Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:25 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Definitely a lighter and more powerful car vs 3RS but against an actual pro level driver (former Porsche young driver search GT3 cup guy today) , the cars are relatively equal. The RS tires will outlast the LT tires and after 10+ laps the LT just slides around. The extra air, contact patch, RWS and stance on the GT3RS definitely makes up for the weight/Hp at Laguna Seca. GT3RS can brake a little better and TURN a lot better in the slower corners, and the rear steer stabilized the car better down hills- corkscrew, t9-10. LT accelerates better from 3rd into 5th gear, platforms better for the uphill corners and rolls more speed through uphills like 5 and 6, pulls out of T11 better, pulls better out of 4. A fun battle.
This exactly comports with what I have experienced. Just written by a talented driver who knows what he's doing.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

CJ nice list, but with all due respect - there are many different perspectives for example I come from a dirt/tarmac/track background and even though I own a fantastic 720S I wouldn't have a Ferrari or Mclaren (admittedly haven't driven the 600LT) on my best of list but thats because I would use different criteria
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^what’s on your list?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:08 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Top 3 Road Use:
600LT
911R
Pista

Top 3 Track Use
Mono
675LT

600LT / Pista Tie
I'm really curious about the Pista comments. Have you actually driven it, or are you just making a statement based on what other have said? If you have driven it, could we get some more input about the Pista?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:15 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

103dB day today in the LT, couple other RL'ers there.

A lot of fun. Picked up 2-2.5 seconds (vs last week) being able to run flat out through 5 and 6. Need to go get new tires and an alignment now.

Trofeo R Tires totally HC'd out and icy ( once PSI over 32 and temps over 140-145F )after 2 days of open tracking- not much speed (but fun) when you are going for a fast lap and are sliding sideways past the turn in points...lol

Definitely a lighter and more powerful car vs 3RS but against an actual pro level driver (former Porsche young driver search GT3 cup guy today) , the cars are relatively equal. The RS tires will outlast the LT tires and after 10+ laps the LT just slides around. The extra air, contact patch, RWS and stance on the GT3RS definitely makes up for the weight/Hp at Laguna Seca. GT3RS can brake a little better and TURN a lot better in the slower corners, and the rear steer stabilized the car better down hills- corkscrew, t9-10. LT accelerates better from 3rd into 5th gear, platforms better for the uphill corners and rolls more speed through uphills like 5 and 6, pulls out of T11 better, pulls better out of 4. A fun battle.

The LT steering is the best- now that the 997 4.0 is considered vintage, the best steering of any cars sold in last 5 years in my opinion.

No order:

600LT
675LT
Boxster Spyder
Pista
Senna
ACR-X
991RS
911R
GT4
Mono

Caveat:
Have not driven new ford gt yet.

Top 3 Road Use:
600LT
911R
Pista

Top 3 Track Use
Mono
675LT
600LT / Pista Tie

I was there with C.J. and a few other rennlisters. (nice cars with very capable drivers - 3 600 LT's, Pista, 720s, 2 gt3rs, 2 gt3's and a few other drivers).

I had 5 track days in 600 LT with the same trofeo tires. Finally corded them near the end of the day.

One observation that I made with 600 LT (from following one); is that ESC dynamic mode is still a bit intrusive). I sense a loss of power in the uphill climb (more then it should be). Anyway's following another 600 LT in that same area, I did see the rear brake lights flash briefly (esc intervention and not because of person braking). The visual of seeing this answered some questions for me that the ESC even in ESC dynamic mode is intrusive). Not sure if I have the ***** to take it all of though.

I'm about to get an alignment done on 600 LT (normally I track a 720s but I'm liking the 600 LT so will track it more often now). Also, need new tires.

Any suggestions with alignment/camber? I was told by another poster that Cup 2's are better on 600 LT. Please give me the suggestions for alignment/camber and cup 2 cliff notes for dummies so that I can pass it on to the person who will be doing it (He's highly capable/competent but maybe I can give him some more info).
Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
One observation that I made with 600 LT (from following one); is that ESC dynamic mode is still a bit intrusive). I sense a loss of power in the uphill climb (more then it should be). Anyway's following another 600 LT in that same area, I did see the rear brake lights flash briefly (esc intervention and not because of person braking). The visual of seeing this answered some questions for me that the ESC even in ESC dynamic mode is intrusive). Not sure if I have the ***** to take it all of though.
Yeah, I even noticed a pretty big intrusion on the power delivery during my test drive on the street. Can pulled way harder with systems turned off (but then risky). Porsche does the ESC thing much better (than anyone)...
Old 06-14-2019, 01:44 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you watch the video I posted I had same issue at Thunderhill turns 5E and 9E/9C. I wasn't running ESC Dyn though, just track mode. Car was still very new to me.

I'm about to get an alignment done on 600 LT (normally I track a 720s but I'm liking the 600 LT so will track it more often now). Also, need new tires.

Any suggestions with alignment/camber? I was told by another poster that Cup 2's are better on 600 LT. Please give me the suggestions for alignment/camber and cup 2 cliff notes for dummies so that I can pass it on to the person who will be doing it (He's highly capable/competent but maybe I can give him some more info).
PLEASE let me know where you land. I have struggled with this.

Sport Cup 2s in 235/35 ZR19 and 285/35 R20? That only has a 0.3" change in rake (pointing the nose up) so shouldn't be horrible, but more air will get under the nose. And I am curious will the 235 will rub up front.

Alignment is my main issue. I've been told multiple things by different McLaren dealers: 1) max OEM geometry negative camber is -1.7deg and 2) possible to get -3deg. No idea which is true. I know there is a GT4 motorsport part (shims/camber plates) that will achieve more negative camber if necessary, but if I can get -3deg OEM then that's what I want to do.

The Trofeo's really, really, really need a better alignment than OEM. I am cording the outside shoulder before they are heat cycling.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:08 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, I even noticed a pretty big intrusion on the power delivery during my test drive on the street. Can pulled way harder with systems turned off (but then risky). Porsche does the ESC thing much better (than anyone)...
You seriously find the electronics intrusive on esc dynamic on the road? Not just on sport or track but with esc dyn switched on....?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
You seriously find the electronics intrusive on esc dynamic on the road? Not just on sport or track but with esc dyn switched on....?
I can’t tell you which level was employed at the time, as the salesman was in control of the switches...
Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
CJ nice list, but with all due respect - there are many different perspectives for example I come from a dirt/tarmac/track background and even though I own a fantastic 720S I wouldn't have a Ferrari or Mclaren (admittedly haven't driven the 600LT) on my best of list but thats because I would use different criteria
My list is best steering feel of cars in last 5 years. Not best cars.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
I'm really curious about the Pista comments. Have you actually driven it, or are you just making a statement based on what other have said? If you have driven it, could we get some more input about the Pista?

Thanks.
Yes I drove the pista at Laguna Seca for 15 laps during the Ferrari Challenge series weekend recently. 3 sessions of 5 laps. The car has incredibly far surpassed the 458 Speciale which was a favorite of mine for noises and power delivery etc but not steering feel.

The pista:
720S power, 675/600LT steering, GT2RS levels of grip.

So, the best of all worlds. Now- it's 470k or so...which means IT BETTER BE GOOD FOR THAT MONEY!

The pista pulls Way Harder at the top of the rev range vs the 488 standard which kind of lumbers along for the last 1000 rpms. The gearbox is great, suspension grip is awesome, etc.

I also drove it around HWY 68 for a bit as part of the test drive program they offered me. 100% love it. The first ferrari I drove and had my expectations surpassed. I have owned: 275, 550, 599, 812, 458 speciale, and driven: 16M, 430Sscud, 575, F40, 488 spider/coupe, 458 spider/ coupe, F12, etc.

The pista is the best ferrari I have driven. Feels more stout, capable, and powerful.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:59 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Yes I drove the pista at Laguna Seca for 15 laps during the Ferrari Challenge series weekend recently. 3 sessions of 5 laps. The car has incredibly far surpassed the 458 Speciale which was a favorite of mine for noises and power delivery etc but not steering feel.

The pista:

So, the best of all worlds. Now- it's 470k or so...which means IT BETTER BE GOOD FOR THAT MONEY!

The pista pulls Way Harder at the top of the rev range vs the 488 standard which kind of lumbers along for the last 1000 rpms. The gearbox is great, suspension grip is awesome, etc.

I also drove it around HWY 68 for a bit as part of the test drive program they offered me. 100% love it. The first ferrari I drove and had my expectations surpassed. I have owned: 275, 550, 599, 812, 458 speciale, and driven: 16M, 430Sscud, 575, F40, 488 spider/coupe, 458 spider/ coupe, F12, etc.

The pista is the best ferrari I have driven. Feels more stout, capable, and powerful.

Wow!! That’s powerful praise. Mine arrives in the fall. Can’t wait.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The pista:

Dang...I'm impressed. Thats about all I can say. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry for being off topic here but this is for anyone here... Is it true that the Pista's are only going to long time Ferrari enthusiasts who have bought many previous models? (Similar to the 918 going to previous Porsche enthusiasts/ford GT the same...)

I've never owned a Ferrari but would love to be able to get into a Pista at close to MSRP
Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Wow!! That’s powerful praise. Mine arrives in the fall. Can’t wait.
C.J. assessment of Pista not in so much detail but owners who are capable track people is very similar. They don't have a bias (they generally own across the marques).

The simple assessment is that it is the real deal (it should be; even funny that a person has to say this) and just as fast as a 720s (it seems that is what owners are benchmarking it against).

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT