Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,035 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I The 718 GT4 and 570GT4 will be faster than any of these streetcars. And cheaper.
CJ care to elaborate on the 718 GT4 - reason, I am extremely close to finalising a deal on a .2 RS and have been on the books for a 982 718 GT4 for two years - if I go the RS I will not be getting the GT4 (due to space) and am presuming quite a few things e.g. RS more robust engine, suspension, gear box etc - am I mistaken (note RS to be used for tarmac rallying e.g. needs to have been road registered at point of sale as part of supp regs.), are Porsche throwing the works at the 718 GT4? (not clubsport).
Old 06-06-2019, 03:19 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
CJ care to elaborate on the 718 GT4 - reason, I am extremely close to finalising a deal on a .2 RS and have been on the books for a 982 718 GT4 for two years - if I go the RS I will not be getting the GT4 (due to space) and am presuming quite a few things e.g. RS more robust engine, suspension, gear box etc - am I mistaken (note RS to be used for tarmac rallying e.g. needs to have been road registered at point of sale as part of supp regs.), are Porsche throwing the works at the 718 GT4? (not clubsport).
Pretty sure he's talking Clubsport.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
I've seen your postings with Mac experience... I'll post this again. This is from NHTSA.Gov website when it talks about recalls/manufacture communications/customer complaints.

38 Manufacturer Communicationsfor 2018 PORSCHE 911 GT3

FILTER MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATIONS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS

All (38)AIR BAGS (3)BACK OVER PREVENTION (2)ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (5)ENGINE (2)ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING (4)EQUIPMENT (7)EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE (1)FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE (3)POWER TRAIN (1)SERVICE BRAKES (1)SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC (1)STRUCTURE (5)SUSPENSION (1)VISIBILITY (4)WHEELS (5)

February 25, 2019 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-J5W5T-03
Components: VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10155086

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-J5W5T-03

Summary

Rear View Mirror Falls Off the Windshield

3 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

Request Research (Services fees apply)

December 14, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-C7B2H-01
Components: EQUIPMENT, WHEELS
NHTSA ID Number: 10153562

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-C7B2H-01

Summary

Subject: Magnesium wheels

Information: The demand for the equipment option "Weissach package" was significantly higher than

originally calculated. This resulted in supply bottlenecks, for example, for the supplier of the

magnesium wheels contained in this package.

1 Affected Product
1 Associated Document

December 12, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-U4G4A-01
Components: EQUIPMENT
NHTSA ID Number: 10153564

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-U4G4A-01

Summary

Subject: Air conditioning

Symptom: Complaint about "knocking noises" from the underbody area.

3 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

November 20, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-E6U4B-12
Components: POWER TRAIN
NHTSA ID Number: 10153573

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-E6U4B-12

Summary

Subject: Shift lever

Information: The shift lever can move in longitudinal direction during load changes in 4th gear.

16 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

November 16, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-C9S9Q-12
Components: WHEELS, SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
NHTSA ID Number: 10153577

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-C9S9Q-12

Summary

Loose M6 Screws Securing PCCB Rotors to Wheel Hub

4 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

October 23, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-G6G3Q-11
Components: STRUCTURE
NHTSA ID Number: 10147454

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-G6G3Q-11

Summary

Subject: Moulding for side window

Concern: There is a possibility that the wrong lubricant was used for fitting the side windows.

If this is the case, there may be a chemical reaction and this will damage the coating on the moulding.

2 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

September 7, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-Q5H6W-10
NHTSA ID Number: 10145556

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-Q5H6W-10

Summary

Information: Due to amanufacturing error, there is a possibility that the front screws for securing the rear

axle struts to the body do not meet the required specifications.

As a result, the front fastening screws can break over the service life of the vehicle.

Remedial

Action:

Replace front fastening screws on rear axle struts

2 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

August 17, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-D4X2J-09
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10148788

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-D4X2J-09

Summary

Customer Concern

The customer receives a call from the Porsche call center as if the airbag has deployed and the vehicle made an e-call. No such airbag deployment or e-call occurred. This is a false alarm.

Technical Background

This issue results from a conflict between the airbag module and Vodafone telematics service. A future additional Porsche AG action may also correct the issue.

1 Affected Product
1 Associated Document

August 16, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-Y9K4F-09
Components: WHEELS
NHTSA ID Number: 10148784

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-Y9K4F-09

Summary

Symptom: During and after race track use, loud noises can sometimes come from the wheel assembly on the rear axle - particularly on bends.

Cause: Particles of dirt on the contact surfaces can cause micro-movements in the wheel assembly on the rear axle (rim/brake disc/wheel hub) and this can result in loud noises.

Remedial

Action:

In the event of a customer complaint, clean the wheel assembly on the rear axle as described under "Work Procedure".

8 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

August 16, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-D7K9V-09
Components: ENGINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10148783

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-D7K9V-09

Summary

Complaint - Incorrect Allocation of Fault Code (P0153/P0133) for Oxygen Sensor

(upstream of Catalytic Converter): Replacing both oxygen sensors (upstreamof catalytic

converter) (89/18)

8 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

July 20, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-W9X4Z-08
Components: SUSPENSION
NHTSA ID Number: 10143833

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-W9X4Z-08

Summary

Customer Concern

The customer states that the front axle lift function is not working.

Technical Background

The front strut leaks air. A tool with minor damage at the supplier was causing minor damages to struts during production.

5 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

July 20, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-B2S6Q-08
NHTSA ID Number: 10143834

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-B2S6Q-08

Summary

Technical Background

Bubbles are caused by contamination during the paint process.

Service Information

There is no paint repair solution. The carbon fiber components with the issue must be replaced.

1 Affected Product
1 Associated Document

July 5, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-M2N8X-08
Components: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
NHTSA ID Number: 10143830

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-M2N8X-08

Summary

Subject: Electric fuel pump

Information: There is a possibility that a fuel pressure control valve with a characteristic that does notmeet

the required specifications was installed in the fuel pump on the affected vehicles.

If this is the case, the valve will open too early and the fuel pressure will fall below the specified minimum

pressure. This can result in a reduced fuel supply and the Check Engine light may be activated.

1 Affected Product
1 Associated Document

June 6, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 122-J7H9T-07
Components: EQUIPMENT, EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE
NHTSA ID Number: 10143514

Manufacturer Communication Number: 122-J7H9T-07

Summary

Symptom: The plastic rear window can become damaged or part of it can become visibly detached from the body due to different temperatures and tension while driving.

This can cause wind noise.

Cause: The components of the rear window ? plastic (polycarbonate), screen print and primer ? are not chemically compatible.

4 Affected Products
1 Associated Document

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You get the idea?
No. I don’t.

First, your premise is totally misleading. This is not the first time you posted this type of info as if this brings Porsches down to the same level of unreliablity issues and complaints as Mac.

Second, These are service items. In and out burgers for the most part. Further many of these item are common to all models. PAG produces WAY more cars than Mac and there were only 38 items?

Third- these are not items and issues that have owners running from the brand with horror stories and banging the walls in frustration.

Fouth- very rare do you hear issues with Porsche service or responsiveness to customer issues.

Can you post post the same info for Mac? Let’s take a look.

Bottom line. Seems like it’s pot luck with Mac. You could pick a good one off the lot or...to many times for comfort (at least for what I’ve seen and read) you end up with a problem child. Mac resale is abysmal for a reason or reasons and no doubt reliability issues play a role. You can put as much mustard on that hotdog you want but there is still gonna be a hot dog under there.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
And yet the GT race cars don't seem to have an issue putting on far wider front tyres funnily enough....

as far as the article is concerned, it's a non contest given the 3rs was on Cup2R it was always going to be quicker. The Cup2R are just a lot quicker a tyre than a Trofeo albeit one that wears even faster than the Pirelli.

not saying Mclaren are perfect as the cars are in general more fragile and less suited to being hammered on track even if they were built properly which isn't always the case but the cars are very very quick and imo do drive very well.
Cup R and Trofeo R are pretty damn close in performance with edge to Cup R.

Mac also had a 100 hp advantage and weight advantage by 150lbs.

Looked like a fair fight to me.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I just beat on a 600LT at Laguna yesterday and did not incur any gremlins or issues. That being said- I did properly bed in the pads and rotors beforehand, and I drive with minimal driver aids.

Having owned every recent mclaren and every GT car, and having tracked all of each

( no really every one: Porsche: Boxster Spyder, Carrera GT, GT4, 997 GT3, 997.1 RS, 997.2 RS, 997GT2RS, 991.1, 991.2, 911R, 991 GT2RS AND the GT4 clubsport, Gt3 cup...all owned at one point and all tracked except 997 2RS)

(mcLaren 12c, 650, 675, p1, 600LT, 570 spider, 720, incoming senna, 570 GT4)

There are a lot of generalities floating around but as a McLaren insider, and a Porsche fanboy...the mclaren cars are like roulette- it is possible to get a car that is bad. Porsche has cars that get bought back as well, but my theory is that like the AMG 'one man one engine' thing...you either get a Good McLaren (no issues unless you hit something) or a BAD McLaren.

If new guy Felipe builds your car, it's not as good of a car as Thomas the 7 year assembler. We would have some cars come in PERFECT. And some would consistently have niggling issues. They are a fast growing, fast evolving brand. Porsche is incredibly established. They do build the most durable cars, and the most tested and tortured cars during development are from
stuttgart. Porsche makes 80,000 911's a year worldwide. McLaren makes ~4500 cars.

I have owned and tracked the 2019 3RS and 2019 600LT. Both are great. I have driven the 718 GT4 racer and the 570 Gt4 race car. Both are easy and approachable.

Looks are subjective, as is color choice.
The 600LT is prettier to me, the 3RS sounds better and has more grip. The 600LT is more playful and slides around more. The 3RS is easier to get serviced in more locales.

These are champagne issues and caviar arguments. The 718 GT4 and 570GT4 will be faster than any of these streetcars. And cheaper.
Thanks for that post CJ
Old 06-06-2019, 08:52 AM
360MVA
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
No. I don’t.

First, your premise is totally misleading. This is not the first time you posted this type of info as if this brings Porsches down to the same level of unreliablity issues and complaints as Mac.
Porsches are very reliable but considering how many they build and for how long you would hope there would be fewer issues. Fact is these are mechanical products and no matter how much testing there will be problems. How the problems are resolved are what's important and Porsche has generally stepped up.

Second, These are service items. In and out burgers for the most part. Further many of these item are common to all models. PAG produces WAY more cars than Mac and there were only 38 items?
Similar to the Mac issues, they are generally service items although I know of a few that had problems that were recurring. No different than any other brand I've owned.

Third- these are not items and issues that have owners running from the brand with horror stories and banging the walls in frustration.
Who is running from the brand? "Most" Mac owners are ordering newer models. Sure there might be an occasional defector but that is not the norm. I do love how people make this sh it up though.

Fouth- very rare do you hear issues with Porsche service or responsiveness to customer issues.
This is by dealer. I will say that McLaren corp needs to do a better job in certain areas. I hope they work it out as they grow. They are still a relatively new company building road cars. Having said this they do a lot of things very well.

Can you post post the same info for Mac? Let’s take a look.
Since people are running from the brand it should be easily enough for you to find a list of all the issues. You know how people love to complain on forums.

[Bottom line. Seems like it’s pot luck with Mac. You could pick a good one off the lot or...to many times for comfort (at least for what I’ve seen and read) you end up with a problem child. Mac resale is abysmal for a reason or reasons and no doubt reliability issues play a role. You can put as much mustard on that hotdog you want but there is still gonna be a hot dog under there.
What have you actually experienced yourself? I am assuming nothing. I am on my 2nd car with no issues whatsoever.

You speak about resale, Try buying a new 911, Cayenne or Pan - they drop like a rock. Worse than any car(s) I have ever owned. I lost 10% retailing my last 720 after 18 months, try that with a 911.

I love when people talk about what they "think" as opposed to actual experience. I have had about 20 Porsches over the years starting in 99' and they have all been wonderful ( I started young). I have had 2 McLarens within 24 months and so far so good, same for numerous friends of mine. I wouldn't drop 350K to $400k on a car if it was as you described.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:00 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cup R and Trofeo R are pretty damn close in performance with edge to Cup R.

Mac also had a 100 hp advantage and weight advantage by 150lbs.

Looked like a fair fight to me.
the gap between Cup 2 to Trofeos is much narrower than Cup 2 to Cup R's, so no, these are not "that" close.

By and large I think people miss a fundamental difference between these two cars, the RS was built for track times, max downforce, grip and track performance. The LT is built to maximise driving emotion and feel, whilst the car is very capable (hence why people tend to think of it as a time attack focused car), it is not intended to be a track tool posting time records all over the place. The mere fact that McLaren themselves never bother with timed runs to demonstrate superiority should attest to that.

The appropriate solution is to have both, as they serve different needs and purposes.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:07 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
I DO realize this is Rennlist... a Porsche biased forum... also realize y’all drink the Porsche koolaid... but compare your top track car to their sport series is comical. Put an RS on the track with a 675LT, or a 720S and see what you get? A liiiiiittle better test results I’ll bet.

I came from McLaren cars back to Porsche and I’m not impressed with this car compared to my Mclaren on any level. Straight line performance isn’t even in the same ballpark, and as far as “turning” corners, whatevs. To me, a car that can pin you back in the seat until you get scared and not puff out in power is equally as exciting as turning corners.. and McLaren is the car that delivers on that.

As as far as McLaren service sucking.., well... depends on where you take it. Their cars aren’t perfect, but even Porsche’s aren’t perfect either. I fancy the perfect unicorn car is the one in each of our minds that we fashioned “perfect” in our lil world. I owned a 650S that WAS a pos.., but I loooooved that car! I’ve owned multiple Porsche’s that aren’t perfect but I love them too. I’m a car guy, and I HAAAATE when people make their brand of choice the “IT” must have best car ever kind of car... truth is, if you pick a platform I’ll show you a way to beat said car.
What do you get? Similar times at spa (for example), that's what you get and this is if it's dry and on 18-25 celcius and the car doesn't throw a random error or spills something in the process..
And I'm talking gt3 rs vs 675lt. Not even the gt2 rs. Mclarens are a great concept, they just need to slow down and fix what there is to fix and then move to the next one.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 978 Posts

And now for the wet, with more tire hijinks....

Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 360MVA
I love when people talk about what they "think" as opposed to actual experience. I have had about 20 Porsches over the years starting in 99' and they have all been wonderful ( I started young). I have had 2 McLarens within 24 months and so far so good, same for numerous friends of mine. I wouldn't drop 350K to $400k on a car if it was as you described.
I'm also a long term multi-Porsche owner and currently have two Macs (675LT and a Senna). No serious issues with either and both are incredibly fast and engaging. I think the 675LT is an under-appreciated car and will stand the test of time. It feels faster than my 2RS and offers a much greater sense of occasion. It's a supercar bargain at today's prices.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
the gap between Cup 2 to Trofeos is much narrower than Cup 2 to Cup R's, so no, these are not "that" close.
Exactly this. Insisting a trofeo is close to the CupR in performance is nonsensical.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 PM
carrera911me
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
It's normal to express a negative, personal experience but the current crop of Mac Sport and Super series cars do not have inherent reliability issues. MacSF held a track day in May at Sonoma and again at Laguna Seca in June with 35+ Macs both days and no issues.
Well there you go. No issues with any of them on the track. I guess Crex honored his words. lol. I kid.. i kid.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:33 PM
carrera911me
Instructor

Originally Posted by catdog2
I would have expected that with a 570S but isn't the 600 lt supposed to be the track special version? With that engine and turbos should have smoked the rs.

Problem with mclaren is too many models and too many iterations and segmentations of the same basic engine. They tune it differently with software and come up with too many model variants too quickly. They also artificially hold back some of their lower range models with suboptimal tires sizing.

Gets boring after a while and kills resale value for their customers.
Wait what? Too many models and iterations? Isn't that what we have with the 991? 991, 991 4/4S, 991R, 991 RSR, 991s, GTS, Targa 4/4s, T, GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS, Turbo, TurboS, Turbo S Exclusive, Speedster... I'm sure i missed a few "special editions" variants.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 PM
carrera911me
Instructor

Originally Posted by zmangt3
Variety is the spice of life. I drove the 600 and decided it was time to get rid of the rs. I have had porsches for the last 15 years but I have to say the 600 is at another level at least for me. Can really feel it on the track. I have changed the exhaust and gone to a 325 in the rear which really made even more difference
What wheels did you go with? Since Mac is about weight savings, did the new wheels add weight for it to be noticeable?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:55 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 360MVA
Porsches are very reliable but considering how many they build and for how long you would hope there would be fewer issues. Fact is these are mechanical products and no matter how much testing there will be problems. How the problems are resolved are what's important and Porsche has generally stepped up.

Similar to the Mac issues, they are generally service items although I know of a few that had problems that were recurring. No different than any other brand I've owned.

Who is running from the brand? "Most" Mac owners are ordering newer models. Sure there might be an occasional defector but that is not the norm. I do love how people make this sh it up though.

This is by dealer. I will say that McLaren corp needs to do a better job in certain areas. I hope they work it out as they grow. They are still a relatively new company building road cars. Having said this they do a lot of things very well.

Since people are running from the brand it should be easily enough for you to find a list of all the issues. You know how people love to complain on forums.

What have you actually experienced yourself? I am assuming nothing. I am on my 2nd car with no issues whatsoever.

You speak about resale, Try buying a new 911, Cayenne or Pan - they drop like a rock. Worse than any car(s) I have ever owned. I lost 10% retailing my last 720 after 18 months, try that with a 911.

+1.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT