Sponsored by:

Speedster or GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:01 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
I second that. On equal footing I believe the 918 Spyder is a better overall deal than the LaFerrari and Mclaren P1. Even though it was a million dollar car at the time of its release, the privilege alone that gives the owner any car S/He wants off the production allocation model is a definite plus which is a "steal" by itself. No disrespect to CGT which is another magnificent car, the maintenance on the 918 is substantially lower in cost then a CGT. Even if the battery needs to be replaced, it is about $40K. $40K on an engine pull out on a CGT is average if you need to replace internal components such as the carbon clutch. At any rate, CGT is up there when it comes to collectibles.
A very good friend has both a 918 and a CGT, he loves his CGT and is at best indifferent about his 918.

After driving a CGT yesterday for the first time I can understand why ... the 918 is just another really fast car with a relatively muted driving experience, the CGT is an epic experience, heck it requires attention just getting out of first. The best way I can describe it is the dynamics feel like a street legal cup with a much better engine than a cup car.

He also has a 2RS ... I'll ask him but my guess would be that he likes driving it a lot more than his 918 as well.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:31 PM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
A very good friend has both a 918 and a CGT, he loves his CGT and is at best indifferent about his 918.

After driving a CGT yesterday for the first time I can understand why ... the 918 is just another really fast car with a relatively muted driving experience, the CGT is an epic experience, heck it requires attention just getting out of first. The best way I can describe it is the dynamics feel like a street legal cup with a much better engine than a cup car.

He also has a 2RS ... I'll ask him but my guess would be that he likes driving it a lot more than his 918 as well.
Wow , a CGT , 918 and 2RS !! I look forward to his take on the 2RS ! I know i love mine .
Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I would argue that the steal of the century is the 918 Spyder
if you’re an investor or flipper, sure. but if you’re a driver? i’ll take the 6MT GT3 screaming at 9000rpm for under 200K. no brainer.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:56 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Your friend is a rare breed then. If I am not mistaken unotaz has all three (e.g, CGT, 918, 991 GT2RS, among many others). I've been a passenger on a CGT a few times and only drove the CGT three times. The recent one I'm trying to acquire from a collector. CGT Naturally Aspirated V-10 versus Hybrid Naturally Aspirated V-8, may be close to compare as the V-8 on the 918 is the lightest V-8 Porsche has ever made. On the contrary it really is hard to compare the two as you cannot mute the battery on the 918 once you put it on "Race Mode." When you whip the 918, with the exhaust directly behind your head, it certainly is "Classical, Mechanical Music" to my ears. Likewise the CGT would feel the same. One thing for sure the CGT have that the 918 doesn't is the "Rawness" (stick shift and RWD) of the car when the "inner soul" is let loose.

You can run the 918 on pure battery without the mechanical, but not the other way around. I wish it had that feature but it doesn't.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by soulsea

Old 05-26-2019, 08:55 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Yes, I have all three and a few others. Without turning this thread off course, the 918 and the CGT are both keepers in my stable. Lots of differences and similarities between the two. You need to have both if you are a diehard Porsche fan.

Your friend is a rare breed then. If I am not mistaken unotaz has all three (e.g, CGT, 918, 991 GT2RS, among many others). I've been a passenger on a CGT a few times and only drove the CGT three times. The recent one I'm trying to acquire from a collector. CGT Naturally Aspirated V-10 versus Hybrid Naturally Aspirated V-8, may be close to compare as the V-8 on the 918 is the lightest V-8 Porsche has ever made. On the contrary it really is hard to compare the two as you cannot mute the battery on the 918 once you put it on "Race Mode." When you whip the 918, with the exhaust directly behind your head, it certainly is "Classical, Mechanical Music" to my ears. Likewise the CGT would feel the same. One thing for sure the CGT have that the 918 doesn't is the "Rawness" (stick shift and RWD) of the car when the "inner soul" is let loose.

You can run the 918 on pure battery without the mechanical, but not the other way around. I wish it had that feature but it doesn't.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Ah I see your logic. In your world, cars are mutually exclusive (eg. either or). In my world, I need to have more than one car.

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
if you’re an investor or flipper, sure. but if you’re a driver? i’ll take the 6MT GT3 screaming at 9000rpm for under 200K. no brainer.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Yes, I have all three and a few others. Without turning this thread off course, the 918 and the CGT are both keepers in my stable. Lots of differences and similarities between the two. You need to have both if you are a diehard Porsche fan.
But if you could only have one (918 or CGT), which one do you pick?
Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Actually you can. Run the car is E-mode it's all electric. Run the car in Hybrid or Race mode it's a combination of electric and engine. Ru the car in Sports mode it's all gas engine.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I feel the battery kicking in when stomping on the gas pedal. Likewise when on "E" mode, stomp on the gas and it spring into action the V-8. I'll pay more attention to it, or simply drive at ease.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Actually you can. Run the car is E-mode it's all electric. Run the car in Hybrid or Race mode it's a combination of electric and engine. Ru the car in Sports mode it's all gas engine.

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 05-27-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-27-2019, 03:36 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I second that. On equal footing I believe the 918 Spyder is a better overall deal than the LaFerrari and Mclaren P1. Even though it was a million dollar car at the time of its release, the privilege alone that gives the owner any car S/He wants off the production allocation model is a definite plus which is a "steal" by itself. No disrespect to CGT which is another magnificent car, the maintenance on the 918 is substantially lower in cost then a CGT. Even if the battery needs to be replaced, it is about $40K. $40K on an engine pull out on a CGT is average if you need to replace internal components such as the carbon clutch. At any rate, CGT is up there when it comes to collectibles.

Back to regular programming. The Speedster and the GT2RS are two very differing cars. Both at good at its own traits and features. The GT2RS holds history currently for holding the Nurburgring record for a production model. How many cars overall can stake a claim as such. It is mild enough to drive around, and and hunk of a beast if you let loose its inner soul.I have not had a convertible in a long time and looking forward how it once feels again, which is open top driving is simply relaxing.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Just a point on the holy trinity... 918 doesn't hold a candle to P1 & LaF.. if you could purchase all three at MSRP, there is not a chance in hell you'd pick the 918 vs the LaF.. its closer between P1 & 918 but still, 918 is a very remote feeling car and doesn't give nearly the same driving experience as the other two.. it's been said many times I know, but 918 is like a videogame set to "easy" mode. P1 is Alive with the classic superior mclaren steering feel and while it can feel a bit raw (in an unfinished product sort of way), it's an event every time you drive. The LaF, that thing is just sublime... next level, best sound, dynamically balanced, you don't feel the (significantly lighter) weight, perfectly finished. Dynamically Superior, best brakes.. not a contest. the only advantage 918 has is if you had bought all three hypercars, is that it opened up the owner to the world of MSRP Porsches for 10 years, but aside from the 918 VIP program.. mmmm, I'm not sure sure the 918 would be the top one at all.

On the point of CGT maintenance costs vs 918... 918 is on a magnitude higher than CGT.. check the recall bills for the SEVEN recalls the 918 has had before warranty ran out.. the out of warranty expense of owning that hybrid technical tour de force is going to a world away from CGT which is relatively simple to work on in that context. Not sure where you got $40k to replace battery, add a zero and you're not too far off, again, just the current recalls with engine out where next level. CGT remains the "son of F1" on the desirability and "keepability" scale.. it's truly the last analog supercar and while there will be other faster hybrid/electric/1000hp+ machines for years, nothing but nothing will surpass the CGT for driving pleasure.

I'm still trying to find time to make the CGT vs 918 video we shot on the Dragon during Smokies, I want to get the editing just right as it's such a rare direct comparo with both cars being driven at 8/10ths+, that it has to be gotten right.

But, back on track with this thread.. hypercars are such a different world from "normal" supercars stuff like gt2rs & speedster, not sure how they even fit in this thread convo.

Last edited by CAlexio; 05-27-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't agree with that - depends what you want (and I did put my money where my mouth is...). The 918 is a brilliant cross country GT car, and much more all-round useable than the others. Maybe the best Gt car yet made, and level of engineering excellence is much higher than the other two of the 'trinity', IMO.

CGT is a special car, and much more exciting and, but again is less useable than a 918.
They are all very different, but even now the 918 is the only one i'd consider buying (again) of the 3 most recent, albeit a CGT would be first in line.

Agree it is going to be very expensive to maintain out of warranty, and 2 major fixes, on Porsche's tab, were a big part of why I sold it.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

I would beg to differ. I do not own the P1 nor the LaF. I have no doubt they are great cars in their respective ways. I was out of luck getting the P1 and had access to the 918 and so here it is. LaF is not a true Hybrid. The battery is there to support the engine not to run car on its power DC (Direct Current). P1 is a true Hybrid but the 918 runs longer on DC than the P1. Again I do not discredit the P1 and LaF. If I had the opportunity, I'd buy all three but no such luck.

With regard to recalls, most of which were suspension related. One item was recalled twice. I have no regrets acquiring the 918. Some have said the CGT is not a daily driver as it is an impractical car to drive due to carbon fiber components that is expensive to replace or repair in case of damage due to road hazards and conditions. Same thing with the 918, longer and wider than a 911. I only use it on open highways mostly after watching a late night show to avoid traffic and lesser cars. It is not a practical car for sure but it was a game changer with the technology and engineering put in this car. Who would have thought we can transition that early in 21th century to have Hybrid cars perform better than the Super Cars.

Buying these cars of course is subjective to ones taste and budget. I am happy with mine and will remain as part of my collection. As the car industry evolves, cars will get better. Just look at the new 991 GT2RS with Manthey Racing. It is sixteen seconds faster than the 918. Owning the 918 at the time of release was phenomenal. It will stand its place in history.

When I speak of maintenance, regular scheduled maintenance for fluid changes and all else stated on the manual. CGT you need an engine pull out to inspect the clutch at some point in time. 918 does not require an engine pull out unless you have major issues. The $40K is an estimate just for battery you will need to add labor which will be way more than the cost of the battery. Given the chance and if things work out, I may be able to get this magnificent CGT in mint condition and pristinely kept and well maintained.

How this subject even came into discussion was because to me it was a "steal" due to the fact that owners were given direct access to any production model car, and that was it.

What is important is I bought it, like it, and happy with it.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Just a point on the holy trinity... 918 doesn't hold a candle to P1 & LaF.. if you could purchase all three at MSRP, there is not a chance in hell you'd pick the 918 vs the LaF.. its closer between P1 & 918 but still, 918 is a very remote feeling car and doesn't give nearly the same driving experience as the other two.. it's been said many times I know, but 918 is like a videogame set to "easy" mode. P1 is Alive with the classic superior mclaren steering feel and while it can feel a bit raw (in an unfinished product sort of way), it's an event every time you drive. The LaF, that thing is just sublime... next level, best sound, dynamically balanced, you don't feel the (significantly lighter) weight, perfectly finished. Dynamically Superior, best brakes.. not a contest. the only advantage 918 has is if you had bought all three hypercars, is that it opened up the owner to the world of MSRP Porsches for 10 years, but aside from the 918 VIP program.. mmmm, I'm not sure sure the 918 would be the top one at all.

On the point of CGT maintenance costs vs 918... 918 is on a magnitude higher than CGT.. check the recall bills for the SEVEN recalls the 918 has had before warranty ran out.. the out of warranty expense of owning that hybrid technical tour de force is going to a world away from CGT which is relatively simple to work on in that context. Not sure where you got $40k to replace battery, add a zero and you're not too far off, again, just the current recalls with engine out where next level. CGT remains the "son of F1" on the desirability and "keepability" scale.. it's truly the last analog supercar and while there will be other faster hybrid/electric/1000hp+ machines for years, nothing but nothing will surpass the CGT for driving pleasure.

I'm still trying to find time to make the CGT vs 918 video we shot on the Dragon during Smokies, I want to get the editing just right as it's such a rare direct comparo with both cars being driven at 8/10ths+, that it has to be gotten right.

But, back on track with this thread.. hypercars are such a different world from "normal" supercars stuff like gt2rs & speedster, not sure how they even fit in this thread convo.

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 05-27-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: correction spelling
Old 05-27-2019, 09:40 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I drove a 918 at Barber. Felt disconnected and also big and heavy. More GT than sports car. My least favorite Porsche. I had a 458 at the time and it was much more fun to drive. I think a 2RS is more fun than either. YMMV.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Best answer to the ORIGINAL question

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I never respond to these types of questions because the only answer which counts is in the OP's heart, and he/she already knows the answer.

But, then I gave in because this is fun and I have an opinion which is worth maybe 0.5cents.

Gt2RS is REALLY fun, but only for a little bit.. then it just becomes a stupidly fast car which you have to drive slowly everywhere except for the track.. but it's pretty valuable so you won't really track it.. so then it just becomes an OOH-AAAH car for others which is THE WORST.

The speedster, will be the car you want to put your wife/girlfriend/mistress' daughter/best friend in on a sunny day, take the top down, and enjoy at every speed from 0mph to whatever that screaming 9000rpm engine will give you..

There is not even a question in my mind, that the speedster will give you greater enjoyment for the money.

Also, you think Mooty is kidding but he's not.. the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was inspired by his life story.

Also also... both of these cars are overpriced va the competition... at $300k I'm in a 720s Spyder.
I saw that movie!
Was Mooty played by Michael Caine or Steve Martin, the Ruprecht part?
Old 05-27-2019, 05:28 PM
unotaz
Drifting

If it comes down to it, I would keep the 918 because you can actually drive it around. In my opinion, the 918 is one of the best overall supercar. CGT excels in certain areas, but overall, I rate the 918 higher than the CGT. This is not some car journalist or Youtubers doing a 15mins video review. This is after years of ownership of both cars.

The CGT is a special occasion car, meaning unless you don't give a crap about your car, you would literally scrape and bottom out everywhere. You need to plan where you go with the CGT, including which specific gas stations, which plazas you could park at, and which canyons you can drive on.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
But if you could only have one (918 or CGT), which one do you pick?

Quick Reply: Speedster or GT2RS