Sponsored by:

Track days at Road America

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:59 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Track days at Road America

I'm looking for a DE group to run with at Road America. Something similar to Chin Track Days would be ideal. I'm based in the northeast so I don't have any experience with the DE groups in that area.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thx
Old 06-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

July 4-7 with Northwoods Shelby Club. Thursday is July 4 for advance groups only, but Friday to Sunday is regular DE. October 4-6 with the Badger Bimmers. I've run with both groups at Road America, good people, well organized. Register here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/

Road America is a series of long straights, followed by right angle turns, one kink, and a carousel or two. Pretty simple, really, but tons of fun and high speed. Heavy brake usage to haul you down at the end of the long straights to the right angle turns. Make sure to start off with a new set of pads, or you'll be changing pads on Saturday. Might as well start off with fresh tires, too, just in case. Have fun!!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Would also be interested, I'm planning to hit different east coast tracks this summer.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Would also be interested, I'm planning to hit different east coast tracks this summer.
From Florida, VIR would likely be the best for you. Ran with a group from Florida fall of last year with NNJR. I'm going again this year, November 1-3. See you there?

Mid-Ohio is my home track, highly technical and challenging to learn, but it is farther up north for you. Pittsburgh International Raceway is another of my tracks here in this region, also fun and technical. Lots of Porsche clubs sponsor DEs at these tracks.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:32 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

If you go to each tracks site, they all have calendars up. I attached RA below. As was already mentioned, motorsportsreg is good - put in RA's zip code and a small radius and all their events will come up.

https://www.roadamerica.com/events.html
Old 06-04-2019, 04:52 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm attending the Shelby event but I think it's pretty full, maybe even a wait list for Saturday. David Murray has something during the week in August, PCA does their Labor Day DE/Club racing thing, but DE time is quite limited. After that the Wisconsin BMW club runs the first weekend in October (Fri-Sun) and MVP is there two weekends later, however the weather gets iffy that late so I don't recommend attending.

Echoing Palting fresh pads and tires are highly recommended. Three heavy brake zones and a lot of right turns to wear the left side tires, so starting with new consumables will provide confidence.

Motorsportreg will give you the rundown but that's what I remember off the top of my head. If you pick an event send me a PM and I can help with info about the area and such.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks for the insight, the David Murray event in August may work well.

Krell - I'll reach out for some local knowledge when I get ready to sign up.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3

David Murry Track days in August would be the best bang for the buck for track time at Road America.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Drove up from Florida, to Road America and cool if you take a day in the middle around the Smokies.
Its the right time of year for WI.
Its not a drive with two and if you average 85MPH everywhere else.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
David Murry Track days in August would be the best bang for the buck for track time at Road America.
Here's a link -- $800 for two days is almost twice the price of other events there but being open track you can run as much as you can take. Plus this butts up against the PCA DE/Club racing Labor Day weekend so you could add a little more drive time if you wanted, and watch the club stuff.

http://www.davidmurry.com/event-regi...-/road-america

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Drove up from Florida, to Road America and cool if you take a day in the middle around the Smokies.
Its the right time of year for WI.
Its not a drive with two and if you average 85MPH everywhere else.
Are you coming north to drive Road America this year?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

^^ Not this year.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
From Florida, VIR would likely be the best for you. Ran with a group from Florida fall of last year with NNJR. I'm going again this year, November 1-3. See you there?

Mid-Ohio is my home track, highly technical and challenging to learn, but it is farther up north for you. Pittsburgh International Raceway is another of my tracks here in this region, also fun and technical. Lots of Porsche clubs sponsor DEs at these tracks.
I'm slowly re positioning my car from Florida to NYC so figured I could hit all of the best the east has to offer during that period.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I need to go back to Road America. Used to go lots until I moved down south. Will have to make a trip again.

Quick Reply: Track days at Road America