2014 GT3 dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:31 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc007
not sure what you mean by that...but OK
All you’re lacking is the DLC coated cams if I understand correctly, but you’ll have all the other G-series updates as if it were a 2016 (which seemingly have been rather solid).

I wouldn't worry about it much at all. Getting on here isn’t going to help unnecessary engine anxiety.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
All you’re lacking is the DLC coated cams if I understand correctly, but you’ll have all the other G-series updates as if it were a 2016 (which seemingly have been rather solid).

I wouldn't worry about it much at all. Getting on here isn’t going to help unnecessary engine anxiety.
Ah ok! Have in mind I sometimes don’t understand the “hidden” message, as English is not my native language. Fully understood!

Good point on the anxiety, but every step I take, I take it with caution...here in Europe these cars aren’t that “cheap”...140.000 it’s the cheapest one around...

thanks
Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The 10/100k warranty on the 991.1 GT3 is good, no doubt.

But like @bigkraig said up above, any time you do a heart transplant on a car, you're more likely than not going to end up with little niggles that just either (1) weren't there before or (2) exacerbates whatever problems were there previously. Neither of which is a good thing.

So while I get the whole "I won the lottery! My engine just imploded and I'm getting a new engine!" meme, it's a bit of an oversimplification and too blasé.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:19 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But like @bigkraig said up above, any time you do a heart transplant on a car, you're more likely than not going to end up with little niggles that just either (1) weren't there before or (2) exacerbates whatever problems were there previously. Neither of which is a good thing.
Can you please explain or give an example?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:38 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Can you please explain or give an example?
+1 - still waiting for someone to elaborate on all these issues the .1s have that are being mentioned in previous posts.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:10 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 10/100k warranty on the 991.1 GT3 is good, no doubt.

So while I get the whole "I won the lottery! My engine just imploded and I'm getting a new engine!" meme, it's a bit of an oversimplification and too blasé.
So what happens when they have to swap out the motor on a cup car? Are they just retired, send off to pasture? Surely they can’t be competitive anymore in this estimation.

This is a 10 year warranty on a 9k screamer of an engine, downplaying how incredible that is is too blasé. Porsche is betting you that you can’t blow it up, that’s a bet I’ll take any day.... Especially when the price of admission is saving $40-50k on the same exact car.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
So what happens when they have to swap out the motor on a cup car? Are they just retired, send off to pasture? Surely they can’t be competitive anymore in this estimation.

This is a 10 year warranty on a 9k screamer of an engine, downplaying how incredible that is is too blasé. Porsche is betting you that you can’t blow it up, that’s a bet I’ll take any day.... Especially when the price of admission is saving $40-50k on the same exact car.
Well, if I had my own pit crew I wouldn't worry about it either.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Pc007
Racer

So guys the dilemma is over!!! I bought the GT3....and it’s amazing!!!

Thank you you all for your inputs and feedback! It sure helped me to decide and enlighten me about this car...this amazing car!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Pc007:
Andi (07-12-2019), RDCR (07-12-2019), robmypro (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Thank you you all for your inputs and feedback! It sure helped me to decide and enlighten me about this car...this amazing car!!
Good decision! Enjoy!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Well done! Ton of car for the money, with warranty to boot! Enjoy!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
+1 - still waiting for someone to elaborate on all these issues the .1s have that are being mentioned in previous posts.
I deleted my spreadsheet of issues about 6mo after getting my lemon law payout..

Off the top of my head, my replacement motor had an oil consumption problem, it required about a half bottle of oil every tank of gas. Basically the oil and gas lights were on nearly the same intervals. Outside of that and a bunch of random other issues that they had to repair but I have forgotten, the main wiring harness needed to be replaced after replacing the motor the second time. IIRC they think something may have gotten pinched or damaged during the motor swap.

By the time the motor was replaced (this was before the 100k warranty action) the car had been in the shop for something like 45+ days. The replacement motor fixed things I didn't even realize were issues like lag/near stalls when getting on the gas, one of which could have caused a t-bone because I was trying to make a quick left turn through traffic.

I had lost count of the times I was at an event and the engine would RPM fail on me. I recently tried to pull up some old gopro videos to show a friend some clips about 1/3rd of the ones I tried (copied about 10) had either myself or my girlfriend experiencing high RPM failures.

All in all a total ****ing nightmare and a really bad experience. I loved the car but the motor problems ruined many weekends (lost dues, wasted nights in ****ty hotels by tracks, etc) and the uncertainty over the course of the 13 months it took to lemon were all sore spots..

15 months later and I am back in a 991.2
Old 07-12-2019, 10:15 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I deleted my spreadsheet of issues about 6mo after getting my lemon law payout..

Off the top of my head, my replacement motor had an oil consumption problem, it required about a half bottle of oil every tank of gas. Basically the oil and gas lights were on nearly the same intervals. Outside of that and a bunch of random other issues that they had to repair but I have forgotten, the main wiring harness needed to be replaced after replacing the motor the second time. IIRC they think something may have gotten pinched or damaged during the motor swap.

By the time the motor was replaced (this was before the 100k warranty action) the car had been in the shop for something like 45+ days. The replacement motor fixed things I didn't even realize were issues like lag/near stalls when getting on the gas, one of which could have caused a t-bone because I was trying to make a quick left turn through traffic.

I had lost count of the times I was at an event and the engine would RPM fail on me. I recently tried to pull up some old gopro videos to show a friend some clips about 1/3rd of the ones I tried (copied about 10) had either myself or my girlfriend experiencing high RPM failures.

All in all a total ****ing nightmare and a really bad experience. I loved the car but the motor problems ruined many weekends (lost dues, wasted nights in ****ty hotels by tracks, etc) and the uncertainty over the course of the 13 months it took to lemon were all sore spots..

15 months later and I am back in a 991.2
From my earlier post: "Other then the obvious replacement engine issue what issues does the .1 have when tracked that were eliminated with the .2s?"

Seems like your main issue was the engine and engine install related. Someone else mentioned other reliability issues with the .1 at the track and I'm still wondering what those might be. I've had my GT3 9 months now with 8 track days and so far it's been the best Porsche I have owned / tracked to date which is why I'm looking for enlightenment here. I'd love to get a replacement engine in my car but I suppose if I had all the issues you had after a new engine was installed I would be pissed too!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Pc007
Racer

Thanks guys!!

Car is amazing, just drove it and I just keep making up things to get out and drive!!

As to the problems they are far back in my mind as the warranty makes me “sleep at night” with the tranquility... even because the car is so good that I even don’t remember the issues that this car had in the past.

Love the rawness of the car... it’s like an all new experience to me ... and I love it ...

my turbo is fast... but not remotely as fun as the Gt3...
Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thanks guys!!

Car is amazing, just drove it and I just keep making up things to get out and drive!!

As to the problems they are far back in my mind as the warranty makes me “sleep at night” with the tranquility... even because the car is so good that I even don’t remember the issues that this car had in the past.

Love the rawness of the car... it’s like an all new experience to me ... and I love it ...

my turbo is fast... but not remotely as fun as the Gt3...
Congrats!
Old 07-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Pc007
Racer

Originally Posted by robmypro
Congrats!
Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3 dilemma