Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   .1 to .2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1147049-1-to-2-a.html)

CarAholic 06-09-2019 06:40 PM

.1 to .2

I know this has been beaten to death and this is not meant as a value thread. However this is directed at owners of .2 GT3 who moved from the .1. I've been looking at both lately and have been wondering if the .2 is worth a 30k premium over a .1. Now this would be pdk to pdk and not a manual discussion. Just curious to hear owners opinion on this

tstafford 06-09-2019 06:46 PM

It's purely a money question. The .2 is equal to or better than the .1 in all regards. This isn't some Metzger vs. 991 engine or turbo vs. NA debate. It's the same thing only better. Only you know what $30K is worth to you. For me, it's worth it. But there's no way to tell someone else if it's worth it to them.

Bxstr 06-09-2019 06:46 PM

It would be to me, but only if I was keeping the car past the 10 year warranty. If not, go for the .1. If you are keeping it longer, then go for the .2 with the more reliable engine.

GrantG 06-09-2019 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by CarAholic (Post 15896710)
I know this has been beaten to death and this is not meant as a value thread. However this is directed at owners of .2 GT3 who moved from the .1. I've been looking at both lately and have been wondering if the .2 is worth a 30k premium over a .1. Now this would be pdk to pdk and not a manual discussion. Just curious to hear owners opinion on this

PDK, I’d save your money and use that long warranty.

Maverick787 06-09-2019 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 15896717)
It's purely a money question. The .2 is equal to or better than the .1 in all regards. This isn't some Metzger vs. 991 engine or turbo vs. NA debate. It's the same thing only better. Only you know what $30K is worth to you. For me, it's worth it. But there's no way to tell someone else if it's worth it to them.

Well said 2nd the motion.

CarAholic 06-09-2019 06:56 PM

Wish I could drive both but no dealers near me have both a .1 and a .2. I have driven the .1 at the Atlanta PCA and loved it but have not yet been able to drive a .2. Coming from an F430 and trying to get down to consolidate cars with this next purchase. Love the 430 but it's not a car to be used every day.

hashash 06-09-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by tstafford (Post 15896717)

+1

robmypro 06-09-2019 07:44 PM

The .1 comes with a requirement to drive the piss out of it. Because new $50k engines are on Porsche. So if you are planning on driving it....

Alan C. 06-09-2019 08:21 PM

Rob nailed it.:thumbsup:

Lapis 06-09-2019 08:36 PM

If PDK, I think I prefer the .1.... Heresy, I’m sure some will say. Perhaps not as much torque, yes. But.....

The .1 engine sounds better to me. Higher pitched scream, less tenor drone.

The .1 front end looks better to my eyes.

The .1 rear deck lid integrated mesh air intakes look better to my eyes than the black plastic scoops on .2.

I personally don’t like the newer infotainment screen/menus, though the Bose speakers certainly sound better than “Sound Package Plus”, which was the best audio on .1. (but who cares, right?)

I like the old steering wheel as much or better than the new one.

The .1 was plenty fast and handles devilishly well.

The $$$ savings is substantial, and the engine warranty, at least, will be at least as long as the .2 despite being up to 5 model years apart.

Long story short, if I were in the market for a PDK 991 GT3 (not RS), I would find myself a nicely equipped .1 in a color I like with CPO warranty and drive the snot out of it.

RDCR 06-09-2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lapis (Post 15896920)

The .1 front end looks better to my eyes.

The .1 rear deck lid integrated mesh air intakes look better to my eyes than the black plastic scoops on .2.

Even if I owned a .2 I would agree with your points above. I've disliked those rear intakes from the day they introduced the .2. I do prefer the .2 tail lights over the .1 but that is about it.

Lapis 06-09-2019 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by RDCR (Post 15897066)
Even if I owned a .2 I would agree with your points above. I've disliked those rear intakes from the day they introduced the .2. I do prefer the .2 tail lights over the .1 but that is about it.

Funny, was going to say same about tail lights, which I agree, are about the only exterior cosmetic change on the 991.2 that I prefer over the .1.

Long story short in response to the OP, this is why I think the only truly good reason to buy a .2 over a .1 GT3 (assuming not RS) is a manual transmission, and what’s more, the Touring Package, which is why I upgraded, and no other reason.

FLACHT6_pilot 06-09-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lapis (Post 15896920)

I agree with the above points, but do like the .2 front end better, and the .2 is certainly quicker.

Given real world $45k current difference in price it's an interesting debate between the .1 and .2, if you assume that both would now be pre-owned cars.

Maverick11 06-09-2019 11:31 PM

I think you get most of price delta back on resale so full cycle the .2 is not that much more. Main reason I have a .2 is for the MT. Agree with comments above on sound and some of the cosmetics. .1 has its merits and warranty is nice if you're going to have it a while. I’d still have a .2 though even in pdk. Just all around improved car and the engine is a masterpiece.

daveo4porsche 06-09-2019 11:45 PM

The .2 is hands down better than the .1

1. PDK appears to be better
2. I like having car play support
3. Back up camera is a life saver - this car’s reversing visibility is lacking
4. The nannies are super good - very subtle and impressive
5. Better power at all engine RPM’s - .1 had an awkward power band
6. Less understeer than the .1
7. Very tossable - as I’ve grown accustomed to my .2 over the past year it’s simply amazing what you can ask the .2 to do, and it will just handle it and come roaring out of any corner! I had some moments at button willow with PCA GGR a few weeks ago, I came away impressed - the car is simply amazing.

all in all I consider it a major upgrade - as to wether or not it’s worth the money - well it’s hard for me to say any car is worth the amount money any of these GT3’s cost new or used - but they are fabulous cars, and you really don’t realize how good the 911 GT3 is until you experience other cars for similar or more money - I recently got to drive an Audi R8 @ COTA and it had me wishing for my GT3 and permanently swore me off the R8 as being any good…

the GT3 is simply fantastic, the .1 is really really good, and the .2 is just better - hard to believe but it is!