Sponsored by:

Contemplating a ‘16 RS or AMG GTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:10 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Agreed, comes down to track or no track.
We drove the AMG GTR On the GP track at the Nurburgring and I thought it was disappointing overall.
Harder to stop and harder to get out of the corner.
Nannies took a lot of fun away.
At least one went into limp mode.
Peter and I were on track in RSs and then driving the GTC and GTR. I was underwhelmed for track and don't see the appeal for the street either. Can't stand the long snout, visibility not great and feels very cramped inside and large (ish) outside. Fast in a straight line and better ride but neither are important to me. Not even close IMO, even for street. It's a German Viper without the track chops.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
It's a German Viper without the track chops.
100%
Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

Attempting to read between the lines a little here... If you get the AMG you will probably wish you had the RS. If you get the RS you will forget about the AMG and simply enjoy it for what it is.

I spent 6 months searching for cars, including the AMG and anything from 175-225K. I eventually narrowed it down to the RS. It is an incredible machine in so many ways.

Good luck in your search!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:34 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Yes the hood is Looooooonnnnnnngggggg.....If I owned that car I would be backing in to each and every parking spot.....
Drove but not owned one and this was my #1 take away as well.

Originally Posted by R35driver
Would rather just have a cheap daily and take the RS around every once in a while, over having an AMG GTR.......
Originally Posted by NCheok
........GTR? What GTR, Nissan, Nismo? Mercedes is ambitious with an identity crisis and simply took on one of the most important icons in automotive history but isn't earth shattering.......
For a fun less expensive DD, why not consider the Nissan GTR? It may be a bit of an out of the box choice for here, but I think it superior for real world DD than the other two choices.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m in the same boat- deciding between amg gtr, 991.1 gt3 RS and 992 gt3 in the next year or so. Love my 991.1 gt3, but went on a long test drive in a gtr - thoroughly impressed! Looks great, beautiful cabin, lots of low end torque, great dct, and sounds insane (better than gt3 IMO). Leaning towards gtr now, especially at Sub $170k price point for 2018
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Kind of an relative question but how old are you? Serious question.

I know many men who just couldn't ever drive their Porsche GT cars as a daily. Completely different sounds.

I'm a Merc guy myself. I drove for Mercedes back in the 90's. The day to day ergonomics in the Merc is much more comfortable but depending on how big or small you are it can actually feel cramped inside the cockpit of the Merc. Like others have said, the quality of the interior materials are superior in every way.

There are some who cannot be without that low end torque for a daily driver just grunting along from light to light. If you have been a P car guy in the past you know what to expect.

Looks are totally subjective. I for one like the look of the GTR but it is getting a little long in the tooth looks wise. A little dated. It took a couple of years for me to accept the Dodge truck front end that has become all of Mercedes signature look now. Mainly because I was driving a first gen CLS and just felt it looked so much more elegant than the refresh. Maybe I still do feel that way.

In Los Angeles we actually see more 991 Porsches than Mercedes GT's. I still love how it looks. If you're not over 200lbs and over 6'2 it will be comfortable inside.

I wouldn't trade my GT3 w/center muffler delete for the exhaust note of any AMG Merc and like I said, I'm a Mercedes guy.

You may trade in your Merc for something else before you'd trade in your GT3 RS for something else.

As for daily driving, I'm in my 40's and daily drive my 991 GT3 and that's in Los Angeles.

Good luck.

At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong. You can always trade her in since you won't be putting many miles on it per year. P car will hold its value better.

Remember, this is a Porsche forum. You're gonna get the complete opposite opinion over on MB World or the Forums.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 AM
nrgy
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Attempting to read between the lines a little here... If you get the AMG you will probably wish you had the RS. If you get the RS you will forget about the AMG and simply enjoy it for what it is.

I spent 6 months searching for cars, including the AMG and anything from 175-225K. I eventually narrowed it down to the RS. It is an incredible machine in so many ways.

I think you’re pretty close with your assesment, I don’t think I’d regret having the GTR but there would still be that GT3 itch that hasn’t been scratched. Appreciate the kind words and the search is all part of the enjoyment...so far!

Originally Posted by mchrono
Drove but not owned one and this was my #1 take away as well.

For a fun less expensive DD, why not consider the Nissan GTR? It may be a bit of an out of the box choice for here, but I think it superior for real world DD than the other two choices.

I briefly considered the Nissan but it’s not a car that I get too excited about. I do enjoy seeing them on the road but not enough to want to own one.

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I’m in the same boat- deciding between amg gtr, 991.1 gt3 RS and 992 gt3 in the next year or so. Love my 991.1 gt3, but went on a long test drive in a gtr - thoroughly impressed! Looks great, beautiful cabin, lots of low end torque, great dct, and sounds insane (better than gt3 IMO). Leaning towards gtr now, especially at Sub $170k price point for 2018

The price on them now is what is attracting me to the GTR...but also the GT3 RS. Both such capable cars and two of the best performance values at the moment. It’s a good dilemma to have!

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Kind of an relative question but how old are you? Serious question.

I know many men who just couldn't ever drive their Porsche GT cars as a daily. Completely different sounds.

I'm a Merc guy myself. I drove for Mercedes back in the 90's. The day to day ergonomics in the Merc is much more comfortable but depending on how big or small you are it can actually feel cramped inside the cockpit of the Merc. Like others have said, the quality of the interior materials are superior in every way.

I’m 37. Just to give a little more context, I have a s/c Lambo LP Superleggera and also a large pickup but I find that a pita to drive in the city. Also a C63 but that will be going. The LP I plan to keep for the foreseeable future as I enjoy the raw analog drive it gives. My goal was to find a car that gives a similar sensation but all around more refined, newer, and more usable day to day.

I actually find the GT cars and GTR too special to use as a true daily. I don’t like the idea of subjecting a car like this to such a mundane role, but given my short commute, and the fact when weather really turns to crap I can use the truck, I figure I can get by for the next two years.

My wishful thinking going forward is to buy cars that are more track oriented or “special edition” (I know that label is being slapped on everything these days), might turn into keepers and have a small collection I can distribute the miles with. Space is the current limiting factor.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, and to everyone else who replied.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your really looking at GT3RS mine is for sale, 250 miles on it. Just listed on CarGurus under 2019 GT3RS. Below MSRP. Great Deal Red with gold wheels Weissach 909 package. Maybe finding a good deal is answer to your question vs Mercedes.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 AM
charlesk777
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nrgy
I’m 37. Just to give a little more context, I have a s/c Lambo LP Superleggera and also a large pickup but I find that a pita to drive in the city. Also a C63 but that will be going. The LP I plan to keep for the foreseeable future as I enjoy the raw analog drive it gives. My goal was to find a car that gives a similar sensation but all around more refined, newer, and more usable day to day.
I'm the same age as you and a month ago purchased a .1 RS. I daily drive it in the Bay Area.

Like you, I was tossing between the RS and GTR and for a long while I was indecisive. At the end of the day, a few things put the RS ahead:
* If the GT3RS is a surgical scalpel around the track, the GTR is like a meat cleaver. Both get the job done but in very different ways. I wanted precision over the blunt force of V8 hp.
* The RS is something I've desired to own whereas the GTR - while still a phenomenal car - would just be 'another car' that I've owned in my lifetime. I'm essentially purchasing memories and I will have fonder ones with the RS.
* Frequency of updates and depreciation of the AMG. I'm using the GLC 63S as a proxy (I ordered one for my wife but ended up cancelling it after it sat on the docks for four months because of the emissions issue). The interior or exterior has been cosmetically upgraded every single year since its debut, so if the GTR is anything similar then I would personally be frustrated.

For me personally, I knew that I would have 'what if...' thoughts if I had gone with the GTR, so I went with my heart. No regrets at all with the RS. A fantastic piece of machinery.

Either way, you will end up with an awesome car no matter what you decide. Let us know what you decide!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Good points Charles.

You and I are a couple of madmen. You daily driving your RS in San Fran and me my 3 here in L. A.

I got real lucky and have a wife that isn't into cars and could care less what she drives. For a few years after we got hitched I wanted to be the hero husband and have his wife drive really nice stuff. A new CLS, an Escalade, even a new Volvo V70 R Wagon. You get the picture. After she crashed all but one of those and a few other cars I realized that I didn't need to do that and spend the car allowance (if you can call something that) on me. She could care less that she drives a new RAV4 as long as it has Nav and A/C. Like I said, I got lucky.

I also came 2 inches from picking up a new Nissan GTR. For $110k can you beat it???

Full confession, I do have an R34 also so that satisfies my JDM habit for now.

I'm sure the NRGY will find the right balance and get something. Most of all these cars we are talking about don't lose too much appreciation quickly. The AMG GT a bit more resistant to the drop like a rock value than say an S Class.

Drive in good health boys!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by charlesk777
* Frequency of updates and depreciation of the AMG. I'm using the GLC 63S as a proxy (I ordered one for my wife but ended up cancelling it after it sat on the docks for four months because of the emissions issue). The interior or exterior has been cosmetically upgraded every single year since its debut, so if the GTR is anything similar then I would personally be frustrated.
I purposely didn't want to say more on my 1st point of continual refresh, subtle facelift until someone else said something.

When it came time to sell and appropriately price my AMG, I looked through all the "same MY, non-facelift" models and found minor variances every CY, change trim colors, add an emblem here or there, keyless entry, auto lock, engine stop start ignition etc. This is how they justify to "new" buyers why they are paying the same price or more because of these continual "improvements" between facelifts. Utter BS.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CubsFan1

Not really tho. The only time one would think about the gt3 rs on a gtr is when doing regular trackdays and the options for improvements (brakes, camber, etc). Gtr is tremendous. So much fun, so exploitable, pretty, comfortable, exciting.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

My perspective is based primarily on interpreting the OP's comments and what he prefers. I understand the GTR is a tremendous car; however, if the OP has a deep seated desire to own and experience a RS, he will always find himself thinking about it. I went through the very same exercise. I never felt the AMG was secondary just different. There are dealership groups near me where I can see these cars sitting 100 feet apart. I believe these cars are different enough where it really should not be that hard to decide. Since they are both so capable performance wise, which would he want when they are parked next to each other. Which do you want parked in the garage. I thought the AMG would be fun to drive but knew the RS is what I wanted to own.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

Go with RS
Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's quite funny that you say that AMG GTR is comfortable. No it's not. It's not Grand Touring. In fact ride is more stiff than in a direct competitior GT3.2. AMG GT/S are more stiff than regular 911s 991. When Mercedes choose more sport way then Porsche makes 911 more GT cars. Each generation is more comfortable and tending to GT class. 992 is good prove for that.

Last edited by MegaLoL; 12-01-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a ‘16 RS or AMG GTR