I've owned quite a few Porsches over the years:

2004 Cayenne S
Boxster RS60
997.1 Carrera
997.2 C2S
991.1 S and GTS
PTT
991.2 911 TT

I took a 115 mile round trip today over to Indiana by the lake to see my Dad. I had only put 100 miles on the car since getting it a few weeks ago, so this was the most extended time in the car.

This is the most fun, most responsive Porsche I've ever driven. I only wish I could have ordered it new and broke it in. But OK, I got it with 820 miles on the clock, pretty close. I also feel fortunate to have it.

My Dad is 68 and beat cancer twice, now retired and after lunch he wanted to see the engine. "WHAT??" he says as I open the rear lid..."You can't see the engine!!?" - but he approved of the carbon fiber engine cover.
"Man, this thing is low slung. Look at this wing!! Didn't you have a GT3 before?"

Me: "No, it was a GTS - big difference" - (gloss white) - GT3 is Carrara white metallic which looks like it has silver flakes in it - which I really like.

I thought I was going to take him for a spin BUT He gets in the driver's seat and wants to take it for a quick spin. I had to show him how to put the key in properly on the left. The look on his face as he starts it up..."Whoa...this thing sounds rough" Runs rough! What the Hell?". I just laughed. He just sits there and looks at the gages. ha ha

"Can you drive it like an automatic?"
Me: "Sure, you can, I haven't done that yet but you can...let's just back up and just pop it into drive."

We pull out onto a side road and he's gingerly with it, the PDK shifting conservatively 2, 3, 4, (which I haven't seen it do yet since I've been in manual always so far) only around 3000 rpm or so. He goes down a mile and we go around a roundabout and come back. He stops.

"I want to do that again".

Second time around- he's a little more aggressive, taking it up around 3500 rpm, and I show him he can use the paddles even when in Drive. So he downshifts. Then he gives it some beans...and here comes the laugh.
"Ha ha ha this thing is crazy" - "Wow - how can I get to 7000 rpm or even 9000?? I'm already 55 in a 30 zone"

THE LAUGH. That's what I remember having in every Porsche I've driven that I truly loved getting into...the Laugh. I had it when I test drove this thing for the first time...I was hooked.

We go around again, now he's in Manual mode, and using the paddles full-time. "Damn!! This thing is planted-"

He drove it all the way into a parking lot where we got ice cream. He didn't want to get out of it.

I'll remember that for the rest of my life. I'm happy he got to drive it. "I got to test drive a GT3 today", he kept muttering as we ate ice cream.

I'm being careful with the engine for now, under 7000 rpm- but I'll tell you- this thing gathers speed on the highway like nothing I've ever driven, not even the Turbo...it's effortless in this car. Turbo was great too- a little faster in a straight line but the rev capability was way lower. I blew by a few cars coming back and was up near 100 mph (not weaving of course, responsible), and I legit had goosebumps in this car. A lot of it is the sound of the engine, the responsiveness- this car feels like 520 hp to me.

Best Porsche I've ever driven.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:43 PM
crayon991
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they definitely are a fantastic car to drive-- an event every time.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,166 Likes on 565 Posts

Great story - thanks for sharing. Many more awesome memories to come.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

THE LAUGH! So true.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 PM
bvineyards
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for sharing. Happy to hear your father beat cancer. We had a close call with my dad. We are so fortunate he made it. Thank you immunotherapy and to the people who developed it.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:28 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,484 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by bvineyards
Thank you for sharing. Happy to hear your father beat cancer. We had a close call with my dad. We are so fortunate he made it. Thank you immunotherapy and to the people who developed it.
That's good to hear!!

He gave a further report on driving the GT3- "I found no flaws" "Precision machine"
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 PM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Lol. Good report. Wait til you put a exhaust on it. You will giggle again.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:00 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 693 Likes on 385 Posts

The minute you get past the break-in period, get your dad back in there...The sound from 7-9 is progressively intoxicating, I'm sure your dad will appreciate it.

Report back his findings, I'd love to hear it
Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,484 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
The minute you get past the break-in period, get your dad back in there...The sound from 7-9 is progressively intoxicating, I'm sure your dad will appreciate it.

Report back his findings, I'd love to hear it
Will do !!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:13 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did another 100 miles today as well after not driving the car for a few weeks since delivery. With a graduated rpm break in, every additional 100 miles is almost like a level up in a game. I thought the car was good when I picked it up. It’s really something else now that I’m at 7k rpm. I can’t wait to finish break in.

The 991.2 GT3 is so unique because it’s got so many different personalities. I find it easy to drive in stop and go traffic with autoblip and the lighter steering at low speeds. (Heel and toe’ing in slow traffic ain’t fun.). It’s almost like a turbo when it kicks in around 6-7k rpm (when I drove it at PEC LA). And it’s a handful and like my old 997.2 GT3 closer to redline.

There’s a lot of depth to the character of this car. I’m looking forward to driving this car for years to come.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 195 Posts

Awesome! Love love love white
Old 06-02-2019, 01:02 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 167 Posts

Enjoyed reading every word.
Well done.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Berjar
Racer

Received 356 Likes on 139 Posts

I know the "laugh" well. One of the cool things about owning this car is taking people for rides and getting the animated reactions when they experience 9000 rpm or even 60% of the cornering grip. Many people have no idea a car can do what these can do. The acceleration and sound is incredible but the braking and cornering even at a conservitive 60% is mind blowing to the average person.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:56 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Great story thx for sharing. After all the value threads it’s great to see someone just enjoying the car for what it’s best at. Making memories

I hope you have many more miles and smiles
Old 06-02-2019, 09:14 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
I've owned quite a few Porsches over the years:

2004 Cayenne S
Boxster RS60
997.1 Carrera
997.2 C2S
991.1 S and GTS
PTT
991.2 911 TT

I took a 115 mile round trip today over to Indiana by the lake to see my Dad. I had only put 100 miles on the car since getting it a few weeks ago, so this was the most extended time in the car.

This is the most fun, most responsive Porsche I've ever driven. I only wish I could have ordered it new and broke it in. But OK, I got it with 820 miles on the clock, pretty close. I also feel fortunate to have it.

My Dad is 68 and beat cancer twice, now retired and after lunch he wanted to see the engine. "WHAT??" he says as I open the rear lid..."You can't see the engine!!?" - but he approved of the carbon fiber engine cover.
"Man, this thing is low slung. Look at this wing!! Didn't you have a GT3 before?"

Me: "No, it was a GTS - big difference" - (gloss white) - GT3 is Carrara white metallic which looks like it has silver flakes in it - which I really like.

I thought I was going to take him for a spin BUT He gets in the driver's seat and wants to take it for a quick spin. I had to show him how to put the key in properly on the left. The look on his face as he starts it up..."Whoa...this thing sounds rough" Runs rough! What the Hell?". I just laughed. He just sits there and looks at the gages. ha ha

"Can you drive it like an automatic?"
Me: "Sure, you can, I haven't done that yet but you can...let's just back up and just pop it into drive."

We pull out onto a side road and he's gingerly with it, the PDK shifting conservatively 2, 3, 4, (which I haven't seen it do yet since I've been in manual always so far) only around 3000 rpm or so. He goes down a mile and we go around a roundabout and come back. He stops.

"I want to do that again".

Second time around- he's a little more aggressive, taking it up around 3500 rpm, and I show him he can use the paddles even when in Drive. So he downshifts. Then he gives it some beans...and here comes the laugh.
"Ha ha ha this thing is crazy" - "Wow - how can I get to 7000 rpm or even 9000?? I'm already 55 in a 30 zone"

THE LAUGH. That's what I remember having in every Porsche I've driven that I truly loved getting into...the Laugh. I had it when I test drove this thing for the first time...I was hooked.

We go around again, now he's in Manual mode, and using the paddles full-time. "Damn!! This thing is planted-"

He drove it all the way into a parking lot where we got ice cream. He didn't want to get out of it.

I'll remember that for the rest of my life. I'm happy he got to drive it. "I got to test drive a GT3 today", he kept muttering as we ate ice cream.

I'm being careful with the engine for now, under 7000 rpm- but I'll tell you- this thing gathers speed on the highway like nothing I've ever driven, not even the Turbo...it's effortless in this car. Turbo was great too- a little faster in a straight line but the rev capability was way lower. I blew by a few cars coming back and was up near 100 mph (not weaving of course, responsible), and I legit had goosebumps in this car. A lot of it is the sound of the engine, the responsiveness- this car feels like 520 hp to me.

Best Porsche I've ever driven.
The GT3/3RS are phenomena cars. Plenty for the street and once you start to get used to her buy a side delete or rear bypass and fall in love all over again.

congratulations friend, you bought yourself a gem of car!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Best Porsche I've ever driven