Sponsored by:

Contemplating a ‘16 RS or AMG GTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:37 AM
nrgy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Contemplating a ‘16 RS or AMG GTR

I’m 90% sure I’ll be picking one or the other within the next month after brainstorming for years a replacement DD after concluding I don’t need 4 doors or 4 seats, and truth be told I find myself leaning towards the AMG GTR, yet the RS is the first 911 since the 993 Turbo S to really generate excitement for me. I’m looking for a car to daily about 3-5k miles/year and my gut tells me the GTR will be all around better for this. I’ll either be keeping the car for 2-3 years or it will end up a long term keeper. I think the RS has more potential to be the latter.

I’m seeking confirmation from those who have driven, owned both, or simply have an opinion, am I correct with my gut telling me to go GTR?

Just basing my opinions on reviews and a short test drive in a GTS, I score them relative to each other:

AMG GTR / GT3 RS

Fun factor: Tie
Highway blasting: GTR
Track duties: 3RS
Daily comfort: GTR
Sound: Tie
Practicality: GTR
Cool factor: 3RS
Rairty: GTR
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

991.1 RS or 991.2 RS? Which are you considering?

This can help

Are you sure the GTR is comfortable? I remember a friend saying the GTS was very stiff.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Red face

An RS is an RS

GTR? What GTR, Nissan, Nismo? Mercedes is ambitious with an identity crisis and simply took on one of the most important icons in automotive history but isn't earth shattering.

- Too aggressive continual facelift, changes. Mercedes don't age well and their refresh cycle is way too frequent with subtle changes non-stop.
- This is not the final iteration, welcome AMG GTR Pro today, make way for AMG GTR Black Series tomorrow.
- Rare is subjective, the AMG GT series itself did not became the de-facto standard. I find it hard pressed to find GTs let alone GTRs.
- Mercedes goal was to take on the 911, we all can agree it is not comparable (long nose heavy engine FR turbo vs proven RR).
- Overpriced, what is Mercedes selling? The ultimate grand tourer? Nope. The king of green hell, far from it. It's a mish mash of in-betweens.

I love Mercedes-AMG, but I hate their million reiterations of 63s. Works in some things - the Cs and Es, everything else is just silly.

And I thought the whole 911 range was bad.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:19 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

I have a '16 RS, drove my buddies AMG GTR a few weeks ago when he came down.....tough choice....AMG was surprisingly awesome....I would pick the AMG only for the fact I have an RS.....I also feel the interior was much nicer than the RS for daily duties....For weekend fun/ track I would rather have the RS.....if you added daily to that I would take the GTR....honestly can't go wrong with either
Old 06-17-2019, 10:41 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

I have both. AMG GTR is better as a daily driver. Torque is much more usable under 4500 rpm and the car is more comfortable. My opinion.

My GTR is also now tuned. It is much more fun than my RS, GT3. GT2RS is on same level because of power delivery.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a car with a very, very long hood, and it’s tiring sometimes. So best thing would be to go test drive one and pay attention to that. On the other hand because you’re planning to drive it daily the RS will be less stealth with the huge wing for sure.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:50 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
I have a car with a very, very long hood, and it’s tiring sometimes. So best thing would be to go test drive one and pay attention to that. On the other hand because you’re planning to drive it daily the RS will be less stealth with the huge wing for sure.
Yes the hood is Looooooonnnnnnngggggg.....If I owned that car I would be backing in to each and every parking spot.....
Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 PM
nrgy
Track Day

Appreciate the input. Yes it is a tough choice because I can find good arguments for both cars and I don’t think I would regret either decision. Just a matter of drawing straws perhaps!

I actually did find the AMG GTS a bit bland in the looks department and never considered that as an option, but the GTR in Green Hell has enough aggression to it and completely changes my perspective of the car. Yes I still find it a bit long in the tooth but it’s a unique character to the car that adds entertainment value.

In terms of rarity, I guess given the short time it’s been on the market that holds true, but yeah given the Pro and Black Series soon coming out the R is just another letter in the alphabet. Waiting for them to come out with a Black Series Pro next pfft.

Comfort, hmm I really haven’t had many comfortable cars as I tend to place performance over my own butt and back lol, but I though the GTS rode nice? Again I didn’t have much time in it but I could be mistaken. But this is fairly low on the list of concerns anyhow.

I do think about how well each car will age. I would think with the subtle changes Porsche makes with each iteration of the 911 that they would age slower, but it seems to have the opposite effect for me. Since the 996 I’ve always likes the next gen more. I have no idea how I’ll feel about the GTR in 10 years but having recently been to the Mercedes museum, the 300 SL still looks like a beauty and I’m not much for vintage cars.

I will say I never thought I’d be considering either car a year ago at $200k+ asking prices so I’m grateful/ecstatic I have the option now.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by nrgy
I’m 90% sure I’ll be picking one or the other within the next month after brainstorming for years a replacement DD after concluding I don’t need 4 doors or 4 seats, and truth be told I find myself leaning towards the AMG GTR, yet the RS is the first 911 since the 993 Turbo S to really generate excitement for me. I’m looking for a car to daily about 3-5k miles/year and my gut tells me the GTR will be all around better for this. I’ll either be keeping the car for 2-3 years or it will end up a long term keeper. I think the RS has more potential to be the latter.

I’m seeking confirmation from those who have driven, owned both, or simply have an opinion, am I correct with my gut telling me to go GTR?

Just basing my opinions on reviews and a short test drive in a GTS, I score them relative to each other:

AMG GTR / GT3 RS

Fun factor: Tie
Highway blasting: GTR
Track duties: 3RS
Daily comfort: GTR
Sound: Tie
Practicality: GTR
Cool factor: 3RS
Rairty: GTR
Wow, you give the sound a tie? I think the RS sounds much better; it revs much higher and the sound varies much more through the range. But it's subjective so to each their own! Both tremendous cars, the GTR depreciates like any Merc, so keep an eye out on that.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 PM
nrgy
Track Day

Yeah it’s hard for me to give clear winner here. I generally like the sound of a high revving engine over a muscle car, but it’s the exotic V12s that really tickle my fancy. I haven’t been behind the wheel of a GT3 let alone winding one out, but I can appreciate both.

AMG depreciation does worry me though I generally try not to think about it. I’ve only decided to look at the GTR since they can be had with very low miles in the $150k range, soon breaking that barrier. They seem to be dropping fast. I imagine a 20k mile GTR 2-3 years from now might be worth $100k whereas a GT3 RS with similar miles would fare better. I plan to put some miles on the car and I know I’ll pay for it.

Originally Posted by maroli
Wow, you give the sound a tie? I think the RS sounds much better; it revs much higher and the sound varies much more through the range. But it's subjective so to each their own! Both tremendous cars, the GTR depreciates like any Merc, so keep an eye out on that.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:42 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

IMO the sound is not a tie.....no comparison....the RS sounds much better
Old 06-17-2019, 03:43 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Having owned both, unless the car is going to spend over 50% of its life on track, I would take the GTR every time, including over the .2 3RS.

Btw the direct competitor to the GTR is the GT3, the GTR Pro would be more equivalent to the 3RS.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Agreed, comes down to track or no track.
We drove the AMG GTR On the GP track at the Nurburgring and I thought it was disappointing overall.
Harder to stop and harder to get out of the corner.
Nannies took a lot of fun away.
At least one went into limp mode.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 PM
R35driver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 121 Posts

Would rather just have a cheap daily and take the RS around every once in a while, over having an AMG GTR

I also heard rumblings of an AMG Black Series coming out? that might be the one to wait for
Old 06-17-2019, 04:18 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by R35driver
I also heard rumblings of an AMG Black Series coming out? that might be the one to wait for
BS is coming, it'll be a 2RS competitor with an msrp to match.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a ‘16 RS or AMG GTR