Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramics Now At CMS

 
Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM
  #31  
FourT6and2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FourT6and2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,600
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by malmasri View Post
I have Had the ST rotors for over 2 years now, they were supplied by Autoquest in Ft Myers ,one set has already been resent to the UK to get refurbished , beware of the down time " 4-6 weeks".
They are by far the best breaks on the market for track use.
Nothing comes close, not even the PCCB......the last bite is the same as the first one...absolutely no fade, and they do shorten the stopping distance
You would think that by adding another US dealer , prices would come down though
4-6 weeks. Hmmm. Do most shops charge storage fees to have your car sitting on a lift for more than a month?
FourT6and2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 PM
  #32  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,131
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
4-6 weeks. Hmmm. Do most shops charge storage fees to have your car sitting on a lift for more than a month?
Do it at home and throw on a set of iron rotors in the meantime (need the big sized ones made by Girodisc and couple others).
GrantG is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 12:54 PM
  #33  
Nine1won
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Nine1won's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 896
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ST Rotors



I love my ST Rotors!
Nine1won is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:33 PM
  #34  
Atgani
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Atgani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 640
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
Unless you are at a Cars and Coffee do you notice.
Yeh true, but if you're more into C & C than heavy trackday use,. you won't be needing a set of these rotors/hats anyway ...
Atgani is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:35 PM
  #35  
Atgani
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Atgani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 640
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid View Post
Agree. Changing the color also may screw up heat dissipation.
I think you may be over thinking this ...
Atgani is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM
  #36  
Atgani
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Atgani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 640
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by bli8 View Post
BTW what's involved in "refurbishing" a set of 4 rotors at $2400?
If they get damaged or the faces display excessive wear, they can be refaced, but the material they are made from is incredibly hard, so machining them isn't a quick/easy process.
Atgani is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:52 PM
  #37  
FourT6and2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
FourT6and2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,600
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GrantG View Post
Do it at home and throw on a set of iron rotors in the meantime (need the big sized ones made by Girodisc and couple others).
That won't work for people who live in big cities without their own house/garage and tools. Also if you're just gonna buy a THIRD set of rotors to use as spares in the meantime, why not just stick with irons and be done with it.
FourT6and2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:19 PM
  #38  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,131
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
That won't work for people who live in big cities without their own house/garage and tools. Also if you're just gonna buy a THIRD set of rotors to use as spares in the meantime, why not just stick with irons and be done with it.
gotcha
GrantG is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM
  #39  
bli8
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bli8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 292
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mwar99 View Post
Unless you want to leave the car in the shop while getting the rotors refinished I would recommend keeping the iron brakes. That way you can reinstall and still use the car. Otherwise you're not going to be able to use the car while waiting.
I do the brake work myself and am OK if car is down for a month or so, but how often do these rotors need refurbishing?
bli8 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM
  #40  
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
GrantG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,131
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bli8 View Post
I do the brake work myself and am OK if car is down for a month or so, but how often do these rotors need refurbishing?
Rarely, unless you do LOTS of track work at a high level.
GrantG is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM
  #41  
Agent_Orange
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Agent_Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 406
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid View Post
Agree. Changing the color also may screw up heat dissipation.

Originally Posted by Atgani View Post
I think you may be over thinking this ...
Agent_Orange is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:45 PM
  #42  
Wind911
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Wind911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 210
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by malmasri View Post
I have Had the ST rotors for over 2 years now, they were supplied by Autoquest in Ft Myers ,one set has already been resent to the UK to get refurbished , beware of the down time " 4-6 weeks".
They are by far the best breaks on the market for track use.
Nothing comes close, not even the PCCB......the last bite is the same as the first one...absolutely no fade, and they do shorten the stopping distance
You would think that by adding another US dealer , prices would come down though
How do you determine that it's time for resurfacing? Or how much life has left until resurfacing?
Wind911 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM
  #43  
thebishman
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 349
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
That won't work for people who live in big cities without their own house/garage and tools. Also if you're just gonna buy a THIRD set of rotors to use as spares in the meantime, why not just stick with irons and be done with it.
Why would you need a third set of rotors?

You buy the car and it comes with either PCCBs or iron brakes. You remove those OEM rotors and replace them with the ST rotors; storing the OEM rings. When; (IF?) it’s time to re-surface the ST’s, you take them off to send back to the UK and have the OEM rings placed back on the car during the turn around time.

Am I missing something?
thebishman is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mwar99 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM
  #44  
drdonger
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
drdonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skxf430 View Post
Unless you are at a Cars and Coffee do you notice.
My annoying friends may point out the gold hats.
drdonger is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 03:56 PM
  #45  
malmasri
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
malmasri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: N.W Ohio
Posts: 1,864
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Wind911 View Post
How do you determine that it's time for resurfacing? Or how much life has left until resurfacing?
you can see the surface starts to loose its mirror face....they anticipated two seasons of average use, but that was not the case for me...so expect between 16-20 months of life before resurfacing and less life after each resurfacing .
malmasri is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: