Sponsored by:

Trade rs 991.2 for gt3 in manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:27 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
‘Hard to tell looks like Oslo, and red was odd/same with seats. Maybe that’s the big drop under MSRP.
It’s Gemini Blue-had to look at the colors on my list, LOL.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:00 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have both. I would keep Manual GT3 in a heartbeat. Not even close.
Good to know, coming from someone who actually owns both at the same time.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Good to know, coming from someone who actually owns both at the same time.

What do you base this decision on? What are you using the cars for ? To me the RS is MUCH more exotic looking and is superior on the track by a noticeable margin. Around town the Gt3 is more civil and the manual is very engaging. Are these cars daily drivers or toys ? For me the RS is a toy that does occasional track days and cars and coffee, shows etc. I want it to be an experience every time and I like the feel of the car and looks better than my GT3. Somehow , the RS feels more special. Ultimately, it’s a personal choice and everyone’s needs and wants are different.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:09 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
What do you base this decision on? What are you using the cars for ? To me the RS is MUCH more exotic looking and is superior on the track by a noticeable margin. Around town the Gt3 is more civil and the manual is very engaging. Are these cars daily drivers or toys ? For me the RS is a toy that does occasional track days and cars and coffee, shows etc. I want it to be an experience every time and I like the feel of the car and looks better than my GT3. Somehow , the RS feels more special. Ultimately, it’s a personal choice and everyone’s needs and wants are different.
I was commenting on what Kyrocks said, since he owns both cars. Personally I wouldn't by an RS just because I find pdk boring after a few minutes. I use my cars for street and an occasional track day a few times a year. So street enjoyment is just as important as track enjoyment. If I were a track rat then I would probably just get a GT4 clubsport. For me, nothing can replace the engagement of a manual on the street. I would probably enjoy driving a new Miata on the street more than an RS. As far as feeling special, the RS looks and feels more special for sure. However, I don't get any pleasure from going to cars and coffee or shows. So spending 220k on a car for that is pointless to me. Ultimately, it comes down to personal choice, like you said. That's is why Porsche makes both cars.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I totally get why you'd do this! If that RS were manual I'm sure you'd keep it!
Old 06-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

If RS’s were manual. That be big trouble for me. Glad they are not! Lol
Old 06-09-2019, 12:00 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I track my cars and I street drive them too. The RS is definitely more “exotic” looking and “racey.” I like it, but I find myself grabbing the Manual GT3 keys more often. Equal drivers, the RS is a bit faster at the track, but I pass RSs all the time in my GT3. I’m not racing, I’m going fast around the track for fun. The RS feels bigger and is more planted than the GT3. The PDK makes the car easier to drive around town, but the suspension is a little firmer and less comfortable. The way the PDK bangs shifts off at the track is awesome. The PDK eventually becomes boring for me though. The GT3 is more fun because it feels more nimble and is manual. My GT3 is Lichtgrun and has a CMS exhaust and CMS roll bar so it feels pretty exotic to me. I occasionally enjoy cars and coffee but enjoy driving my cars a lot more. My GT3 even won a PCA peoples choice award. I have ALWAYS been an RS guy and I have always said an RS is an RS. In the past, no one buys an RS wishing they had bought a GT3 instead. After coming from a fabulous 997.2 GT3 RS, the 991 RS has been a little of a disappointment to me. Just haven’t bonded with those cars yet. I enjoy my GT3 and my RS. I drive them back to back sometimes when I have time to appreciate the comparisons. I just like my manual GT3 that I did euro delivery with much more. YMMV.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:37 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
What color is that? I like it. Edit- It’s Gemini Blue
Shame about the interior deviated stitch choice- why they didn’t use yellow is beyond me...
Probably because of the red stripes on the seats? Don't know but Gemini Blue is very nice.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I track my cars and I street drive them too.

In the past, no one buys an RS wishing they had bought a GT3 instead. After coming from a fabulous 997.2 GT3 RS, the 991 RS has been a little of a disappointment to me. Just haven’t bonded with those cars yet. I enjoy my GT3 and my RS. I drive them back to back sometimes when I have time to appreciate the comparisons. I just like my manual GT3 that I did euro delivery with much more. YMMV.
Your comments above echo my thoughts almost exactly, except I Euro delivered my 1.2-3RS. After a few mos I reversed my view. I decided if I wanted to scratch the manual itch, the 997rs's best the 991 so much it's not even close (track fun and esp street). If I want a modern dct track monster, nothing bests the 991.2 3rs (for me). But i liked the manual 3 so much at first I considered selling my 997's and even some other stuff. But after a few thousand miles and several track events, I've gotten bored with it and it falls into the category of a "compromise car" for me. I don't mean that as derogatory; i mean vs a car that has a more singular purpose. The manual-3 does most everything well but there are other cars that do something specific considerably better. In a multi-car stable, i don't reach for the manual-3 keys. If I could only own one car, it's at/near the top of my list. 991.2-3rs I've decided is the keeper out of the 991 lineup for me as long as I'm fortunate enough to own a few other manual toys included the 997. And just like you mentioned, ymmv.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:51 PM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RS all day long. Had manual .2 GT3 traded it in for .2 RS.. GT3 MT was nice but RS is something else.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:32 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

I’ve driven the .2 RS. Great car and does not disappoint. But I’d still choose a manual.2 GT3. And the new manual with rev matching and no lift shifting really closed the gap in shifting times vs pdk. But manual is sooo much more fun and enjoyable...

And I’m so glad Porsche went back to giving both the same engine and displacement, just like it always was before. They tried to be cheap with the 991.1 GT3 and it was a disaster. Glad they learned their lesson.

Quick Reply: Trade rs 991.2 for gt3 in manual