Sponsored by:

Just got the GT3 ceramic coated. Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Just got the GT3 ceramic coated. Some questions

Looks awesomeee. Now for the guys that have done it. Help me out on maintenance. Wish I had a garage but dont at the moment so stays outside in the driveway. Would always put the oem porsche car cover on but thats a no no I heard. I even asked the guy 1-10 1 being the worst. He said around 3.5/4ish the paint was. Wow had no idea my paint was that bad. Only has a 980 miles on her. A lot is from the car cover he said. A lot of swirls and light abrasions. Even tho it has the 9h coating I do not want that coming back. So no more cover ?! And what products should I get to maintain it. Thanks!! I will google but just want some of your personal input. Thanks!

Last edited by Scottykenneth; 05-28-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:42 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

which ceramic product did you get?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Ceramic Pro
Old 05-28-2019, 03:54 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the best thing you can do is regular washing. I have cquartz finest reserve and wash it regular with carpro reset. Also once every few washes I use carpro reload to renew the surface and bring back the water beading and slick finish.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

Which Porsche cover? The Outdoor?
Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If the car is parked in the open, then your best bet is probably leave it and just wash it correctly. By correctly that means as little contact as possible: pressure wash, foam cannon, 2 bucket method, rinse, blow dry. Or wash it AFTER every drive and put on the car cover if time permits. Putting on a car cover on a dirty car is basically scratching your car every time you put it on and off.
I do this for my daily driver, but instead of spending all the time to wash it, I just quick detail spray and do a waterless wash, and cover it. The nice thing about car covers is it can extend your wash to 2-4 weeks, instead of every 3 days. Also, a tight fitting car cover like the oem porsche one is probably the worse, looks good but the tighter it fits the more easily the swirls are created.
I have clear bra and ceramic pro on all my cars, the 9H really does nothing to protect the car from scratches or rock chips, it just makes the car wash easier and elements less likely to stick to it, so you can eliminate the amount of scrubbing. In fact in normal conditions, I dont even need to touch the car other than drying a few spots that's hard to blow dry.
But given your circumstance, clear bra the whole car is probably the easiest. If that's too much $$, then I would wash it correctly, lay a giant microfiber blanket above the roof, hood and spoiler, then put over a looser fitting fully waterproof car cover to extend the time between car washes.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Carpro has some good products. I've been using their Reset and Ech2o.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

The installer should have provided a little Ceramic Pro booklet that explains how to maintain it, what's required to keep the warranty up (hint: it's an annual visit) and what products are suggested.

I had it installed on my black truck (which is kept outside since it's a truck), after 15 months I can say the 9H hardening protection is still alive and well but the hydrophobic properties are pretty much dead... But this is where the annual visit comes into play when they re-apply the "Light" layer.

Personally, I use the Adam's shampoo and beadmaker as the drying agent, not really interested in annual visits.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Take a look at Hydrosilex. I use it regularly on my cars (both ceramic coated and non-coated) and like it a lot.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:37 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
I think the best thing you can do is regular washing. I have cquartz finest reserve and wash it regular with carpro reset. Also once every few washes I use carpro reload to renew the surface and bring back the water beading and slick finish.
I hear that this guy in westport with a McLaren will reload your car anytime you want.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Looks awesomeee. Now for the guys that have done it. Help me out on maintenance. Wish I had a garage but dont at the moment so stays outside in the driveway. Would always put the oem porsche car cover on but thats a no no I heard. I even asked the guy 1-10 1 being the worst. He said around 3.5/4ish the paint was. Wow had no idea my paint was that bad. Only has a 980 miles on her. A lot is from the car cover he said. A lot of swirls and light abrasions. Even tho it has the 9h coating I do not want that coming back. So no more cover ?! And what products should I get to maintain it. Thanks!! I will google but just want some of your personal input. Thanks!
You use the car cover BEFORE your car was coated and it scratched your paint badly? Now, you are getting recommendations to also not use the car cover AFTER your car is coated?

No offense, sounds like an operator error.

I have been using car covers for as long as I can remember and always have someone to help me put it on and never just drag the car cover around even on the "clean" side. Now with also 9H coating on mine, I definitely have no scratch concerns as described.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:10 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

If you are using the Porsche outdoor cover it is the equivalent of sandpaper!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Like many said already, the Carpro products work well... but I find the ceramic pro stuff is a step above.
For me, I wash with reset when it get rained-on or after a road trip. Every 3-4 wash I use Carpro H2O wash for that imaginary “pop”?
What I find most effective though is Ceramic Pro Sport (see pic below). I’ve only used it once since I applied the coating, they say it’s not necessary within the first 1-2 years but I “only” got the second tier Ceramic Pro package (the one with 2 coats of 9h instead of 5).
I had to beg and bother the guy to sell me a bottle (not cheap) because I do believe they sell it as a package by itself.
Quick detailing duties are done mostly with distilled water with occasional use of Carpro Elixr or Beadmaker (both diluted).

I would not use a car cover if the car is parked outdoors unless it’s a weather proof one and ONLY after a wash and dry (don’t delay putting the cover on her after the wash since crap blows around and lands in your paint within seconds of being stationary outside.
(at the risk of being “that guy” in your neighbourhood, have you considered a car bubble?)
Hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:49 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Car cover like everyone said is fine if car is clean. When I had no garage. I would either wash care before putting cover back on, or use a california duster to get the dust off then put cover on. This method did not create any swirl or scratch marks on my BMW M Roadster at the time. Paint for BMW is just as bad as porsche. Now that you have ceramic coat it should hold up even better. Just don't use the duster if you get the car wet or similar non dry dirt. Dry dirt like dust and pollen come off great with it before you cover the car.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replys guys!! Yea the OEM outdoor GT3 cover is pretty damn snug. Ill leave it off for awhile and see the results. Ill look into buying some upkeep care products def!

Quick Reply: Just got the GT3 ceramic coated. Some questions