991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2 noise GT3

Old 06-24-2019, 02:36 PM
LongClose
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The gt3 I am buying does not have the gt sport manual transmission.
What will I be missing?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by LongClose
What will I be missing?
A huge amount if you are a Manual Gearbox fan. Otherwise, if you prefer not to have 3 pedals the PDK is excellent also.

Usually the people who prefer the Manual are not asking any such question. It's the people who inquire who would typically be better suited to the PDK car.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM
LongClose
Rennlist Member

I’m confused.
Its a manual gear box I will never own a pdk.

But on the build sheet it had no price next to 6 speed gt gearbox - Does that mean it’s included?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

To the GT3 owners ( my wife has good hearing) is this car too loud for a ride in the country on a Sunday if I don’t lean on it?
"Too loud" is very relative. IMO, the stock exhaust isn't loud in the cabin at all, if you don't get on it. Even if you do, it's not terribly loud at all and normal conversations and the radio are quite audible.

now it’s the buckets I have to get her to love.
Again...all relative to size, shape, and tolerances. We did close to 21 days in Europe and the GF and I were very comfortable. She would easily nap in the seats...

What will I be missing?
I wanted the PDK-S because of the motor. A screaming 9k race motor demads a transmission to match and 1,700 miles later, it puts a grin on my face every time. The up/down shifts are like gunshots and I have the option of "manual" as well.

The manual transmission is good, but it's an entirely different car. PDK-S matches the motor better, IMO.

You won't go wrong with either choice.
The following users liked this post:
Ducati1199 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I’m confused.
Its a manual gear box I will never own a pdk.

But on the build sheet it had no price next to 6 speed gt gearbox - Does that mean it’s included?
Manual is a no-cost option - you have to select it (or PDK is the default), but there is no cost.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

991.2 3 and 3rs are the loudest Porsches oem I've ever owned (I've owned a few). But i mean that in a complimentary way. They are the only P-GT's I've bought and not made the exhaust note louder with some kind of bypass. So you aren't imagining things. When i was younger , there was only one desired effect: louder exhaust note. As I get older I'm learning to appreciate a modest and quality exhaust note that still allows you to hear a lotta mechanical noises that my prior cars completely droned out with WHAAAAAAAAAA! I see all the posts about the 991.2 3 being ridiculously quiet. that was me 5-10yrs ago and it AINT anything close to a quiet car.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
LongClose
Rennlist Member

Ok. Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Let’s be honest, folks, it’s a noisy car. Tire noise. Engine noise. Not at all unpleasant or obnoxious but it is not a quiet car by any measure. When I’m on my phone at freeway speeds I feel like I’m yelling.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^yes
Old 06-24-2019, 05:47 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Don't forget the transmission noise

Originally Posted by Jzips
Let’s be honest, folks, it’s a noisy car. Tire noise. Engine noise. Not at all unpleasant or obnoxious but it is not a quiet car by any measure. When I’m on my phone at freeway speeds I feel like I’m yelling.
The PDK makes it sound like the car is dragging battleship anchor chains behind it for the first mile or so after leaving the house. THAT took some getting used to. LOL.

The sound of the PDK changing gears at 9k RPM is just outrageous. Especially with a center exhaust bypass from any of the major vendors. Outrageous fun. Almost nothing like it on the road -- except maybe a 458 Speciale <smile>.

I ordered the car with LWBS. They are awesome but got to be a hassle on entry/exit. So, I bought a fellow Rennlister's GT4 18-way seats in black (same charcoal contrast stitching) and had a local upholstery shop that does high end work change the scripting on the seat head rest from GT4 to GT3. Hard to tell the difference and now I have a set of comfy seats and a set of track ready seats. One more thing -- the seat harnesses under your LWBS seats are identical to what comes with the 18 way seat (Sofa) cars. Your dealer can plug everything in (power, airbag sensors, etc) except for seat heating. There is no seat heating button on the GT3 if ordered with LWBS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .2 noise GT3