Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearden Racing at Sonoma running with HPDE, close call with RS and hits FRS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rearden Racing at Sonoma running with HPDE, close call with RS and hits FRS

https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/05/31/hpde-drivers-allege-rearden-racing-monopolized-open-session-left-frs-wrecked/

Ridiculous how this "race team" behaved on a HPDE event at Sonoma. I hope to never be at risk at a HPDE event, hopefully the lizard RS has full PPF with those rocks, glad it was not more serious.

Who's primarily at fault, the HPDE organizer not shutting the race team down after complaints or the race team using a HPDE event to test and tune?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:00 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Yeah, I have been through this a few times with different race teams and Lou Gigliotti on a few occasions.
No awareness, unsafe, unpredictable, big ego and on a few occasions just plain slow. The focus and objective of the DE is lost on these people. They treat it as a test and tune or a race. If they want to race they need to do it at different events.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You have to leave. Write off the day and don’t go back.
ive gone to some cowboy track days and it’s just not worth it.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:20 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks for posting this ... into my list of companies never to do business with they go.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:33 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I was there that day and these Rearden fools were lining up to be the first 4 cars out at the session, at which point they did a slow warm-up lap weaving back and forth to warm up their tires while the entire remainder of the cars in the session were prevented from passing.

What’s worse is the organizer supposedly required mandatory attendance at the morning drivers meeting and a subsequent download session after the first session to receive sign-off to go out on track, but this was completely waived for these guys as they never attended anything despite many complaints after each session to the organizers.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I’ve run with this HPDE group twice - both times I left early due to tolerance of unsafe driving behavior being tolerated and/or ignored - 1st time i thought it mi get be a fluke, 2nd time confirmed it was a policy. i simply take my HPDE $$ elsewhere and pass on events organized by this organization.

its ashame this preventable situation happened, really ashame.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

responsible race teams rent an entire session group from a DE group and are on track by themselves with no other DE drivers - everybody wins - de group saves money, race team is on track for rest/tune, de drivers get to watch why racing is different

when i first got a cup car i rented an entire group for the day from a bay area DE group at a reasonable price - that way i was out there learning on my own with no once else being impacted by my novice cup car skills - it was one of the best days ever for me and no one got hurt other than my ego!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

What Bozos. Pushing around HPDE guys and recklessly.

Despite the Release and Waiver it won’t protect the organization from reckless conduct. They are flirting with a major lawsuit if someone gets hurt.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Those two incidents are incredible. Wtf!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:33 PM
unmanned
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's just unbelievable. I've done a few DE with race teams on track, but those teams were more than courteous and made sure everyone felt comfortable. Hopefully this organization will learn some lessons and get the teams that want to come to their days in line.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:42 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Local club always has 1 session that's for "race ready" teams. Full race Prep cars may politely run in the other sessions.
Step out and your tossed no questions. NOBODY gets to skip the driver meeting period ever..
Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

I've tracked with SpeedSF among many organizations and feel they run a pretty safe track day. The most advanced session is more for quasi-racing/open for race ready cars (this session is not covered by some insurance policies) whereas the other sessions are DE/covered by insurance (seems like the R8 was in one of these groups 'mixed passing'). Regardless, this Rearden team looks like they were not local to the track (seems like Utah). A good driver can deal with both fast and slow drivers on the track and having been on the track with good drivers in Cup Cars, GT4 series, race prepped, etc I actually feel are some of the safer times I've been on the track due to driver skill as they know how to handle all kinds of situations. The fact that they're out of state, at one of the most difficult/technical tracks in the US, going to a mostly DE group means they're trying to do "racing" on a budget vs renting out a track for time like most orgs do. Then you have the Rearden lunatics try to BLAME the DE folks and a pro race driver (Joe's rear-view camera clearly showed the 370z came in way too hot and early apexed that corner, the exact WRONG way to take that turn), the R8 driver demand the FRS driver for compensation, the bad behavior overall from the day that was clearly angering those who attended, and trying to do "racing" on the cheap. Just a bad overall fact pattern. Can be argued that they should be banned not only from Sonoma but with other Speedway Motorsports tracks across the country.

Last edited by FogCitySF; 06-02-2019 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 06-02-2019, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

complain about the organization... sure they sucked. but if you paid up and run my track days, you have way better time. but I am tired of hearing cows.

that said, with the complaints, organizer should be on track and observe. I would have kicked all of them out

Audi hit the car in front, and demands compensation. wow, that's new. I got you preg, it's b/c your rough vagina poked a hole in my condemn.
I am glad I wan't here that day, else they wouldn't make it back to UTAH alive.

the Z....
he's lucky he didn't hit the wall on left.
even if GT3RS was not there, he was way too hot into that turn.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Is that Joe or Ben driving the RS?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

start gathering a group of guys, and rent the track yourself. try and stay away from big circuits and find small ones.

Quick Reply: Rearden Racing at Sonoma running with HPDE, close call with RS and hits FRS