Sponsored by:

Sydney Australia Lifestyle - GT3 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:23 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Sydney Australia Lifestyle - GT3 Owners

Hey Rennlist. I recently moved to Sydney where my fiance is from. I love the city. Its different from Southern California(San Diego where I grew up for 30 years) but doesnt feel like im in another country. As far as the roads go.....they arent the most efficient. I looked up if I could ship my GT3 Rs out here but I would not be able to keep it here since the drivers seat is on left hand side. Looking to possibly purchase a GT3 here one day but the prices are out of control. I guess thats how it is here. Any owners from Sydney on here?

The plan for now is to live here for a few years(I go back to California every once in awhile). My RS is with my brother who owns a GT3.1

I really love the quality of life here. Crime is very low. No guns(lol). Although California was not so bad as well. Would like to purchase a home since will be here for some time. I was thinking North Sydney. Right now im in Wolli Creek.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey RyanSD, welcome to Sydney, home of inefficient roads, ridiculously priced GT cars and not so many guns. Ineffably stupid politicians and public figures, but you'll be familiar with that.

Plenty of great places to live and North Sydney gives you ready access to most things you might want, lots of great driving once you're out of the city, a few tracks within 2 hours drive. Hope you can get your hands on a car soon – 991.1 GT3s are a relative bargain – and you can catch up on some driving
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Hey Ryan have fun in Australia! Look at Golf Rs and A45 AMGs, as both are great hot hatches and are easier on the wallet when it comes to filling up.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:09 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Gastrogt3
......Ineffably stupid politicians and public figures, but you'll be familiar with that.

Plenty of great places to live and North Sydney gives you ready access to most things you might want, lots of great driving once you're out of the city, a few tracks within 2 hours drive........

"Australia Lifestyle" thread in 3....2....1....
Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 PM
crayon991
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Ryan,

Welcome

I just picked up my 3RS in Sydney recently, there is something here we call "the Australia Tax"-- have you made it out to any local race tracks?

The following users liked this post:
Surgio (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Aussie Aussie Aussie
Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to Sydney!
Yep cars are expensive here (compared to the US)

What are you currently driving?
Would be great to do a little meet up.
I have 3RS and one fo my friends had 3RS too we could catch up around Nth Syd if you like.
Will PM you.
The following users liked this post:
Surgio (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:18 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Originally Posted by Gastrogt3
Hey RyanSD, welcome to Sydney, home of inefficient roads, ridiculously priced GT cars and not so many guns. Ineffably stupid politicians and public figures, but you'll be familiar with that.

Plenty of great places to live and North Sydney gives you ready access to most things you might want, lots of great driving once you're out of the city, a few tracks within 2 hours drive. Hope you can get your hands on a car soon – 991.1 GT3s are a relative bargain – and you can catch up on some driving
I head back to California for a few weeks so ill def catch up on some driving. Thank you for the welcome

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hey Ryan have fun in Australia! Look at Golf Rs and A45 AMGs, as both are great hot hatches and are easier on the wallet when it comes to filling up.
I am driving a 135i hatchback. forgot how much fun small bmw's are!

Originally Posted by crayon991
Hi Ryan,

Welcome

I just picked up my 3RS in Sydney recently, there is something here we call "the Australia Tax"-- have you made it out to any local race tracks?

Congratulations and thank you for the welcome. What a great color and choice. I have no made it out to any tracks!

Originally Posted by iphilips
Aussie Aussie Aussie
Oye Oye
Old 06-25-2019, 02:46 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Originally Posted by goldberg
Welcome to Sydney!
Yep cars are expensive here (compared to the US)

What are you currently driving?
Would be great to do a little meet up.
I have 3RS and one fo my friends had 3RS too we could catch up around Nth Syd if you like.
Will PM you.
Cant wait!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:04 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by RyanSD
I looked up if I could ship my GT3 Rs out here but I would not be able to keep it here since the drivers seat is on left hand side.
SoCal and Sydney are definitely very close in terms of weather. Sydney does not have the crime of SoCal but it is by no means Singapore. Gun crime is low but not non-existent. Sydney traffic is terrible during peak hours and Police have little tolerance for speeding (10km/h up is the acceptable buffer, anymore are you asking for it) with red light with speed measuring capabilities everywhere (if you run a red light and break the speed limit, you get 2 tickets and a lot of demerit points).

To answer your question, you have to wait 30 years (from production year) to register a Left Hand Drive car in Australia, not impossible but pretty much not going to happen. Australia Government also killed the proposed changes in these recent years to Personal Imports which would have allowed anyone to import a late model car from Right Hand Drive production models but got pressured by the Automotive Lobby to not move forward (pretty much all the car manufacturers and their dealer networks) with disclaimers like a personal imported like for like model will not get local warranty or support etc + pressure that the local car economy will tank killing off jobs (pretty much a whole lot of BS to protect their extorting practices on top of the Government’s Luxury Car Tax).
Old 06-26-2019, 03:13 AM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

You will be missed in San Diego. Let us know when you are back in town.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome. Lots of Sydney Porsche people here including a fleet of guys tracking GT3 and GT3RS. We are more drivers than keyboard racer guys.
Come out and say hi.
http://pcnsw.onefireplace.com/event-3461257
Old 06-26-2019, 12:31 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Hey Rennlist. I recently moved to Sydney where my fiance is from. I love the city. Its different from Southern California(San Diego where I grew up for 30 years) but doesnt feel like im in another country. As far as the roads go.....they arent the most efficient. I looked up if I could ship my GT3 Rs out here but I would not be able to keep it here since the drivers seat is on left hand side. Looking to possibly purchase a GT3 here one day but the prices are out of control. I guess thats how it is here. Any owners from Sydney on here?

The plan for now is to live here for a few years(I go back to California every once in awhile). My RS is with my brother who owns a GT3.1

I really love the quality of life here. Crime is very low. No guns(lol). Although California was not so bad as well. Would like to purchase a home since will be here for some time. I was thinking North Sydney. Right now im in Wolli Creek.
Oz taxes = high auto price points

enjoy Sydney - lived in Elizabeth Bay for 4 years and they have great beaches but get down to Melbourne even more fun IMO
Old 06-26-2019, 01:00 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I love Sydney. Will be visiting there in August (combo work and vaca). Not an expert by any stretch - just go for work once a year. People are great, food is great, Sydney is very pretty. Seems less crime-y and less aggro than here. Love the Eastside - expensive housing wise though.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Surgio
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Cant wait!
Welcome to Sydney, Nsyd is where @goldberg and I usually hang out. It is close to city yet without the massive crowds and quiet during the weekend. Few nice lookout spots for photoshoot.

enjoy your stay in Sydney.

Last edited by Surgio; 06-26-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Sydney Australia Lifestyle - GT3 Owners