart move for the RS models, more so if you have the clubsport pack given the cage makes the "back seat" area inaccessible and unusable
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I think it would be a smart move for the RS models, more so if you have the clubsport pack given the cage makes the "back seat" area inaccessible and unusable
Zactly!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
Worth noting that a diffuser is more efficient at producing downforce than an aerofoil/wing, aka less corresponding drag. Everyone is running as big a diffuser as possible. Evolve or die.
Which goes to my point- with Balance of Performance rules what’s the real benefit of reduced drag? Any increase in outright lap speed will be taken away again. Any improvement in fuel efficiency is likewise subject to nullification by the FIA, who also adjust fuel tank size to prevent teams gaining advantage from longer runs. So why do teams run all run big diffusers? Because downforce reduces tire slip angle and promotes tire life, and wing size is regulated.

Tying any changes to GTE cars back to street cars is questionable in my mind because the regulations are forcing manufactures into doing highly artificial things to be competitive, and honestly I’d rather regulations allowed for a rear engine 911 to be competitive on a level playing field. The fact that it can’t be under regulations designed to make “street cars” viable highlights a problem.

Meanwhile for those that (somewhat rightly) say that form should follow function and mid engine is clearly best I’d respond that by that logic we should have a full of Aston Martin Valkyrie clones with no front engines or different body styles. Not quite the point of GT racing...
The following users liked this post:
sunnyr (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petevb
Which goes to my point- with Balance of Performance rules what’s the real benefit of reduced drag? Any increase in outright lap speed will be taken away again. Any improvement in fuel efficiency is likewise subject to nullification by the FIA, who also adjust fuel tank size to prevent teams gaining advantage from longer runs. So why do teams run all run big diffusers? Because downforce reduces tire slip angle and promotes tire life, and wing size is regulated.

Tying any changes to GTE cars back to street cars is questionable in my mind because the regulations are forcing manufactures into doing highly artificial things to be competitive, and honestly I’d rather regulations allowed for a rear engine 911 to be competitive on a level playing field. The fact that it can’t be under regulations designed to make “street cars” viable highlights a problem.

Meanwhile for those that (somewhat rightly) say that form should follow function and mid engine is clearly best I’d respond that by that logic we should have a full of Aston Martin Valkyrie clones with no front engines or different body styles. Not quite the point of GT racing...
Why is a rear engine 911 GTE non competitive? Because of tire wear?
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Correct. Higher tire wear means they can’t maintain pace on longer runs. Mid-engined cars are kinder on their rear tires and have more closely matched average and peak pace.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Correct. Higher tire wear means they can’t maintain pace on longer runs. Mid-engined cars are kinder on their rear tires and have more closely matched average and peak pace.
Thanks Pete.

What do do you mean by more closely match average and peak pace?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Thanks Pete.

I took that to mean more tire change outs which would reduce overall pace.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

I wonder if the rules allowed RWS on the race cars, a. would they use it? b. kept the RSR rear engined?
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 PM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks Pete.

Smaller standard deviation in lap times. The fastest lap isn't that much faster than the slower laps.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:26 AM
oneightee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This must be one of the the largest bores of any race or production engine in modern times. Have been doing some Googling and wasn't coming up with anything larger, even comparing to the Viper, Bentley or even diesel engines. Only engine i've found so far is the LS7.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:17 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Will the new GT3RS have a 4.2L?
No. 4.0 has much more space to grow, especially now with itb. In my modest opinion I think the only 2 different things between the engines of the gt3 and gt3 rs will be at the intake and maybe cams, nothing more.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:42 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RennOracle
No. 4.0 has much more space to grow, especially now with itb. In my modest opinion I think the only 2 different things between the engines of the gt3 and gt3 rs will be at the intake and maybe cams, nothing more.
??????

If 4.2 ....then didn’t 4.0 just grow .2 liters?

Last edited by Waxer; 07-12-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I suppose there's a possibility that both the GT3 and RS will have the 4.2. Got to have something to differentiate the new GT3s from GT4 4.0 and previous GT3. More low-down torque would be welcome for both.

GTE regs nowadays allow only one compound for all four tyres. With that Porsche can't use a harder compound for the rears and wear becomes an issue. IIRC that wasn't the case a few years ago.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JMartinni
I suppose there's a possibility that both the GT3 and RS will have the 4.2. Got to have something to differentiate the new GT3s from GT4 4.0 and previous GT3. More low-down torque would be welcome for both.

GTE regs nowadays allow only one compound for all four tyres. With that Porsche can't use a harder compound for the rears and wear becomes an issue. IIRC that wasn't the case a few years ago.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 4.2 liter for new GT3RS?