Masters “RS” Birmingham

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:38 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Masters “RS” Birmingham

Hi all
I am going to Porsche school next week July 12,13,14.
it is the RS masters course.
Anyone from here enrolled?

Anyone taken already? What to expect?

thanks in advance for replying
Old 06-08-2019, 07:00 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

PSDS or whatever it's called now is a first class operation. I've done a number of their programs. "Masters RS" is (or was the last time I was down there) the top level program and it results in qualification for an SCCA full comp license. Note: There are only a few racing schools that are able to issue a full comp license rather than the provisional one.

You will not be disappointed in anything about their programs. The cars are perfect, the instruction is excellent, Barber is a great track and esp. so for this purpose. I think it's one of the best ways to get instruction in someone else's car. If you get bitten by the bug and want to try another program give a look at Primal Racing outside of Atlanta. They're new to the game and run Radicals rather than Porsches but draw from the same pool of instructors.

I think the thing that the race schools offer that is valuable to most folks is the ability to do the program in their car not yours. If you have a track car/race car that you regularly use for HPDE or whatever at some point it just makes more sense financially to do private instruction. You get the same instructors - all the guys at PSDS do private coaching. The race schools give you a jump start and that's terrific but I'd recommend private after doing a couple of them. You'll save money and almost definitely get more out of it.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

I will be there for the 2-day performance course. plan to get my SCCA lic over the next year or so.
got bit by the track bug and now I'm terminal. doing another 4-6 track events by the end of the year.

what is the best way to get down to Birmingham? is it a good idea to rent a car at the airport?
what hotels you guys recommend?
Old 06-08-2019, 09:00 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Direct flights into Birmingham are scarce.. It's honestly not THAT far to drive from ATL vs having a layover in ATL and then a 30 min flight to Birmingham.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to get away without a rental by going with the hotel that they associate with. If using the PTX rate, there's a shuttle to/from the track, and I think a courtesy car to the Birmingham airport as well.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Flights into BHM are adequate and Barber is only about 15-20 minutes from the airport. Traveling through ATL and renting a car to drive to Birmingham/Barber also OK (but not nearly as convenient IMO) as Barber is on the east side of BHM, towards ATL.
If you want simple lodging near the track, and also near a Bass Pro Shop, there is a Hampton Inn just down the road (see Hampton Inn-Birmingham-Leeds).
The affiliate lodging is the Ross Bridge Resort and Spa which is about 30 minutes from the track. When we stay there, I see a fleet of Pcars so I suspect they will shuttle you to/from Barber, but I have never used that service so they may simply be there for display.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The hotel is working with Porsche
no need for rental car. They pick you up from airport and to/from track
Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

awesome, thanks for the advice fellas
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
Flights into BHM are adequate and Barber is only about 15-20 minutes from the airport. Traveling through ATL and renting a car to drive to Birmingham/Barber also OK (but not nearly as convenient IMO) as Barber is on the east side of BHM, towards ATL.
If you want simple lodging near the track, and also near a Bass Pro Shop, there is a Hampton Inn just down the road (see Hampton Inn-Birmingham-Leeds).
The affiliate lodging is the Ross Bridge Resort and Spa which is about 30 minutes from the track. When we stay there, I see a fleet of Pcars so I suspect they will shuttle you to/from Barber, but I have never used that service so they may simply be there for display.
The Hampton Inn is definitely convenient to the track, however when I went this year the affiliated hotel was the Grand Bohemian. MIght have changed, but the hotel info will likely be sent with any registration emails.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Grand Bohemian is now the affiliated hotel. It's in Mountain Brook which is a much, much better venue than Bessemer and it's a lot closer to the track as well. I'll be back for the second class in a couple of weeks myself. I lived in Bham for 6 years while I was doing my training. Birmingham itself has really taken on a very cool vide the past few years. There are a ton of really good restaurants and craft beer scene is great as well.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:44 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If staying in Mountain Brook and have some evening downtime the "Blue Monkey" is always a fun spot for a cocktail.

Quick Reply: Masters “RS” Birmingham