Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:06 PM
Howydo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a 12c and just sold my POS Mclaren 720s! Car was a 350msrp and wholesaled at 230k a year later with 800 miles on the car. The fit and finish , build quality, electronics and customer care/support were all horrible. Nothing but problems and Mclaren corporate was horrible to deal with. They wouldn’t even answer my emails, texts, voicemails etc. I traded In the 720 for a new GT3 Rs and couldn’t be happier . This is my 4th Gt3/Rs and Porsche continues to impress me. I’ve owned practically ever exotic and I keep coming back to Porsche GT cars. They are extremely well built, can take abuse, excellent customer service, good resale value, engaging to drive and just overall an excellent product. The 600LT is a cool car and it’s fast but it’s still a Mclaren and still flawed at its core with the above.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Apples to apples equal almost with pro drivers. Me thinks the average DE driver would widen the gap with the GT3 RS. But I am basing that on tracking my 570S last year, and GT3 this year.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
Had a 12c and just sold my POS Mclaren 720s! Car was a 350msrp and wholesaled at 230k a year later with 800 miles on the car. The fit and finish , build quality, electronics and customer care/support were all horrible. Nothing but problems and Mclaren corporate was horrible to deal with. They wouldn’t even answer my emails, texts, voicemails etc. I traded In the 720 for a new GT3 Rs and couldn’t be happier . This is my 4th Gt3/Rs and Porsche continues to impress me. I’ve owned practically ever exotic and I keep coming back to Porsche GT cars. They are extremely well built, can take abuse, excellent customer service, good resale value, engaging to drive and just overall an excellent product. The 600LT is a cool car and it’s fast but it’s still a Mclaren and still flawed at its core with the above.
That's pretty crazy. You would think that a company famed for its obsessive attention to detail would build their cars better. And surprised to hear about customer service as well - they were making big claims about service quality.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Reading on the Mac forums. You can fit 245 front and 325 rears on HREs on the 570 so that should go for the LT also.

Don’t think for one second Mac didn’t decide on tire sizes it didn’t consciously select as optimal.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Nobody does a twin-turbo V8 better than McLaren. Spins to 8500 RPM, and sounds amazing bad. They somehow figured out how to make a TT V8 sound better than anyone else's. It's an amazing car, no doubt.

I'd imagine they are wildly different experiences from behind the wheel. Put them on the same rubber compound, and it's still going to be very, very close lap times. Two different tools for the same job. I honestly can't blame people for choosing any McLaren these days, they are all clearly amazing driver's cars, with stupid performance.

That said, I'm committed to good ole flat-6 NA howl as long as I can have it.....
FIFY

The McLaren V8 just makes noise. Never equate noise with harmonious sound.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 PM
zmangt3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
FIFY

The McLaren V8 just makes noise. Never equate noise with harmonious sound.
As with the gt3 if you change the exhaust it's just beautiful. It's the first thing i did to my 600
Old 06-04-2019, 11:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by zmangt3
As with the gt3 if you change the exhaust it's just beautiful. It's the first thing i did to my 600
The 991 GT3 at 9k is just epic.

There is no rev range in the McLaren V8 that is epic. Just noise.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If the RS had been on regular SC2's or Dunlops the 600LT would have beat it. I just tracked both cars back to back as well and the LT beat my 19 3RS. There's a few sections where HP helps at our new track out in AZ (Apex Motorclub) but the LT is very very impressive on track. My 19RS is on stock Dunlops. Had it been on Cup2R's the results may have been different.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 180 Posts

I DO realize this is Rennlist... a Porsche biased forum... also realize y’all drink the Porsche koolaid... but compare your top track car to their sport series is comical. Put an RS on the track with a 675LT, or a 720S and see what you get? A liiiiiittle better test results I’ll bet.

I came from McLaren cars back to Porsche and I’m not impressed with this car compared to my Mclaren on any level. Straight line performance isn’t even in the same ballpark, and as far as “turning” corners, whatevs. To me, a car that can pin you back in the seat until you get scared and not puff out in power is equally as exciting as turning corners.. and McLaren is the car that delivers on that.

As as far as McLaren service sucking.., well... depends on where you take it. Their cars aren’t perfect, but even Porsche’s aren’t perfect either. I fancy the perfect unicorn car is the one in each of our minds that we fashioned “perfect” in our lil world. I owned a 650S that WAS a pos.., but I loooooved that car! I’ve owned multiple Porsche’s that aren’t perfect but I love them too. I’m a car guy, and I HAAAATE when people make their brand of choice the “IT” must have best car ever kind of car... truth is, if you pick a platform I’ll show you a way to beat said car.
The following users liked this post:
MegaLoL (01-07-2020)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:47 PM
99Gdzra
Pro

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
If the RS had been on regular SC2's or Dunlops the 600LT would have beat it. I just tracked both cars back to back as well and the LT beat my 19 3RS. There's a few sections where HP helps at our new track out in AZ (Apex Motorclub) but the LT is very very impressive on track. My 19RS is on stock Dunlops. Had it been on Cup2R's the results may have been different.
Thank you for your post.. I appreciate your experience with both cars. I just posted on the other thread regarding these two cars, and their comparison.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
Thank you for your post.. I appreciate your experience with both cars. I just posted on the other thread regarding these two cars, and their comparison.
You can see both my videos on my YT page www.youtube.com/woonryan 👍
Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

GT3 RS is cheaper than 600LT both are track focused RS / LT version of the 2nd fastest car from each. That is a perfectly legit comparison to me. 720 should compare to a GT2 RS and GT2 would win track battle.

I like Mclarens. Not making an argument here on which is “better”. Just depends what you like.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 PM
zmangt3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gdzra
I DO realize this is Rennlist... a Porsche biased forum... also realize y’all drink the Porsche koolaid... but compare your top track car to their sport series is comical. Put an RS on the track with a 675LT, or a 720S and see what you get? A liiiiiittle better test results I’ll bet.

I came from McLaren cars back to Porsche and I’m not impressed with this car compared to my Mclaren on any level. Straight line performance isn’t even in the same ballpark, and as far as “turning” corners, whatevs. To me, a car that can pin you back in the seat until you get scared and not puff out in power is equally as exciting as turning corners.. and McLaren is the car that delivers on that.

As as far as McLaren service sucking.., well... depends on where you take it. Their cars aren’t perfect, but even Porsche’s aren’t perfect either. I fancy the perfect unicorn car is the one in each of our minds that we fashioned “perfect” in our lil world. I owned a 650S that WAS a pos.., but I loooooved that car! I’ve owned multiple Porsche’s that aren’t perfect but I love them too. I’m a car guy, and I HAAAATE when people make their brand of choice the “IT” must have best car ever kind of car... truth is, if you pick a platform I’ll show you a way to beat said car.
Well said....I switched to mac from Porsche and haven't looked back. Mac Is a totally different level in my eyes. I enjoyed all my porsches over the years. The mac experience has been superb and the sound of the v8 at 8k (aftermarket exhaust) makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Originally Posted by Maverick11
GT3 RS is cheaper than 600LT both are track focused RS / LT version of the 2nd fastest car from each. That is a perfectly legit comparison to me. 720 should compare to a GT2 RS and GT2 would win track battle.

I like Mclarens. Not making an argument here on which is “better”. Just depends what you like.
Duly noted... buuuuut.. put the same tires on both cars.. GT2RS will see Mac tail lights... period! Btw... 720S is cheaper than an 2RS.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 AM
99Gdzra
Pro

Originally Posted by zmangt3
Well said....I switched to mac from Porsche and haven't looked back. Mac Is a totally different level in my eyes. I enjoyed all my porsches over the years. The mac experience has been superb and the sound of the v8 at 8k (aftermarket exhaust) makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
Agreed... McLaren is no joke!!! Love em.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT