Sponsored by:

Thinking about a GT3RS -- Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 07:10 AM
tubwreck
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thinking about a GT3RS -- Advice Sought

After renting a 991.1 GT3RS for a trackday, I'm seriously thinking about trading my 991.1 C2 for a used 2016 991.1 GT3RS. Looking for some advice...
  • Asking prices seem to be 165-175 for private party sales, (less for high mile track cars) with transaction prices perhaps $5K under ask, based on BAT results. These cars typically have 6-12 months of warranty remaining. CPO asking prices typically 175-190, transaction prices unknown, with prices in the northeast higher than the rest of the country. Is CPO worth the extra money? After factoring in transportation costs, it doesn't seem worth the hassle to buy a mid-west car and have it transported.
  • If you moved to a GT3RS from a plain GT3 or a non-GT car, did you find yourself driving your 911 less often? If you drive it less, is it the extreme nature of the car? Fewer creature comforts (e.g. the LWB seats)? The conspicuousness? Wanting to preserve the value of the car?
  • Do you have two (or more) sets of wheels? Do you swap wheels yourself? Have you ever dropped the rim on your PCCB rotor? Do you have a set of more "all-season" tires so that you can drive the car when it's below 40 F outside?
  • Have you bottomed or scraped the front of your car beyond just scuffing the "sacrificial" rubber splitter lip?
  • Do you have a front plate?
  • When you track your car, do you buy the insurance?
  • Are you happy that you bought the car? What are the best (and worst) things about owning a GT3RS?

Thanks and happy motoring!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:13 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

I think its very dependant on your priorities Daily driver Vs track toy etc. Also a lot would depend on the spec for example LWBs Vs 18 way. So many variables to consider.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses if you outline your planned usage

My primary use is tarmac rally - so for me, I accept the risks, however the rewards outstrip the risks from my perspective.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 AM
tubwreck
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, my C2 is a wonderful daily driver that gets used for the occasional track day. It is OK for a track days, but limited by the overly tall gearing (especially 2 to 3), lack of support from the seat, and marginal oiling and irritating TPMS behavior when using Cup2 tires. The GT3RS is sublime on the track, but I hope to use it regularly on the street as well.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:45 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by tubwreck
After renting a 991.1 GT3RS for a trackday, I'm seriously thinking about trading my 991.1 C2 for a used 2016 991.1 GT3RS. Looking for some advice...
  • Asking prices seem to be 165-175 for private party sales, (less for high mile track cars) with transaction prices perhaps $5K under ask, based on BAT results. These cars typically have 6-12 months of warranty remaining. CPO asking prices typically 175-190, transaction prices unknown, with prices in the northeast higher than the rest of the country. Is CPO worth the extra money? After factoring in transportation costs, it doesn't seem worth the hassle to buy a mid-west car and have it transported.
  • If you moved to a GT3RS from a plain GT3 or a non-GT car, did you find yourself driving your 911 less often? If you drive it less, is it the extreme nature of the car? Fewer creature comforts (e.g. the LWB seats)? The conspicuousness? Wanting to preserve the value of the car?
  • Do you have two (or more) sets of wheels? Do you swap wheels yourself? Have you ever dropped the rim on your PCCB rotor? Do you have a set of more "all-season" tires so that you can drive the car when it's below 40 F outside?
  • Have you bottomed or scraped the front of your car beyond just scuffing the "sacrificial" rubber splitter lip?
  • Are you happy that you bought the car? What are the best (and worst) things about owning a GT3RS?

CPO is piece of mind but not mandatory....cars are built very well
GT3 to RS....Drive it the same....value of the car is how much you can drive it, not how much you think it might be worth at some point in the future....feel bad for people that buy a car with that in mind
No
No, except to stick one on for inspection....
No
Yes

Just buy the car, it will not disappoint....you have roughly until the end of November/ middle of December to drive it being where you are.....don't think too much or you'll miss out on some quality miles....
Old 07-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I think 991.1rs is the best road car out of any 991gt. Best ride on the road imo. 2nd best on track (behind 991.2-3rs). So it's a great combo track/street GT esp if you want pdk.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

• Get CPO and transport if you find the car you want somewhere else. West coast prices are higher than NE IMO. The cost to transport will soon be forgotten but not getting the spec you want won't.
  • Value of my 997 RS 4.0 bothered me and inhibited driving; why it went to a better home. Others no. And with current volumes being produced trying to keep miles down to preserve value is a losers game. Life is short - shut up and drive.
  • Nope, but if you plan to track a lot it's a good idea to have an extra set of wheels. Get the center lock alignment tool to avoid hitting the rotors.
  • Only when I go Dukes of Hazard.
  • Not required in my situation.
  • Absolutely. Have seen all kinds of incidents at DE's, up to and including rollovers. Porsche repairs get expensive quick and insurance is cheap peace of mind.
  • My fourth one so nuff said.

See above.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I think 991.1rs is the best road car out of any 991gt. Best ride on the road imo. 2nd best on track (behind 991.2-3rs). So it's a great combo track/street GT esp if you want pdk.
^ This.

There are a couple listed for sale here at great prices too.

Trending Topics

Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

.2 GT3 owner here but will say the best driving experience of my life was a .1 3RS on track. Love the agressive pdk shifts on track and sure they are fun on street too. I went .2 because MT is a must have for me but the .1 RS would have been my next choice.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:19 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I liked my .1 RS a ton. I traded it for a Radical and a 991.2S because I was using the RS as a dedicated track car and figured the Radical would be better for that purpose. The .1RS is a great street car - better in some regards than either GT3 because of rear visibility (higher wing).

When I had the RS I also had an Open Track policy - so yes, I ensured it for track use. I couldn't accept the idea of a total loss of a $230K car (prices when I owned mine). Note: I don't have a policy on the Radical - feels different and cheaper anyway.

Thing I liked the most: PDK on the track. It's absolutely perfect
Thing I liked the least: atrocious PCM and no back-up camera

If you want an RS totally go for it. It's a great car. My humble opinion (and not shared by many on RL) is that the .2 GT3 is a better all around car than the .1RS including track use. When I bought my GT3 I could have picked up another RS for the same money.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:34 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

I would keep your 991.1 C2 and enjoy driving it daily without the conspicuousness of the RS wing unless you are in a place with perfect roads. If you daily the RS it will feel less special and if it has LWB it will be a pain to get in and out of. I had intended to daily mine but in practical terms, has been impossible to do so, not to mention the depreciation of extra miles while you sit in traffic in roads with potholes. That's the beauty of the regular C2/C2S, it's a Swiss knife. You would be replacing it with a scalpel.... do you really want to use a scalpel for bread and butter???

1-Never scraped front and don't have front axle lift either
2-Single set of wheels
3-Have iron brake discs, very nice modulation slow speeds/traffic, dust pita....
4-no front plate
5-best thing? feels like you're driving a 934/935 race car on the road minus the turbo lag; lovely sounds, amazing feedback, feels so good, tight and controlled, makes you feel in absolute control, amazing engine and pdk combo, and RS is RS;
6-worst thing? needs a track, and a'hem my Tesla 3P is faster 98% of the time though a sterile experience (sad...)

Last edited by catdog2; 07-01-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

What everyone said above. The .1RS is the most comfortable king of the track.
I think it won’t by much more uncomfortable then a C2, even. The .2RS is a different story..
Old 07-01-2019, 05:12 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I moved from a 991.1 C2s to a gen 2 nsx and then to a 991.1 RS. So far I've put 6k miles on the RS in 6 months, more than what I've done for the other cars in a year. It's very comfortable for me to ride in. The exhaust drone can get annoying sometimes, but can be solved by driving faster.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 AM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

C2 to GT3RS is a huge jump. If you’re going to do track driving and do street driving, I think the 3RS is one of the sweetest cars around. I mean, come on, street or track, the 3RS is incredible. It’s tight and precise, and it delivers a sound track with few rivals.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:26 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
If you want an RS totally go for it. It's a great car. My humble opinion (and not shared by many on RL) is that the .2 GT3 is a better all around car than the .1RS including track use. When I bought my GT3 I could have picked up another RS for the same money.
I agree. I would not trade my .2GT3 for a .1GT3RS. Plus, the .2GT3 has a better engine.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:33 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I agree. I would not trade my .2GT3 for a .1GT3RS. Plus, the .2GT3 has a better engine.
This was my initial opinion but I've changed my mind after enough seat-time and miles in the .2 Gt3. I'll take the .1rs over the .2 Gt3 unless you want a manual. But I could see how anyone could go either way; it's a close horse race imo and just depends on wha suits your needs/wants better.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a GT3RS -- Advice Sought