Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
My.1 RS cost me 215k. Traded in 1.5 years later and got 182k.

Yet you don’t see me crying on the boards about resale value.

bro- and I mean this with the utmost respect- stick to Porsche. You seem too fragile to own anything else. The depreciation will kill you on other cars.

as far as macs- seems like most owners seem to be happy and are multiple time owners. Yes there are folks that have problems and for that I feel bad.

But I’ve owned Ferrari, Porsche, mclaren- my 720 is the best car over ever owned and I enjoy it tremendously. When it’s time to sell or trade in sure I’ll get my *** handed to me but it will have been worth every penny.

im on the hunt for another manual Porsche as I really miss my Touring. Timing is bad for me as I have a Pista incoming, have to buy my daughter a car and my wife just ordered a new E Tron. So my manual Porsche is gonna have to wait to few months so I can spread out the financial pain a bit.
Bro, and I mean this sincerely, thanks for the concern. Yeah, getting hammered on resale is painful and one of my pet peeves. I work too hard for what I make to tolerate major hits on resale at this altitude.

Porsche provides the best of both worlds. World class marque with performance and resale to match. Helps me sleep soundly with a smile. 👍

im glad you love your Mac. They are beautiful and if it makes you happy that’s all that matters.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Bro, and I mean this sincerely, thanks for the concern. Yeah, getting hammered on resale is painful and one of my pet peeves.
Then don’t buy a cayenne, or a GTS, or a Panamera, or a macan.

just stick with the two cars that Porsche makes that don’t depreciate....much. The GT series. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:30 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,014 Likes on 644 Posts

In my experience car manufacturers ebb and flow in terms of quality of product and desirability.

Early on, Mac suffered real QA/QC issues, over time the quality of the their products has increased - you might actually argue they have made great leaps and bounds in a relatively short time. Conversely, Porsche have had a number of well publicised disasters e.g. the engine in the 991.1 GT3 - the reality is it took them many years to deal with a "fatal" design and manufacturing flaw. Likewise with the GT4 third cog, this was equally troubling - in both cases, and at the end of the day, along with significant pressure from owners they ultimately dealt with both problems.

It was this behaviour that pushed me towards Mclaren and the 720S, and frankly, its a head and shoulders above pretty much anything but the GT2 RS. By the same token at its price point it should be - does this mean its "better" than a GT3 or GT3 RS. No. It has a totally different character, in fact they are not really that comparable to be honest. Has buying a Mclaren driven me away from Porsche. No clearly not, hence the incoming 991 II GT3 RS (replacing my 991 II GTS) - in fact I would go a long way to arguing the "best" all round Porsche I still have is my 981 GTS - yes, a humble 340HP Cayman GTS (all round useability, total fun factor, chuckability, look, compliance).

As to Ferraris and Lambos, I think the higher end Mclarens offer something different and are in fact more interesting and to the practical of banging a car round a track its hard to beat a Porsche (reliability, durability, consistency, BOP - as in all round balance of performance e.g. not one dimensional).

In terms of pricing, depreciation etc - lets face it, if we are able to own these cars we are able to cover them and understand the financial impacts well enough to make our various choices and decisions. I should put up a few pictures of the RS and S - ying and yang, night and day, chalk and cheese, beauty and the beast, bourbon and whisky, Grange Hermitage and Hill of Grace.

I don't think there is any great need to over analyse this
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
In my experience car manufacturers ebb and flow in terms of quality of product and desirability.

Early on, Mac suffered real QA/QC issues, over time the quality of the their products has increased - you might actually argue they have made great leaps and bounds in a relatively short time. Conversely, Porsche have had a number of well publicised disasters e.g. the engine in the 991.1 GT3 - the reality is it took them many years to deal with a "fatal" design and manufacturing flaw. Likewise with the GT4 third cog, this was equally troubling - in both cases, and at the end of the day, along with significant pressure from owners they ultimately dealt with both problems.

It was this behaviour that pushed me towards Mclaren and the 720S, and frankly, its a head and shoulders above pretty much anything but the GT2 RS. By the same token at its price point it should be - does this mean its "better" than a GT3 or GT3 RS. No. It has a totally different character, in fact they are not really that comparable to be honest. Has buying a Mclaren driven me away from Porsche. No clearly not, hence the incoming 991 II GT3 RS (replacing my 991 II GTS) - in fact I would go a long way to arguing the "best" all round Porsche I still have is my 981 GTS - yes, a humble 340HP Cayman GTS (all round useability, total fun factor, chuckability, look, compliance).

As to Ferraris and Lambos, I think the higher end Mclarens offer something different and are in fact more interesting and to the practical of banging a car round a track its hard to beat a Porsche (reliability, durability, consistency, BOP - as in all round balance of performance e.g. not one dimensional).

In terms of pricing, depreciation etc - lets face it, if we are able to own these cars we are able to cover them and understand the financial impacts well enough to make our various choices and decisions. I should put up a few pictures of the RS and S - ying and yang, night and day, chalk and cheese, beauty and the beast, bourbon and whisky, Grange Hermitage and Hill of Grace.

I don't think there is any great need to over analyse this
+1
Old 06-11-2019, 01:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

All threads should start with

"Bro, and I mean this sincerely..." followed by anything else.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio

This could be good and bad.

”Bro, and I mean this sincerely, I hope you enjoy your car fully”
Thats good.

”Bro, and I mean this sincerely, you are a moron”
Bad.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Ouch!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Then don’t buy a cayenne, or a GTS, or a Panamera, or a macan.

just stick with the two cars that Porsche makes that don’t depreciate....much. The GT series. Good luck.
The above P cars are DDs and depreciate like any other DD. GT cars are at a different price point and purpose.

I dont spend pend more than $100k on a DD.

My DD is a Raptor. Minimal depreciation.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

The above P cars are DDs and depreciate like any other DD. GT cars are at a different price point and purpose.

I dont spend pend more than $100k on a DD.

My DD is a Raptor. Minimal depreciation.
As the leading GT car fanboy (well, fanboy for anything you own) here, I do appreciate your passion and persistence.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BryanCO
As the leading GT car fanboy (well, fanboy for anything you own) here, I do appreciate your passion and persistence.
👍 Thanks. Just calling it the way I see it.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Yesyoucan says he got $145k on his .1 RS after a couple years and 6500 miles. First, I suspect his dealer was aware the car was tracked. Second sounds like the car had track mods..shopped around to race shops????�� Tracking a car is a Kiss of death for resale in many cases. Second 6500 miles was VERY high mileage for a .1 RS at that time and now make it a tracked car to boot with mods. No wonder it got slammed. Regardless that was still low for trade in value.
tracking a track car is not the kiss of death on value. Dealers might very well use that as leverage to low ball a trade bid. But when you are buying that same "tracked" car from the dealer, they will tell you that tracking doesnt affect it a bit...that that is what these cars are made for. I have sold my tracked cars (991 gt3, 991.2 gt3 and gt4) and not taken a hit whatsoever. You just have to sell it to someone that appreciates what the car was made to do and/or will use the thing for its intended purpose.

Its pretty disappointing that a gt3 rs enthusiast would further the misconception that a tracked car is significantly less valuable. Ive seen street only cars that were in much worse condition that any of
my tracked cars.

The bigger question is why would anyone buy a car that is so good at what it does (perform majestically at the track), that was manufactured and engineered with a track focus in mind, and that even has a warranty that covers track use---- only to never track it? some folks might call such a person a "poser"? of course, I realize that some folks just like the look and feel of the car and want to be able to drive "really aggressively in the twisties..".....but I dont see the point. There are better cars for those purposes if you dont intend to track.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

^^^agree. If not taking a 991rs to DE, plenty of cars I'd own before it for street-only......plenty. On other hand i think it's the best DE car made; not a race car; not that great of a street car.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911therapy
tracking a track car is not the kiss of death on value. Dealers might very well use that as leverage to low ball a trade bid. But when you are buying that same "tracked" car from the dealer, they will tell you that tracking doesnt affect it a bit...that that is what these cars are made for. I have sold my tracked cars (991 gt3, 991.2 gt3 and gt4) and not taken a hit whatsoever. You just have to sell it to someone that appreciates what the car was made to do and/or will use the thing for its intended purpose.

Its pretty disappointing that a gt3 rs enthusiast would further the misconception that a tracked car is significantly less valuable. Ive seen street only cars that were in much worse condition that any of
my tracked cars.

The bigger question is why would anyone buy a car that is so good at what it does (perform majestically at the track), that was manufactured and engineered with a track focus in mind, and that even has a warranty that covers track use---- only to never track it? some folks might call such a person a "poser"? of course, I realize that some folks just like the look and feel of the car and want to be able to drive "really aggressively in the twisties..".....but I dont see the point. There are better cars for those purposes if you dont intend to track.
Dealers I’ve spoken too see it differently. I believe most buyers of used vehicles see it differently too.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

an awesome read. thanks for sharing. a full second is a big margin by any stretch, but being down a full 100hp makes it that nothing short of exceptional.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
^^^agree. If not taking a 991rs to DE, plenty of cars I'd own before it for street-only......plenty. On other hand i think it's the best DE car made; not a race car; not that great of a street car.
I completely disagree.

I do not track but I think the .2 Manual is a freakin blast and beast for the street. There is no other street car I would want.

The Porsche heritage, impeccable steering, one of the best clutches and 6-speed, NA engine, unparalleled throttle response - all of this does not need tracked to be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 RS vs McLaren 600LT