Numeric Racing Short Throw Shifter for 991.2 Manual GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 01:14 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Did you also swap out cables?
+1 would like to know if the Numeric cable are necessary or recommended or just the shifter with the softer spring option. Looking for a bit tighter shift but want to avoid any balkiness.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been considering this upgrade as well, but would also like to do the cables and would prefer a professional do the install...

Does anyone have an installer / indie shop in the Bay Area they'd recommend for something like this?
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Plastic stock shifter removed from my .2GT3:

Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 AM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 72 Posts

Its the same shifter as in the GT4. You can see the 981 part code on it. Not a bad shifter, but way different than the Numeric Racing one.

Personally, I don't know think that the cables would add much to the experience. The shifter is so easy to install that you could just do it and see what you think before committing to the cables. The process is really so simple that anyone can do it. On Numeric Racing's guide video it takes him about 7 min to do the initial install.

The following users liked this post:
jake18 (05-11-2021)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that the Numeric is a far more thoroughly engineered and stoutly constructed unit than stock. However, I am still remembering my experience with a 996 shifter replacement from B&M. It also was made of metal rather than plastic and seemed so much better constructed than stock. But after installing, I couldn't wait to return to stock. If the shifters were visible in these cars, I'd be embarrassed by the crappy appearance of the stock units, but I'm worried that I just like the lighter/smoother feel of stock. I'll have to find someone local with a Numeric sometime to check it out (not brave enough to dive in without trying first this time)...
Old 06-10-2019, 01:06 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Should never have opened this thread... The Touring's shifter felt PERFECT to me already, now you guys are making me think again. Agree with Grant that short shifters, no matter how well engineered and beautiful, don't always give better shifting experience overall. Recent experience was on a Shelby GT350R last year, I put in the MGW short shifter which is like a work of art when compared the Ford's plastic unit, but with the centering spring too stiff and reverse lockout requiring too much effort to overcome, shorter throws between a few gears just wasn't worth the trade-off, I went back to stock after a month. But the easy self install and money back guarantee are what may convince me to give this a try.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Would love to more opinions from people who have done the swap.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Question If the manufacturer is willing,

is there enough interest for a group buy ?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Jbravo23
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 710 Posts

^^^ I’d be down for that.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM
OKGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Would love to more opinions from people who have done the swap.
I have a Touring with about 7K miles and CBrett and I went for a drive last Sunday. We swapped cars and I started the drive with his (Numeric Shifter).... Immediately it was a huge difference. It was short, direct, and even more mechanical. At first I was a little shocked at the difference, but it only takes about a mile to get used to it. Once I got back in my car I knew I needed to order one. The best way I can describe the difference.... going from a stock GT3 manual to Numeric is a similar jump from a base 911 manual to a GT3 manual.

In short.... I'm in for the group buy!

Last edited by OKGT3; 06-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Numeric Racing

Here are some videos you guys can check out, Thank you for the comments and interest.

Stock Shifter and Cables in 2017 991 GTS

Numeric Racing Shifter and Cables in 2017 991 GTS

This is a youtube channel by Joe Hutchinson that did a really nice review of just installing a shifter. No cables. It’s about 20 minutes long but the expression on their faces is priceless. I installed the 2mm spring in this shifter but I also offer a 1.5mm which has less spring tension when moving it left to right. I prefer the 2mm spring personally. The 1.5mm will be equivalent to the spring that isin the Cayman GT4sport shifter. The only difference with the Porsche stock plastic shifter and the Porsche sport shifter that is stock in the GT4. All they did to change the throw was shorten the top of the lever by 20mm. Not much of a difference. Where I Changed the mechanics of the parts to really shorten the throw. I attached a PDF and a pic so you can see the difference in the stock plastic shifter levers.

Dan

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Can we get a group-buy going ?

Looks like there is plenty of interest.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

We don't do group buys anymore but have sales on holidays. Fathers day is coming up. If you were to purchase the 991 or 981 shifter & cables off the website right now. Or you can call it in. There is a $100.00 savings plus we ship for free in the US. Thank you for the interest and you guys won't be disappointed in our product. 100% money back guarantee if not satisfied and I have never had to take any back.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Here are some videos you guys can check out, Thank you for the comments and interest.

Stock Shifter and Cables in 2017 991 GTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICZWYZ7jBOk

Numeric Racing Shifter and Cables in 2017 991 GTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_b10OLuJ7Y

This is a youtube channel by Joe Hutchinson that did a really nice review of just installing a shifter. No cables. It’s about 20 minutes long but the expression on their faces is priceless. I installed the 2mm spring in this shifter but I also offer a 1.5mm which has less spring tension when moving it left to right. I prefer the 2mm spring personally. The 1.5mm will be equivalent to the spring that isin the Cayman GT4sport shifter. The only difference with the Porsche stock plastic shifter and the Porsche sport shifter that is stock in the GT4. All they did to change the throw was shorten the top of the lever by 20mm. Not much of a difference. Where I Changed the mechanics of the parts to really shorten the throw. I attached a PDF and a pic so you can see the difference in the stock plastic shifter levers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jC6KBQAjIE

Dan
Is the 2mm the standard spring or the stiffer spring? Some people that have installed it said the stiffer spring is too stiff and there is a lot of force trying to push the shifter back to neutral. The website says the 1.5mm spring is similar to the GT4 stock shifter.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Talking Father's Day Sale

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
We don't do group buys anymore but have sales on holidays. Fathers day is coming up. If you were to purchase the 991 or 981 shifter & cables off the website right now. Or you can call it in. There is a $100.00 savings plus we ship for free in the US. Thank you for the interest and you guys won't be disappointed in our product. 100% money back guarantee if not satisfied and I have never had to take any back.

I spoke to Dan. Group buy is not happening but there will be a Father's Day sale this weekend. Probably 10% off --so that's something for all of us that like a discount.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Throw Shifter for 991.2 Manual GT3