Sponsored by:

Can I trust the reading on the TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 AM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your input.

I will use a pressure gauge to set the pressures. Then I will check if those same numbers are also shown in the TPMS. So, if the values corresponds and the TPMS is linear then I could just set my cold pressure, run a couple of laps to get the temp up. Check the TPMS readings on the track, before going back to the pits. Calculate the difference and just release the correct amount of air from each tire. In doing this I can get a more accurate reading since the tires will not have cooled as much as if I had to run into the pits, get out of the car... you know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

The TPMS seems to internally read in 0.1 bar increments and then gets converted to rounded psi, creating some quantization error. Unfortunate...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 993tt
So, going to the track for the first time and trying to wrap my head around all the procedures. The question I have now is, can I use the TPMS to accurately measure the tire pressure? I did some autocross and found it to show pretty much the same as my handheld pressure meter.
probably ok for daily and autocross but I would get a top quality oil filled low range for any track use. My TPMS measure around 1lb or so within accuracy of my gauge so I use t to monitor my tires for long 20+ sessions to see if I am over driving the car and the pressure are close to optimal range.

Quick Reply: Can I trust the reading on the TPMS?