Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT

Old 06-05-2019, 01:53 AM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
I DO realize this is Rennlist... a Porsche biased forum... also realize y’all drink the Porsche koolaid... but compare your top track car to their sport series is comical. Put an RS on the track with a 675LT, or a 720S and see what you get? A liiiiiittle better test results I’ll bet.

I came from McLaren cars back to Porsche and I’m not impressed with this car compared to my Mclaren on any level. Straight line performance isn’t even in the same ballpark, and as far as “turning” corners, whatevs. To me, a car that can pin you back in the seat until you get scared and not puff out in power is equally as exciting as turning corners.. and McLaren is the car that delivers on that.

As as far as McLaren service sucking.., well... depends on where you take it. Their cars aren’t perfect, but even Porsche’s aren’t perfect either. I fancy the perfect unicorn car is the one in each of our minds that we fashioned “perfect” in our lil world. I owned a 650S that WAS a pos.., but I loooooved that car! I’ve owned multiple Porsche’s that aren’t perfect but I love them too. I’m a car guy, and I HAAAATE when people make their brand of choice the “IT” must have best car ever kind of car... truth is, if you pick a platform I’ll show you a way to beat said car.
Comical ? Really ? The 600LT is not only faster than the 675LT on most tracks but it’s also more expensive than the RS by around 50k. The 600LT is a very close competitor to the RS. The 720 is a competitor with a GT2 RS, 488, Huracan etc. the 675LT competes with the Performante and PIsta.

I agree that no brand is perfect and I’m certainly not saying that Porsche is the only good option. What I am saying after owning two Mclaren’s and having multiple friends with Mclaren’s is that they’re unreliable and not well built. There was NEVER a time I could drive a Mclaren for more than 30 min without some sort of light tuning on. My car alarm would go off in my garage at 4am and the windows would open on their own. The car would go into limp mode for no reason and the air conditioning, electronics and launch control wouldn’t even work. My friends car needed a new engine after a few thousand miles and my car had multiple mechanical problems. I can go on and on and on. Sure Porsche isn’t perfect but it’s a finely tuned piece of German engineering compared to a very fast unpredictable, fragile , poorly built English car. Sorry if you don’t agree but this has been my personal experience.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Nobody does a twin-turbo V8 better than McLaren. Spins to 8500 RPM, and sounds amazing. They somehow figured out how to make a TT V8 sound better than anyone else's. It's an amazing car, no doubt.

I'd imagine they are wildly different experiences from behind the wheel. Put them on the same rubber compound, and it's still going to be very, very close lap times. Two different tools for the same job. I honestly can't blame people for choosing any McLaren these days, they are all clearly amazing driver's cars, with stupid performance.

That said, I'm committed to good ole flat-6 NA howl as long as I can have it.....

Sounds amazing ? No , just noise . The Ferrari 488/Pista sounds way better as does the GT2 RS (if we are comparing turbo cars). As far as comparing sound to a NA car like a GT3 or Huracan lol, forget it , no competition.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
What I am saying after owning two Mclaren’s and having multiple friends with Mclaren’s is that they’re unreliable and not well built. There was NEVER a time I could drive a Mclaren for more than 30 min without some sort of light tuning on. My car alarm would go off in my garage at 4am and the windows would open on their own. The car would go into limp mode for no reason and the air conditioning, electronics and launch control wouldn’t even work. My friends car needed a new engine after a few thousand miles and my car had multiple mechanical problems. I can go on and on and on. Sure Porsche isn’t perfect but it’s a finely tuned piece of German engineering compared to a very fast unpredictable, fragile , poorly built English car. Sorry if you don’t agree but this has been my personal experience.
EXACTLY THIS.

McLarens at this point do not belong to the same sentence with "reliability" or "quality". Argue what you may, show me an LT/S that can last a whole trackday weekend without a fuss and I'll STFU.

Until then, no thank you.

And don't even get me started on Macca's racing products. I've spent enough time in enduro events to know that it's a winning bet to their DNF-ing, whether it's GT3 or GT4.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
I DO realize this is Rennlist... a Porsche biased forum... also realize y’all drink the Porsche koolaid... but compare your top track car to their sport series is comical. Put an RS on the track with a 675LT, or a 720S and see what you get? A liiiiiittle better test results I’ll bet.

I came from McLaren cars back to Porsche and I’m not impressed with this car compared to my Mclaren on any level. Straight line performance isn’t even in the same ballpark, and as far as “turning” corners, whatevs. To me, a car that can pin you back in the seat until you get scared and not puff out in power is equally as exciting as turning corners.. and McLaren is the car that delivers on that.

As as far as McLaren service sucking.., well... depends on where you take it. Their cars aren’t perfect, but even Porsche’s aren’t perfect either. I fancy the perfect unicorn car is the one in each of our minds that we fashioned “perfect” in our lil world. I owned a 650S that WAS a pos.., but I loooooved that car! I’ve owned multiple Porsche’s that aren’t perfect but I love them too. I’m a car guy, and I HAAAATE when people make their brand of choice the “IT” must have best car ever kind of car... truth is, if you pick a platform I’ll show you a way to beat said car.

This puts a dent in the 675 and 720 argument.

Also, while Motortrend had the RS on CupR’s the LT was on Trofeo R’s. Equivalent tires.

Also, while the purchase price of a 720 is less than a GT2RS it is a much more expensive car to own when you factor in depreciation unless you paid a large adm for the 2RS. Now you can buy a 2RS for list or close and my bet is 2 years for now you may lose 10-15 % on trade in. With a 720 it will be 30% or more.

Also, while we all hate ADMs there is a reason why Porsche GT cars fetch them and Macs can’t except for their hyper cars.

I love the LT when I saw it and especially when I saw on in the flesh but...the horror stories noted above and Mac depreciation keep me away. I love my RS too and historically they are as reliable as an anvil and hold there value and homlogate their cars in racing competition and WIN. Bang for the buck is damn near unbeatable.

A Porsche is a Porsche.

Last edited by Waxer; 06-05-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:56 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Evidently there’s a lot more to it than weight and hp.

Porsche. There really truly is no substitute.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Evidently there’s a lot more to it than weight and hp.

Porsche. There really truly is no substitute.
I was joking earlier but I do think big tire patch, and 911 rear weight bias is a magical sauce
Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
EXACTLY THIS.

I'll STFU.

STFU then.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:55 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
STFU then.
Which Macca do you have in mind?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:09 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by CRex
Which Macca do you have in mind?
I had a gt3rs. 1 (very reliable. unfortunately, went into a wall with it).

On my sixth one. Only one that wasn't reliable for me and I didn't know what was going to happen at a track day was my 675 coupe. (I know plenty of owners who didn't have issues with their's though).

600 LT - four track days - no problems
720s; 20 + track days (had one problem and it was my own issue; put in aftermarket turn away pipes to meet sound limit at laguna and one of them fell off)
P1 - no issues on track (odd check engine light. turn on and off and issue fixed, clutch overheating (did too many laps). Went into paddock. went out one hour later and no issue)
650s - solid in every way
Sennna - never tracked
675 spider - coolant leak on first day on track (had less than 100 miles on it. Didn't break it in properly)

Various tracks have driving schools using different marque's. Sonoma raceway had it with the Mclarens for a couple of years (no way someone puts in money into a program like that if they are breaking down).
Old 06-05-2019, 01:53 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Just so I’m clear:

Mclaren designed and produced a sports/track car from the ground up, using lessons learned from all other sports/track/race car manufacturers, emulating the dna from their own race car, not being bound to a design from 50 years ago, weighing 150lbs less than its competition, having 100 more hp than it’s competition, msrp of 50k greater than its competition, all with the conclusion of slower lap times than its competition.

And the response from the collective brain power of the auto world (which includes us) is “it is what it is.”

Another twilight zone vortex of logic?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by mass27
Just so I’m clear:

Mclaren designed and produced a sports/track car from the ground up, using lessons learned from all other sports/track/race car manufacturers, emulating the dna from their own race car, not being bound to a design from 50 years ago, weighing 150lbs less than its competition, having 100 more hp than it’s competition, msrp of 50k greater than its competition, all with the conclusion of slower lap times than its competition.

And the response from the collective brain power of the auto world (which includes us) is “it is what it is.”

Another twilight zone vortex of logic?
Seems like Motor trend needs another test driver...
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

There was a member here Ryan- who recently tracked his 3rs and the 600 on the same track, the same day. 600 was a lot faster. Hopefully he can chime in.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:32 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
There was a member here Ryan- who recently tracked his 3rs and the 600 on the same track, the same day. 600 was a lot faster. Hopefully he can chime in.
Ryan tested all 3:

600 LT >GT2rs>GR3rs in his lap time. 720 was slower then these 3 (according to him, it had worn out P zero tires (not the corsas).
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think the size and shape of the carbon tub is the limiting factor on wheel/tire width
And yet the GT race cars don't seem to have an issue putting on far wider front tyres funnily enough....

as far as the article is concerned, it's a non contest given the 3rs was on Cup2R it was always going to be quicker. The Cup2R are just a lot quicker a tyre than a Trofeo albeit one that wears even faster than the Pirelli.

not saying Mclaren are perfect as the cars are in general more fragile and less suited to being hammered on track even if they were built properly which isn't always the case but the cars are very very quick and imo do drive very well.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Sixpacked
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Best thing about Mc’s is that they are a lot easier to get hold of :-) rumor has it that they are piling up at the dealerships...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT