Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Are you happy with your replacement battery in your GT3?

Old 07-05-2019, 10:11 PM
iphilips
User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just placed my order.

Is there anything I need to know on the install to avoid a code being thrown? I don't want to go see the dealer.

Disconnect the negative terminal first, then positive. Put in new battery, connect positive and then negative, reset windows ... Is that it?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 PM
9914s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iphilips View Post
Just placed my order.

Is there anything I need to know on the install to avoid a code being thrown? I don't want to go see the dealer.

Disconnect the negative terminal first, then positive. Put in new battery, connect positive and then negative, reset windows ... Is that it?
Bump, also placed my order have the same question.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just placed my order.

Originally Posted by 9914s View Post
Bump, also placed my order have the same question.
That should be it guys! Just pop it in and away you go!
Old 07-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just placed my order.

Chad answered above that it is ready to go... and that is CORRECT...But I wanted to expand on that.....

The reason being is that when you do change a battery in a Porsche at times you will get a flag.... this is because you have DISCONNECTED the battery to put in your NEW Battery. So in effect the Car "thinks" that the voltage went LOW , then on the next start-up after the battery change you might get a flag. I have changed the battery about 80 times in the RS... but rarely get the flags... Its about 90% of the time there is no flag, and when it does come it will show a power steering warning, or rear wheel steering warning. This is NORMAL, and happens with Lead/Acid Batteries also. It is NOT a Lithium Battery issues, its the car sensing a low-voltage condition from the battery change-out. But from my experience there is not really a rhyme or reason to when I get the flag, because I have changed many low-voltage batteries and got no flag on the change-out. My theory is when I leave the A/C on when I re-start the car that I get the flag....

So the fix is...IF you do get the steering flag...

1-Just starting the car and running it for a minute or two, or let it warm up... then turn-off the ignition, remove the key and walk away for a few minutes so the car re-sets, then start the car again and the flags should be gone. The Car just needed to see that there was a battery supplying voltage again. We call this cycling the key... meaning you're just starting the car allowing it to run a minute so it see it has correct voltage, then when you turn it off and take out the key the next attempt is completely new and the car knows it has rgood voltage so all flags should go away.

2- The other option is just drive the car a little and then sometimes it just goes away after it understands there is now regular voltage again. This is sort of the same as above but sometimes they just go away while driving, but if not just pull in a parking lot turn off car, pull out key and then put key in and start again... flags should be gone.

So the bottom line is sometimes you might get that initial flag about steering... don't worry that is a low-voltage flag triggered since the steering runs of electricity so it wants to see the stable voltage again. Just cycle the key and it will go away.... but most of you won't even see that as I have learned.

Last edited by Antigravity; 07-09-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM
9914s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent
Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 AM
iphilips
User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Battery arrived today and is installed in my 991.2 GT3. No CEL. Super easy install.

More detailed list of instructions. Didn't bother with pictures.
  1. Turn off car, remove key, pop the hood and remove cover.
  2. Open air pump compartment, remove lid and pump.
  3. Unscrew the three screws holding in the black plastic compartment. Then lift up the plastic and remove the entire compartment. It's held in with some metal clips on the battery tray but it just slides up and off.
  4. Unbolt the battery strap, it's a black strip of metal held in place with two bolts. The first was behind the pump compartment you just removed. The other is against the firewall. You will need a deep socket to get these off. I didn't have one so spent most of my time getting the firewall nut off.
  5. Remove the battery clamp on the driver's side of the battery. One bolt is all that needs to be removed.
  6. Unbolt and remove the negative/black terminal. Then do the same for the positive/red terminal. I stuck the plastic caps on each as I was working to avoid any accidental arcs.
  7. Remove the old battery. Use two hands it's heavy AF. Install the new battery, use one hand it's light AF.
  8. Seat it towards the passenger side of the car, align and bolt in the clamp. Place the strap back on it. Bolt down. Install pump compartment, screw back in, put the pump back in and close the lid.
  9. Attach the red terminal and bolt down. Attach the black terminal and bolt down. Car should power up.
  10. Turn on the ignition and car should fire up with no CEL
  11. Put cover back on, close hood, go drive.
  12. Reset your auto windows. All the way down, then all up and hold for 10s, all the way down again and hold for 10s.
  13. Keep driving

Last edited by iphilips; 07-11-2019 at 01:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for that summary!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: