Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Trade PTS 991.2 GT3 for Speedster (non-PTS) at list?
YES
54.84%
NO
45.16%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pass on a Speedster at list?

Old 05-26-2019, 04:49 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
No one can answer this for you, but the answer lies somewhere in your "heart".. meaning

-do the design and proportions move you?
-does the fact that engine noise is heavily muted bother you?
-are you going to drive it with abandon, or think of it as an "investment" (just writing that makes me throw up a bit in the back of my mouth)

Or better put.. does it give you a chubby?

Y: buy it
N: **** it
the concept was definitely sexy and i love the dual humps...but it looks a bit more muted in pics now and expected more color options. I also haven't seen the car in the flesh so I really can't say it moves me.

The muting of the noise bugs me a bit, but i find it hard to believe that its so muted...i mean its an open top car, how muted can it get?

I am not a high-mileage driver, but the car will get driven and not sit wrapped up in a garage bubble. It isn't an investment, but i don't think i love it enough to get hosed on it, like buying a turbo s off the lot at full bore.

i should've dragged my *** to the autoshow to see if got a chub. now stuck with potential blue *****
Old 05-26-2019, 04:53 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
PTS is in Montoya's charts as the highest volume color, that is, there are more PTS than any other color.

Porsche is getting $mart, Speedster pricing shows the factory is pushing profits.
Originally Posted by Porsch
Agree with you. We knew Porsche was getting smart when they raised the PTS price from $5500 to $13K and kept the window open for way longer than usual. Come one, come all...just don't forget your wallets! Speedster is just the next step in Operation Cash Cow. Somewhere z356 must be having a good chuckle.
Originally Posted by rickman_fr
they are plenty of PTS GT3 and more no PTS and 992 GT3 is coming soon.

Speedster is unique and will remain even if Porsche sells a 992 GT3 cab.
Originally Posted by Porsch
Agree with this. I've had some PTS GT cars and it's always nice to get your favorite color. But Porsche did a ton of PTS for the 991.2 GT3 and it's really not exclusive or special anymore. Heck it didn't take long before we were seeing PTS GT3s under sticker this time around.

I now realize how "common" PTS has become - so i shouldn't really worry about getting a 992 GT3 in my color down the road...but for clarity, i don't think I love my PTS car because of the rarity of my color...more that I got the color I wanted...

But i do wonder: if porsche is abusing PTS and money-grabbing, why won't they just give us PTS on the speedster too? I know some people can get it, but my dealer has said no chance for me on this car.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:00 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
I’d rather have my PTS GT3 Touring and a 981 Spyder than a new Speedster. Two great cars for less than the price of one.
Lapis has advised be before, you must still be influencing me subliminally.

I have posted here and still debate that the #1 value car for me over the last few years is the 981 speedster. If it is the motor most think it will be a 6 cylinder with a manual, the perfect compliment to a GT2 or GT3RS, or GT3.

GT2 RS / 3 RS/ GT3 for ultimate track weapon, lots of aero, winged, turbo for more HP/more torque, PDK for quick gear changes, lots of carbon for weight, roof for rigidity, carbon buckets, etc, etc.

The 981 Spyder NA motor and stick for driver engagement, aero doesn't matter, no roof for ultimate canyon diving fun, sofas are bolstered enough for me and spouse is happy with them.

For me and it maybe others, this is a very good solution if your budget doesnt allow you to buy multiple GT and Speedster like cars.

I have no idea what base MSRP will be for the 981 Spyder, but say, maybe 119k? vs. 275K, the 150K+ difference is significant.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:27 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by niqui7ladoo
I now realize how "common" PTS has become - so i shouldn't really worry about getting a 992 GT3 in my color down the road...but for clarity, i don't think I love my PTS car because of the rarity of my color...more that I got the color I wanted...

But i do wonder: if porsche is abusing PTS and money-grabbing, why won't they just give us PTS on the speedster too? I know some people can get it, but my dealer has said no chance for me on this car.
A lot of it has to do with production decisions and processes that we're just not privy to knowing. GT3 and GT2 RS? Tons of PTS. GT3 RS? No PTS. Carrera and Carrera S? Anyone can have PTS. Carrera T? No PTS. It's useless to try to make rhyme or reason of this stuff. Especially with Porsche's PTS "program", which has to be one of the most poorly run and disorganized custom paint programs in luxury sports car history -- this has been documented in many threads here on RL. And we haven't even touched upon the horrible paint jobs on a lot of these PTS cars -- also well documented here.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:03 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
PTS is in Montoya's charts as the highest volume color, that is, there are more PTS than any other color.

Porsche is getting $mart, Speedster pricing shows the factory is pushing profits.
Agree with this but when you look at the detail of how many in each specific color it is much lower than most standard colors. How many Ruby star or other colors will you really see. So Porsche is making us pay for exclusivity. Fact that they didn’t offer PTS on the 3RS will make everyone want it even more next time around for the 992 versions.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 PM
aras314
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the exact same place you are.

But I’ve chosen the Speedster and give the GT3 in exchange. A lot of them have been built they are not that exclusive even if they are amazing cars.
I went to NYC auto show to see it in the flesh and it is Special car. The proportion are right on.
I’m taking the Euro delivery to drive the **** out of it and ring that 4L to 9000 RPM as often as I can as I did with the GT3.

I’m going to scratch that itch for a while. And jump on the next GT3 when it come along.

At MSRP You won’t loose money on this one even if it is pricy.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

PTS or not I’d rather have a .2GT3 RS anyday!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:13 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
PTS or not I’d rather have a .2GT3 RS anyday!
+1
Old 05-28-2019, 12:13 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by aras314
At MSRP You won’t loose money on this one even if it is pricy.
I'm not even remotely convinced. The car has been out all of 20 minutes and people are already second guessing whether to order. Another few months and this thing is just yesterday's news. Cool car, would love to walk around one, zero interest in owning one at any price. I'd bet I'm not alone.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Every car that I've ordered that wasn't 100% spec'd the way I wanted I've regretted ordering. I feel that way about my 991.2 3RS after still getting it when they cancelled PTS. Every time I look at it I think of the car I wanted - doesn't help that it's parked next to my PTS 2RS, but I've made this mistake multiple times now.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm with Moody. If you have to think about it and the money is not an issue, why get it? Unless you immediately flip it you won't make money. And, an impractical vert in Canada?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
I'm not even remotely convinced. The car has been out all of 20 minutes and people are already second guessing whether to order. Another few months and this thing is just yesterday's news. Cool car, would love to walk around one, zero interest in owning one at any price. I'd bet I'm not alone.
Not alone

i d rather go for a 458 spyder if wind and engine sound were my promary objectives
Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Fugly.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:47 AM
aras314
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I'm with Moody. If you have to think about it and the money is not an issue, why get it? Unless you immediately flip it you won't make money. And, an impractical vert in Canada?
Hey True !
Us Canadian we wouldn’t be able to hook a snow plow to the dam car let alone no roof to slam that moose on.
A very very bad choice.

I say. Buy it Drive it

Keep it or sell it and repeat with the latest and the greatest.

All I know I’ve seen the car. It’s stunning and I want to drive it.

And I’m not into Ferrari’
Old 05-28-2019, 11:53 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

If the car wasn't potentially worth money over, and people didnt like it as much as most seem to (as in definitely isn't a buy it no matter what style)...people would just be letting it go. Sounds like thats the case here. If you want to tie up 300k and take the chance for a big profit, go for it, but I've found that's a lot of trouble unless you can guarantee one of the first to hit the market. Im betting almost 50 percent of these hit the market immediately. I didn't even request one when I thought it was rarer, and I'm not remotely looking for one now. Decided to go build an Emory 356 instead to compliment the Singer... /

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you pass on a Speedster at list?