Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
Default CPO question

Looking at a GT3 and came across a CPO vehicle. I’m being told that the cpo is only for 1.5 years b/c it was acquired under an existing cpo.

I thought when an official Porsche dealer offers a cpo vehicle that it needs to be “recertified” and that on delivery the cpo clock starts ticking.

Is this his correct or not? Anyone have a similar situation? Thx
Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

CPO only transferable if doing a private sale, dealers MUST re-certify..I purchased several CPO vehicles all with dealer certification dealers have stated that they have to do a re-certification when they re-sell even though my trade-in vehicle had an existing CPO. Hope it helps.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Rennlist Member

That’s what I thought too. Wonder why this person is telling me different. As I expand my search, I have also gotten conflicting responses in regard to purchasing the platinum vsc that is Porsche branded. Some dealers have told me that it’s not available on a gt3 and others have said it can be purchased before expiration of cpo.

Either the dealers have the autonomy to do what they want to do, ie PCNA has no formal guidelines or no one really knows. Very frustrating as I cannot see any reason why dealer would NOT want to offer a vsc.

Last edited by 8202632; 07-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:54 PM
Rennlist Member

FYI. I have sent the following email to PCNA to get some clarity. I will share the response once I (hopefully) receive one. Stay tuned!

I am in the process of shopping for a preowned GT3 (2015). I have come across several vehicles that are covered under CPO and I have inquired about purchasing the Porsche Platinum VSC on top of that. I’m getting several conflicting answers from the sales and finance folks that handle these contracts. Here are my questions that I need a base level of clarity as to the correct or incorrect answer:

1. Does a 2015 GT3 (NON CPO) with under 20,000 miles on it qualify to purchase the Platinum VSC? If so does it matter whether it was sourced at an official Porsche dealer or a non Porsche dealer? Does it matter whether it is still in factory warranty or not?

2. Does a 2015 GT3 (CPO) vehicle with under 20,000 miles on it qualify to purchase the Platinum VSC

3. I came across a car that is listed as having only 1 ½ years of CPO coverage (at an official Porsche dealer). The dealer is telling me that they acquired the car from the previous owner and it was already a CPO vehicle, so the remainder applies. I thought that a CPO vehicle had to be reinspected before marketing it as a CPO vehicle and that the 2 year period would start upon delivery of the vehicle.

4. A GT3 with PCCB option. If a dealer offers a PCCB GT3 as a CPO vehicle, what are the specific requirements for measurement of the brake rotors? I know there is a special tool for that and want to know if a measurement is required before offering it as a CPO vehicle. I know that the pads must be at 50%, but if the rotors are not inspected correctly, this could be an expensive up front expense if not inspected correctly.

Thanks for your attention to this. Again, these questions are being raised due to the inconsistency of the dealer network responses received thus far.
The following users liked this post:
Andi (07-03-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 AM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the platinum plan on my 18 GT3
Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

I'll be curious to hear the response from PCNA.

This weekend as I was at the dealer getting an oil change I asked to pull up my records and we found that it's a CPO car through 11/2020, to my surprise. I had asked if they'd still honor it even though I didn't go through some sort of formal transfer process and the SA said they absolutely would. So it contradicts what I've read on the internet, but if the SA says its true then I'm running with it.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Rennlist Member

This is the biggest chicken $hit answer that I received from PCNA. With these types of questions, wouldn't they assume that I already know how to navigate the website and find this information? And that this information provides me no answers? No wonder there is so much mistrust with the dealer network. My local dealer Gossett Porsche in Memphis, TN told me via email that "they do not have access to write the coverage." What the heck does that mean?!?!?!?!?!?

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America. We appreciate your interest in purchasing a Porsche!

Regretfully, we would be unable to provide the information you are seeking in regard to the Porsche Protection Plan. This plan is sold through our dealers, and the Sales and Finance Departments would be in the best position to answer any questions you have. With that said, we encourage you to visit our website were you can find further details on the plan, and can download a copy of the brochure. For your convenience, I have included the link here.

Please know that the CPO Warranty will transfer to the new owner as long as the transaction is completed at an authorized Porsche Dealership or through a private person to person sale. If a vehicle has a CPO warranty that has already started, the warranty will remain with the vehicle until it expires and the clock does not reset if/when the vehicle is purchased by a new owner. Porsche Cars North America provides the dealership with a checklist to assure a vehicle meets the standards of a Porsche Approved CPO vehicle at certification. However, it is the dealership's responsibility to adhere to, and confirm the qualifications at the time of certification. Beyond the time of which a vehicle has been certified, it is at the dealerships discretion as to how the vehicle is maintained and the condition it is sold. For more information on the CPO process and warranty, please visit this link.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer is logically consistent. If the car was already certified, it can be sold “as is” with the remainder of the CPO warranty intact. This avoids paying Porsche the certification fee. However, the car can always be re-certified again to restart the clock, with the downside of needing to pay Porsche the certification fee again.

So, if you’re willing to pay ~$3,500 to get 6 months of additional warranty, go for it. Otherwise the existing certification can be transferred.

As for the less than helpful response from PCNA, this is not surprising. Service plans are an opportunity for dealer profit. Almost certainly everything PCNA is allowed to say about it is carefully negotiated with their dealer network. They are most likely not allowed to provide any additional information, else they might contradict the sales pitch given by an F&I or sales person. It sucks, but it’s an unavoidable artifact of the independent dealership model creating a two-sided market where the dealers are just as much Porsche’s customers as you are (in fact more so, since you’re paying the dealers, not Porsche. The dealers pay Porsche).

Quick Reply: CPO question