Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 liter for new GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

No way. Without moving the location of the engine.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
Not sure what you're saying here? They need to move the engine to increase the displacement 5% (which has no implications for the weight or outer dimensions of the motor)?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Oh come off that high horse about what defines 'a real drivers car'.

and by your own definition a gt3 will not be 'a real drivers car' either as point (4) relatively light weight absolutely does not apply given the modern gt3 is almost 1500kg....
That is my definition and also would be the answer from the overwhelming majority of auto journalists, and the majority of GT car owners. Not saying it's a perfect truth, but the closest thing to defining a drivers car.

I know the GT3 is heavier than it used to be which is why I use the wording RELATIVELY lightweight not just the word lightweight, as a GT3 is not as light as air cooled cars, but is still much lighter than most other modern performance cars such corvettes, M3s, AMGs, etc.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:32 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
That is my definition and also would be the answer from the overwhelming majority of auto journalists, and the majority of GT car owners. Not saying it's a perfect truth, but the closest thing to defining a drivers car.
So a 991 RS (gen 1 or 2) wouldn't be a drivers car? Or the 991.2 gt3 in dual clutch while the manual version is?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Yes, though remember that with Balance Of Performance any improvement in absolute pace is simply taken away again to keep the racing as close as possible, so that added downforce by itself is of limited use and not worth the trouble. What both the mid engine and downforce do as a consequence, however, is reduce wear on the rear tires. That in turn improves average pace on long runs, and that’s how you win under BOP regulations. It’s a bit of a shame that it works out this way; while the mid-engine layout in undoubtedly more effective it sounds like crap. And I do feel it’s somewhat disingenuous in a “911”.
Worth noting that a diffuser is more efficient at producing downforce than an aerofoil/wing, aka less corresponding drag. Everyone is running as big a diffuser as possible. Evolve or die.

Look at the extension of the diffuser on Aston Martin's Vantage GTE!

Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

I know the GT3 is heavier than it used to be which is why I use the wording RELATIVELY lightweight not just the word lightweight, as a GT3 is not as light as air cooled cars, but is still much lighter than most other modern performance cars such corvettes, M3s, AMGs, etc.
Have a read of this article by Angus McKenzie at Motortrend and is pretty sensible.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/pors...-or-automatic/
Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,775 Likes on 4,773 Posts

The only thing worse on Rennlist than a value thread is a PDK v. MT thread.

Let me take that back. The worst thing on Rennlist is whether a PDK or MT will have better resale value.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The only thing worse on Rennlist than a value thread is a PDK v. MT thread.

Let me take that back. The worst thing on Rennlist is whether a PDK or MT will have better resale value.
We aren't debating MT vs PDK.. we are debating how Porsche makes decisions for new models and options.

Swim suit model vs runway model .. MT vs PDK .. which is better? Depends what you want to do with them. Both are pretty amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Drifting (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:06 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iphilips
Swim suit model vs runway model ... which is better? Depends what you want to do with them.
I’m confused - I want to do the same thing with both of them
The following users liked this post:
erik_plus8 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm going to leave this one alone .. this will come back to haunt me 😂
Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
lol
Old 07-11-2019, 02:41 AM
TT Chris
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Guess that takes care of all the naysayers that said Porsche couldn't/wouldn't build a 4.2L flat six.....
Just like those naysayers that said there wouldn't be a 991.2 GT3RS. Saying they have credible info from someone high up at PAG 😒
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
We aren't debating MT vs PDK.. we are debating how Porsche makes decisions for new models and options.

Swim suit model vs runway model .. MT vs PDK .. which is better? Depends what you want to do with them. Both are pretty amazing.
Yep - I think Porsche would simply run a straight business case - is there a niche to fill answer (a) yes (b) no - if answer is yes move to question (2) will the business case provide a return on capital as required by the (Board/executive committee/business unit). (a) Yes (b) no - if answer is yes carry on until the next key decision point which is scheduled for x.

I think Porsche are extraordinarily linear in this regard. Then the marketing department makes it schmaltzy followed by the re-release of psychology profiles that amazingly say we are:
  • The top gun profile consists of an ambitious and driven individual who cares about being noticed, power and control.
  • The elitist profile, includes an individual from old money (blue blood), has the attitude a car is just a vehicle and not an expression of a person’s personality.
  • The proud patrons owner profile sees a Porsche as a trophy considering it a reward for hard work with ownership as the main goal not being noticed.
  • The Bon Vivants profile consists of thrill seekers and jet-setters with the Porsche as a means of excitement.
  • The fantasist profile sees the Porsche as a form of escape and does not care about impressing others.
Its easy sell things to people they want, reinforce its a special product through marketing and then let the owners know they are special e.g. "top gun"

You won't see the the following: lets make this gear box because its cheap and the cars are slower so we can sell them to sleazy stock broker types and other gamblers that drive like d bags . Porsche are great at marketing and the general age group these cars sell into is both high income and somewhat nostalgic.

They know their market and their target buyer and feed both accordingly.

Which brings me to funny ads - anyone remember the add where there was an air cooled 911 parked on a gravel driveway in front of a small manor house (actually in the vernacular a hunting box), two people standing by the rear of the car, a male and female mid-forties, both svelte, dressed in neat slacks and sweaters. The boot lid up, the man holding a saddle over one arm, the female - or rather Lady was looking up at him............

There is a whole essay in psychology and marketing in this add and also a little bit of insecurity

Last edited by groundhog; 07-11-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
I would like to see the engine moved forward ala’ RSR. The rear space is wasted and unusable for the most part anyway. If their not afraid of racing a mid engine 911 that the entire world knows about why are they afraid of selling one?

Quick Reply: 4.2 liter for new GT3RS?