Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Road Trip in New GT3: PA->VA->TN->TOTD

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:40 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

TOTD is one of the roads you have to do, and as others have shared there are better roads in the area. Here are a few of my favorites along with great lodging in the NC mountains. If you would like more details, please PM me. Have driven several thousand miles in the Mountains with the SmokiesGT group over the years.

1. Hellbender - Route 28 from Fontana Dam Basin to Deal's Gap.
2. Rte 129 from Deal's Gap to Tapoco Lodge. I refer to this as the TOTD extension. A lot of fun. Stop at Tapoco for a drink and good pizza creekside. Good place to stay as well.
3 Cherohala Skyway. A charm.
4. Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful but can get crowded and patrolled often. However, nothing like the sound of launch control inside one of the tunnels.
5. Blue Ridge Parkway to Heintooga Ridge Road. Has a few epic overlooks and less traveled road.
6. Rte. 215 & Rte. 276 will not disappoint.
7. If your willing to travel to North GA don't miss Wolf Pen Gap Rd and Rte. 19.

There are others I can share that are not well known and will rock your socks. PM me if you'd like.

Check out these excellent lodges.
https://www.bluewatersmtnl.com/
https://snowbirdlodge.com/
https://tapoco.com
Old 06-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Advisor
I’ve had my share of VA law enforcement in my younger years so I will definitely be taking it easy for the most part. Thanks for the note on Tellico Plains, I will add it to the list. I let the wife know about this thread so she is monitoring it and will look up Nantahala. I didn’t think to stop in Asheville but I’m a sucker for good food & drinks. Thanks!

Point taken about VA cops. I wish we could move the entire state to the Midwest...lol. I told the wife about The Red Hen so we will likely stop there at least to try it out. I keep hearing about roads of North Georgia so depending on how long we plan to stay, I may venture a little further south to check it out. Cherohala Skyway is definitely on the list. Didn’t think to venture to Ohio although Hocking Hills sounds awesome.
You're getting a lot of feedback from people - more than you could possibly incorporate into a trip unless you're on the road for weeks.

One item that has come up in nearly every post is that the dragon - the presumptive centerpiece of your trip - is just ok, and that there are superior roads nearby, so be sure to hit as many listed.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Advisor
This is exactly the type of food info that I am looking for. I only mentioned Knoxville since that seems to be the closest big city near the mountains. I can only go by local reviews so if Archer's & Dead End is one of my best bets in Knoxville, I'm sold.
Thinking second wknd in July.
Don't forget Corky's BBQ if you end up near Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge...

That weekend is a zoo for me, but keep us posted on your plans and I will see what we can do. Would love to cross paths!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by the scofflaw
I've done the trip to the Tail of The Dragon a few times with motorcycles. I'd echo the point about it being very tight and suited for smaller vehicles. That being said you should absolutely do it. My favorite ride is called the Six Gap. It heads into Northern Georgia and it a great drive. Map is Here. Easily done in a day.
I looked up the Six gap & it looks awesome. Slightly further south than I had planned but this is all very fluid so I may end up that way. Thank you sir.

Originally Posted by Nizer
The one road you can't miss is Rt 39 out of Lexington, VA. Perfectly cambered roller coaster and one of the best roads I've ever driven. Loop back via 780/64 from Goshen or 42/64 from Millboro Springs. Or if you're looking for a great overnight keep on 39 all the way up the mountain to 220 then head south to The Homestead at Hot Springs, VA.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/ho...medium=organic

Another fun side trip is Route 60 from Buena Vista, VA up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. You can then take Blue Ridge south to 130 and drop back down to 81 via Natural Bridge or continue a bit further to 43 and down to Buchanan.

With the Blue Ridge on one side and the Appalachians on the other you can literally throw a dart anywhere around the Shenandoah Valley and find great roads. Enjoy.
Just looked at Route 39 and if I'm looking correctly it appears to be headed back north/northwest whereas I need to be headed south/southwest. I do like the part about Route 60 from Buena Vista to Blue Ridge & back down through Natural Bridge. That appears to be right up my alley. Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
After PEC in Feb we planned to do a similar route.
The Devil's Whip kept coming up in local posts about being a better road but less known than Tail Of The Dragon
http://www.thedevilnc80.com/
Just looked up a couple of YouTube videos of The Devils Whip. What was your take on it? You guys are really convincing me to ditch the trailer and make the whole trip about the GT3.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Honestly, I don't see all the fuss over the Dragon. It is an icon though - especially for motorcycles - so definitely run it if you're nearby. I've heard that the police there are more concerned with respecting the double-yellow lines than speed limits...

There are much better roads in the area though. Foothills Parkway is very fun and scenic - especially the newly-opened section.
Thanks for the note on Foothills Parkway. That is exactly the area that I will be crossing so it is now on my shortlist.

Originally Posted by C2Spin
TOTD is one of the roads you have to do, and as others have shared there are better roads in the area. Here are a few of my favorites along with great lodging in the NC mountains. If you would like more details, please PM me. Have driven several thousand miles in the Mountains with the SmokiesGT group over the years.

1. Hellbender - Route 28 from Fontana Dam Basin to Deal's Gap.
2. Rte 129 from Deal's Gap to Tapoco Lodge. I refer to this as the TOTD extension. A lot of fun. Stop at Tapoco for a drink and good pizza creekside. Good place to stay as well.
3 Cherohala Skyway. A charm.
4. Blue Ridge Parkway. Beautiful but can get crowded and patrolled often. However, nothing like the sound of launch control inside one of the tunnels.
5. Blue Ridge Parkway to Heintooga Ridge Road. Has a few epic overlooks and less traveled road.
6. Rte. 215 & Rte. 276 will not disappoint.
7. If your willing to travel to North GA don't miss Wolf Pen Gap Rd and Rte. 19.

There are others I can share that are not well known and will rock your socks. PM me if you'd like.

Check out these excellent lodges.
https://www.bluewatersmtnl.com/
https://snowbirdlodge.com/
https://tapoco.com
You my friend are a scholar & a gentleman. This is great info! I'm mapping it all out right now. I may have to extend my trip. Not sure where in KY you are but if you happen to be anywhere close, I wouldn't mind if you showed me any of those locations in person.

Originally Posted by Guest89
You're getting a lot of feedback from people - more than you could possibly incorporate into a trip unless you're on the road for weeks.

One item that has come up in nearly every post is that the dragon - the presumptive centerpiece of your trip - is just ok, and that there are superior roads nearby, so be sure to hit as many listed.
You are correct. We plan on being on the road for about a week & will hit up as much as we can. Building a list now & it is broken down into potential great wineries, great roads & nice accommodations (for the wife mainly, as I could sleep in the GT3).

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Don't forget Corky's BBQ if you end up near Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge...

That weekend is a zoo for me, but keep us posted on your plans and I will see what we can do. Would love to cross paths!
Corky's is added to the list my friend. Thanks. I will reach out the week of with final plans & see if you can break away. Cheers.

Last edited by Advisor; 06-07-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:17 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm in the Louisville area. Do you have an idea when you would be taking this trip? Depending on timing I may be able to meet up with you.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm the Shenandoah Valley, run a restoration and motorsport workshop for JMU students, so if you're traveling down I81 feel free to stop in to MAAP in Harrisonburg. Most of the Virginia "wife winery" fare is on the Rt29 corridor through the Charlottesville area, one of our favorites is Early Mountain and while not a winery the Bold Rock Cidery is a lovely visit too. Great scenic roads too.
If you need any other insider info re Va stops lmk
Cole
Old 06-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C2Spin
I'm in the Louisville area. Do you have an idea when you would be taking this trip? Depending on timing I may be able to meet up with you.
As of right now we are planning for second week in July, probably starting trip in the middle of the week. I will reach out as it gets closer to see if you can make it down. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:49 AM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cscrogham
I'm the Shenandoah Valley, run a restoration and motorsport workshop for JMU students, so if you're traveling down I81 feel free to stop in to MAAP in Harrisonburg. Most of the Virginia "wife winery" fare is on the Rt29 corridor through the Charlottesville area, one of our favorites is Early Mountain and while not a winery the Bold Rock Cidery is a lovely visit too. Great scenic roads too.
If you need any other insider info re Va stops lmk
Cole
Looks like you are pretty close to I81. I would love to stop in and say hello. Thats good to know about winery area in Charlottesville area. I will look up the ones you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 514 Posts

I would definitely drive the car. C2Spin is a fantastic source for information on the best roads.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Jump on the blue ridge in VA and run it to Cherokee. Get a map at the deals gap stop and hit the best roads around. As you can see, we grab a beer, plan our next few days. 28 rocks, 281 rocks, just about everything outside or around the tail of the dragon is amazing. The dragon is a "do it one time" kinda thing" but fun to do and fun to hang a little while and BS
Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Getting on and off the Parkway at select points is a great idea, but riding that whole thing at 45mph gets a little old if you have anyplace to be.
Originally Posted by Dougr743
Jump on the blue ridge in VA and run it to Cherokee. Get a map at the deals gap stop and hit the best roads around. As you can see, we grab a beer, plan our next few days. 28 rocks, 281 rocks, just about everything outside or around the tail of the dragon is amazing. The dragon is a "do it one time" kinda thing" but fun to do and fun to hang a little while and BS
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If you are doing it during the week, its dead, if the weekend is the plan, yes its slow going. Its just an easy way to drive great roads, no stop and go, no highway, and the best scenery you can find. hope you have a great trip
Old 07-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Advisor
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for everyone’s input & feedback with the upcoming road-trip. As it stands currently the itinerary for the trip looks to be as follows:

Day 1:
-Leave PA area Wednesday 7/10 sometime around 7-7:30 am. Head southwest towards the Shenandoah National Park. Should take about 4 hours or so depending on traffic. Not sure if we will pick up Skyline Drive above or below Route 33 around Swift Run Gap entrance. TBD. Open to suggestions.
-Once we drive through the SNP looks like there are a few wineries that we will chose from to have lunch & some crushed grapes. Right now I’m thinking Veritas Vineyards & Winery. Appears to have pretty good reviews.
-*Question: Should we get on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the northern entrance off of I-64 or should I hop over to I-81 to travel further south & pick it up a little later? Looks like it adds about 45 minutes to take the BRP all the way to the end just north of Roanoke. I don’t care as much about the extra 45 minutes. Just wondering if it is worth it from guys who have already done that route. Any thoughts?
-We will end the day at/around the West Wind Farm Vineyard & Winery for dinner.
-Total travel approximately 450 miles & 7-8 hours of seat time.

Day 2:
-We plan to start the next morning by driving to the Back of the Dragon (Route 16). Thanks for the suggestion Ric In RVA. We will continue down 81 towards Foothills Parkway, TN. Should arrive to that area around midday Thursday. Will probably try Corky’s Ribs & BBQ since we will be so close. After a short blast & exploration of Foothills parkway we will no doubt head towards our hotel.
-Although it will be midday, it will give us our first taste of TOTD as we travel down to our hotel. Wife would like to try River’s Edge Treehouse Resort as our choice of lodging for a couple of days.
-Total travel approximately 300 miles & 6 hours of seat time.

Day 3:
-We will no doubt wake up relatively early on Friday morning to begin exploring the mountains.
-Not too sure which direction to head but based on you guys feedback I’m thinking to take the Cherohala Skyway towards Tellico Plains.
-Totally open after this as everything else that I would like to do appears to be the opposite direction further south & east. May end up back in Knoxville area

Day 4:
-Haven't quite figured out the order for Saturday that makes the most sense. In some form or fashion I would like to do Heaven's Landing ->Fontana Dam via Moonshiner 28 & maybe end at Tapoco lodge for lunch.
-May venture back up to Knoxville to try Dead End Bbq and Archers BBQ for dinner. OR I may do everything clockwise and end up at Heavens Landing on the tail end. That will tempt us to make the 1.5 hr trek towards Atlanta to meet up with some family at Pappadeaux in Alpharetta.

So in case you haven't picked up on it yet, I decided not to trailer the car halfway. I rented a trailer to do a trial run & realized that it takes some creativity to get the GT3 to clear the front of the U-Haul trailer. Funny thing is, there was a guy in a Voodoo Blue GT3 at NJMP a couple weeks ago who rented the same trailer and showed me how to make it work. In any case the wife feels she will be ok in the LWB's so we should be fine. In preparation for the trip, I did decide on adding an exhaust to really make ole girl come alive. I decided to try the Graham Rahal Performance exhaust. I'm loving it so far. Although it gives much more volume I wasn't in love with the whole valved bit so I disconnected the valves to see if I can live with it. So far so good but the next week will be the real test. I'll be sure to post up some video as soon as I get around to it.

I will do my best to update the thread over the next week for any who might be interested in a similar road adventure. If anyone is local enough to meet up or cross paths for a brief run on one of these glorious mountain roads, feel free to reach out. I'm always game.
The following users liked this post:
Jim137a (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

81 is pretty boring and miserable. I’d get on the blue ridge early and if you tire of it, go to more major roads.

I am sure you have heard this, but Virginia takes speeding very seriously. It’s especially bad on the interstates.

Quick Reply: First Road Trip in New GT3: PA->VA->TN->TOTD