Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS fate or karma :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:27 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 RS fate or karma :)

A few weeks ago I was visiting my local dealer and came across a 991.2 GT3 RS in white with leather pack, steelies and white dials - I sat inside, and as with all Porsche sports cars, the seating position was excellent, the dials looked perfect and the wing in the rear felt just so. The car had been ordered, however the original buyer fell through.

Now, there is some back story - I did have a deposit down on this gen car, however due to the usual shenanigans with allocations and rarer than hens teeth pricing plus some real doubts in regard to Porsche standing by their products (e.g. series 1 engine, GT4 gear box etc) I decided to can the deposit and go elsewhere - and am very happy with the car that I purchased at that time.

Further colour, I am active in various forms of motorsport at different levels and want to retire one of my favourite Porsche sports cars before it becomes too "tired", put it out to pasture if you like. The thought being, I would swap out for the forthcoming GT4 which I have had a deposit down on for about two years.

And then I saw this new GT3 RS, in a spec that I would have chosen and with time to set it up that way I would like (note the interior will come out and be bagged).

So, my first world problem is do I jump in and pick up the RS or wait a little for the next GT4 which will likely be released in July (for delivery by the end of the year).

Now, keep in mind each platform has its strengths and weaknesses and everything is a trade off when it come to sports such as tarmac rallying (primary use).

The items that speak to me most are (1) strength of engine (2) genuine dry sump (3) rear suspension set up (4) adjustability (5) grip (6) gearing/PDK-S (7) RAS (8) overall reliability

Simple question, would I be mad to pass up on this apparently fateful opportunity?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
A few weeks ago I was visiting my local dealer and came across a 991.2 GT3 RS in white with leather pack, steelies and white dials - I sat inside, and as with all Porsche sports cars, the seating position was excellent, the dials looked perfect and the wing in the rear felt just so. The car had been ordered, however the original buyer fell through.

Now, there is some back story - I did have a deposit down on this gen car, however due to the usual shenanigans with allocations and rarer than hens teeth pricing plus some real doubts in regard to Porsche standing by their products (e.g. series 1 engine, GT4 gear box etc) I decided to can the deposit and go elsewhere - and am very happy with the car that I purchased at that time.

Further colour, I am active in various forms of motorsport at different levels and want to retire one of my favourite Porsche sports cars before it becomes too "tired", put it out to pasture if you like. The thought being, I would swap out for the forthcoming GT4 which I have had a deposit down on for about two years.

And then I saw this new GT3 RS, in a spec that I would have chosen and with time to set it up that way I would like (note the interior will come out and be bagged).

So, my first world problem is do I jump in and pick up the RS or wait a little for the next GT4 which will likely be released in July (for delivery by the end of the year).

Now, keep in mind each platform has its strengths and weaknesses and everything is a trade off when it come to sports such as tarmac rallying (primary use).

The items that speak to me most are (1) strength of engine (2) genuine dry sump (3) rear suspension set up (4) adjustability (5) grip (6) gearing/PDK-S (7) RAS (8) overall reliability

Simple question, would I be mad to pass up on this apparently fateful opportunity?
YES you would especially if you can get at MSRP
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Thats my feeling too - the timing is right, in fact almost perfect. Plus I couldn't help but notice several 981 GT4s on the floor at prices that one can only conclude are aimed at quick sales.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Last Gen of 991 RS

Buy it

The car is really good, I didn't appreciate it until I took it to road Atlanta

If street only, I'd lean towards 991.2 gt3 in Manual and skip gt4

I have both..
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

If you're going to scrap the interior, why not just buy a GT4 Clubsport. It will have the adjustability you seek and you won't have to gut it.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Drew_W
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a real GT3RS sitting in front of you versus a GT4 that may or may not get released sometime this year. I would bet on certainties and get the RS and never look back.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

What dealership is this car at?????
Old 06-05-2019, 02:14 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
What dealership is this car at?????
Yeah, tell us so we can swoop in and buy it out from under you
Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Please he said he was there a FEW WEEKS AGO think he had time to buy it.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:10 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

GT4 and GT3RS are completely different animals...I wouldn't debate a new GT4 vs a GT3RS...if you had the opp get the 3RS and be happy...
Old 06-05-2019, 07:10 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 413 Posts

Grab the RS
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
Please he said he was there a FEW WEEKS AGO think he had time to buy it.
LOL non US market - pricing that would make your eyes bleed plus very, very soft market at the moment.

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
C'mon on down but point taken

Originally Posted by ranger22
If you're going to scrap the interior, why not just buy a GT4 Clubsport. It will have the adjustability you seek and you won't have to gut it.
The interior will be bagged e.g. carefully removed and stored in sealed plastic bags (this is not new to me). The GT4 clubsport would have been great, however in the tarmac game, and to take part in competition, the car has to have been road registered and road compliant at the point of purchase. Rather ironic given that some of the AWD cars e.g. EVOs and GTRs can make between 500HP and 700HP and given the intent of that particular supp.reg. was to stop factory backed ringers
Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Well I did the deal - got a good price slightly under MSRP.

So - white 991.2 GT3 RS, with front axle lift, leather interior package, light weight privacy glass, chrono package with prep for trigger, Aurum wheels, LED in black PDLS plus, reversing camera, clubsport package, full bucket seats, dials in white, chrono in white, sill guard in carbon fibre - illuminated, front cage ordered. (Note this is a new off the floor car - but I do like the specification even tho some of it is going to be bagged for the time being). Steelies

So, very happy - and pick the car up in a week or so

So perhaps fate and karma came together

I'll post some photos when I pick the car up - really do like the white on black with Aurum wheels - particularly with the PDLS+ in black - very striking. Manages to look clean and mean at the same time.

The other positive note (for someone) is I have given up my place in the GT4 queue. .
Old 06-08-2019, 08:35 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
i think there are below-MSRP deals to be had now. so msrp should be pretty easy.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Well I did the deal - got a good price slightly under MSRP.
and there you go. nice job op and congrats on your new beast.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS fate or karma :)