Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Would you pass on a Speedster at list? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1144673-would-you-pass-on-a-speedster-at-list.html)

niqui7ladoo 05-25-2019 12:11 AM

Would you pass on a Speedster at list?

Hey guys,

A bit puzzled on whether to trade my Irish Green GT3 in against a new Speedster. I have an allocation at list, but it won't be PTS. I wanted one when I saw the original concept pics but didn't expect the list price to be nearly double a GT3 and figured production would be lower with more unique differentiating elements from the normal line of cars. So, my initial reaction was to pass.... However, I have been thinking about it a bit more and since I have not physically seen or driven the car, I was wondering if you guys think it truly is more than "just a GT3 w/out a roof" ? I was mentally getting ready to take the plunge (still not totally sure) if I could get a PTS slot (dark metallic green, signal yellow, etc.) but my dealer said no chance at PTS for me here...so it would be a "normal" Speedster or nothing.

I definitely think it is overpriced, but I don't have ADM to worry about and if it is sufficiently special then maybe I am being daft in passing just because it is 75K more than I think it should be. I am not buying to flip or as an investment, but for this much coin, I would like some comfort in knowing that it is likely to hold or appreciate a bit (v my GT3). I really love my current GT3 spec but I cannot justify two cars of this type - it is a weekend toy.

I am in Eastern Canada.

unotaz 05-25-2019 12:16 AM

Which country are you located in?

niqui7ladoo 05-25-2019 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by unotaz (Post 15864140)
Which country are you located in?

Canada, sorry should have specified.

evilfij 05-25-2019 12:32 AM

No PTS would make it a tough choice for me.

Nendo 05-25-2019 12:43 AM

I think after the 911R debacle Porsche has played the game a bit differently now by baking the speculation into the inflated price. With GT3, GT2RS and GT3RS all going for list now it would be hard to justify the mark up for a GT3 with the roof cut off.

niqui7ladoo 05-25-2019 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15864168)
No PTS would make it a tough choice for me.

I feel like if I could get a PTS slot, it would be impossibly hard to pass on a Speedster. I truly love my green GT3 and would love a dark metallic green Speedster, but even at 300k, don't know if I would think it was "worth" it over my car.

In this case, I think I would go Heritage Pack (maybe no decals soI wouldn't feel like a tool)...I am not a huge silver car guy at all, but the cognac and metallic silver combo looks pretty sexy.

TylerCoupe 05-25-2019 02:05 AM

If only one car...I would stick with GT3....great car in any of the versions. If you can swing more than one....Speedster would be a great second GT car. My perfect duo for modern GT cars are 911R and Speedster. I drive primarily on the road not track which informs my decision. I could see others picking a RS and Speedster which is another great combo.

Definitely would not pass on the Speedster.....trying to ignore the ADM and value noise that is picking up here....although in some cases good entertainment

Drifting 05-25-2019 02:51 AM

I'd keep a PTS GT3. If you feel the need to add a open top car, I'd just add the new 718 Spyder. And you'd still spend less money....

CAlexio 05-25-2019 02:54 AM

No one can answer this for you, but the answer lies somewhere in your "heart".. meaning

-do the design and proportions move you?
-does the fact that engine noise is heavily muted bother you?
-are you going to drive it with abandon, or think of it as an "investment" (just writing that makes me throw up a bit in the back of my mouth)

Or better put.. does it give you a chubby?

Y: buy it
N: fcuk it

AmneZia 05-25-2019 03:58 AM

If you are a cabriolet guy you buy it ;)

rickman_fr 05-25-2019 04:17 AM

they are plenty of PTS GT3 and more no PTS and 992 GT3 is coming soon.

Speedster is unique and will remain even if Porsche sells a 992 GT3 cab.

Porsch 05-25-2019 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by rickman_fr (Post 15864329)
they are plenty of PTS GT3 and more no PTS and 992 GT3 is coming soon.

Agree with this. I've had some PTS GT cars and it's always nice to get your favorite color. But Porsche did a ton of PTS for the 991.2 GT3 and it's really not exclusive or special anymore. Heck it didn't take long before we were seeing PTS GT3s under sticker this time around.

evilfij 05-25-2019 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Porsch (Post 15864441)
Agree with this. I've had some PTS GT cars and it's always nice to get your favorite color. But Porsche did a ton of PTS for the 991.2 GT3 and it's really not exclusive or special anymore. Heck it didn't take long before we were seeing PTS GT3s under sticker this time around.

True, even 155 GT3T in NA is a lot. But prices on those seem to be holding ok.

Porsch 05-25-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15864458)
True, even 155 GT3T in NA is a lot. But prices on those seem to be holding ok.

Agree with you but given how non-PTS GT3T are doing, I'd wager that has a lot more to do with them being touring than being PTS.

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15864293)
For example, my dealer has a PTS gulf orange car PDK for like 8k under MSRP asking with a couple hundred miles on it. It does not have LWB, but I think it shows it’s a buyer’s market.

From your post in another thread ^^^ -- my point exactly (and gulf orange is actually one of the good PTS colors -- not all are). There are many examples like this on the market now or in recent weeks.

Captain Scurry 05-25-2019 09:29 AM

Having seen the Heritage version in person, I agree with you that it looks the best. Should you buy it? Very hard to answer.

my personal thoughts as a busy working man in a 4 season locale:
way overpriced
impractical / limited use (esp. in cold weather regions)
not a big fan of open tops
really just seems like GT3 cabrio that has been slightly softened - where is the uniqueness?
it would probably sit in my garage collecting dust as I glance at it on the way to work every morning

That said, if you have the money, space, time, and any interest in it, I say buy it. If I was retired, flush with cash, lived in a warm weather environment, and loved open top driving, then definitely yes.

Worse case scenario you sell it after a driving season.