Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Trade PTS 991.2 GT3 for Speedster (non-PTS) at list?
YES
54.84%
NO
45.16%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pass on a Speedster at list?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Another value thread?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:19 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes buy it. If you don’t like it can just sell it back to dealer and worst case take a loss of couple points. People saying it’s just a gt3 without a roof well ya that’s what it’s suppose to be. Your not buying a carrera gt. Driving with roof off will be completely different experience. Still have a spyder in garage and driving roof up or down is like night and day. Personally can’t wait for speedster and who knows when the next one will be out.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:36 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want fun and cost effective keep current car and just get one of these. Bought for my wife in 2005. Lots of fun and no value drama
Old 05-25-2019, 01:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

If it is an itch you must scratch then scratch it and you can always trade back later for a 992 GT3
Old 05-25-2019, 01:51 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear 3/4 and aft views don't seem endearing to me. I haven't seen one in the flesh but for that price they could have made that chunky bit pretty

Originally Posted by Jzips
Another value thread?
At what cost!
Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AmneZia
If you are a cabriolet guy you buy it
^^^ This, to me, is what it boils down to. Are you a ragtop guy?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if u have to THINK then you don't love it enough., why spend the money?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

I would pass only if it was dipped in honey with a frosting of wasps.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
That's a lot of truth packed into one post again.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:28 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

don’t care about PTS but I’d rather have a GT3
Old 05-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I’d rather have my PTS GT3 Touring and a 981 Spyder than a new Speedster. Two great cars for less than the price of one.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:34 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Ditto for me with my PTS GT3T and 991.1 GTS cab. The naturally aspirated GTS sounds glorious with the top down. And it has 4 seats. And the top will go up and down on its own, without me getting out the car and doing it myself. A stripper Speedster with no ADM (if such a thing exists) in So Cal, after taxes, fees, etc will be $300k or more. The Speedster ADM at my So Cal dealership is $150k (plus a 9% sales tax). All of the sudden, the Speedster is a $500k proposition. I envy those with a Speedster allocation with no ADM, in a state with a more favorable sales tax. Of course, So Cal is the perfect a place for a Speedster, what with the year-round warmth and sunshine. But $500k for a convertible GT3 is a big chunk of change.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:41 PM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Another value thread?
I guess in a sense it is - Though, I am not asking if the car is worth it's price tag. I have my own view of that. I AM asking if the car is actually that special and substantially more than a top-less GT3?

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
The rear 3/4 and aft views don't seem endearing to me. I haven't seen one in the flesh but for that price they could have made that chunky bit pretty
So, I haven't seen the physical car, which is making this harder. I agree that the rear quarters look chunky in some pics, but I feel as though that is largely fixed with paint selection - for example, metallic hues seem to help a lot.

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
^^^ This, to me, is what it boils down to. Are you a ragtop guy?
I have never owned a cab or vert, so honestly do not know. I have long held that rag tops kill the lines of great coupes, but I think the targa is a bit of an exception and the speedster humps do make it look more special than a cab 911, but who knows when you put them side by side. I personally do love having a sunroof and always have my windows open - but I don't know if that means I am a convertible guy. The one saving grace for me, is that this is a bit of special occasion car (like my GT3 presently is) - it doesn't get driven daily and is only a warm-weather car ...so a vert doesn't "bug" me at least.

Originally Posted by mooty
Originally Posted by CAlexio
That's a lot of truth packed into one post again.
I do not disagree with you both in the least. And that was my initial gut when I got the call confirming my allocation and giving me pricing. I was like I don't know if i love it enough for that much coin on top of my current car...especially considering all the reading I was doing suggesting its nothing more than an overpriced, overproduced, GT3 without a roof. But I never saw the car in the flesh and lately have been wondering if it is far more special than a topless version of my car. I also do regret passing on certain things in recent times and watched them become truly stupid to pay for thereafter...so I started this thread wondering if I am being stupid and making the same mistakes - if it truly is a no-brainer and largely a risk-free purchase - or if my gut was right, and I am just being a sheep falling for the marketing hype and FOMO.

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Ditto for me with my PTS GT3T and 991.1 GTS cab. The naturally aspirated GTS sounds glorious with the top down. And it has 4 seats. And the top will go up and down on its own, without me getting out the car and doing it myself. A stripper Speedster with no ADM (if such a thing exists) in So Cal, after taxes, fees, etc will be $300k or more. The Speedster ADM at my So Cal dealership is $150k (plus a 9% sales tax). All of the sudden, the Speedster is a $500k proposition. I envy those with a Speedster allocation with no ADM, in a state with a more favorable sales tax. Of course, So Cal is the perfect a place for a Speedster, what with the year-round warmth and sunshine. But $500k for a convertible GT3 is a big chunk of change.
I thought about it similarly when I got my slot confirmed. For that much cash on top, you can add a very nice vert...but for my purposes with this car, I only need one. Do not want two non-daily 911s. All these comments about US ADM, also fuel me in wondering if its daft to pass at true sticker price - but I think thats a function of how crazy a luxury goods market we are in ... so do not know how much weight i want to give that. I would be a hard pass at ADM on this car. Also, if i lived in a climate like yours, i would have a really hard time not having a lovely convertible...canada offers far less vert-weather.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:21 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
Agree with this. I've had some PTS GT cars and it's always nice to get your favorite color. But Porsche did a ton of PTS for the 991.2 GT3 and it's really not exclusive or special anymore. Heck it didn't take long before we were seeing PTS GT3s under sticker this time around.
PTS is in Montoya's charts as the highest volume color, that is, there are more PTS than any other color.

Porsche is getting $mart, Speedster pricing shows the factory is pushing profits.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
PTS is in Montoya's charts as the highest volume color, that is, there are more PTS than any other color.

Porsche is getting $mart, Speedster pricing shows the factory is pushing profits.
Agree with you. We knew Porsche was getting smart when they raised the PTS price from $5500 to $13K and kept the window open for way longer than usual. Come one, come all...just don't forget your wallets! Speedster is just the next step in Operation Cash Cow. Somewhere z356 must be having a good chuckle.

Quick Reply: Would you pass on a Speedster at list?