Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good of a driver can you become in a 1 week course?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 10:59 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

i have never had professional lessons in a car, but raced AMA, WERA CCS, and help teach many classes on how to become a consistent road racer. I was a nobody, but have been on ESPN causing traffic.lol Its hard to play catch up. A lot of the skills are learned at an early age. Young drivers grow into their skills. Many, learning to drive on the race track , before on the road. There are preprogrammed processes from all the years of cautious driving that have to be unwound. Its going to be hard to get a very high skill level without unlearning your bad habits. a lot of those habits are good habits on the road. No one slams their brake pedal to the floor, then tosses a car into a turn on a daily basis. Not a natural thing to learn. I plan on getting in touch with some of my ex road race guys, who now are older, and playing with the track car scene. Spend some quality time, reprogramming my brain and focusing on being slow. yes, slow!

I was never a ballet dancer on the cycle. more of an iron man approach. trying to muscle the bike, instead of allowing the bike to do the work. I wanted the bike to work for me! took many years to slow down, and learn the limits of the bike, to allow myself to use the bikes benefits to become faster and smoother. I see these thread about faster lap times, but never see threads about smoother lines, better control, feeling more connected to the car. My fastest laps always felt like my slowest laps. I spend years crashing my brains out trying to go fast, until I learned to be smooth. In a perfect world, you would put the car in 4th gear and go. no upshifts, no down shifts, no 190mph back straights, just holding speed, hitting perfect laps. These cars are all amazing, really allowing for big time driving errors. Its amazing there are not more accidents at DE events, especially with extreme differences in speed between cars and driver skills.

Quick Reply: How good of a driver can you become in a 1 week course?