Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Warranty and extensive exhaust/intake mods (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1144226-warranty-and-extensive-exhaust-intake-mods.html)

Drifting 05-22-2019 03:28 AM

Warranty and extensive exhaust/intake mods

I’m seriously considering doing the full Dundon package, street exhaust system, 200 cel cats, headers combined with side delete mufflers, and their upcoming new .2 GT3 air intake system, and air filters etc. No engine tuning.

Saves around 35lbs, and gains 25 HP, basically RS power.

The one one thing holding me back is engine warranty considerations. I know most dealers are ok with a center muffler delete, but this is a fairly extensive change to car including cats, headers, several changes to air intake components. I’m worried about being on the hook for an engine if something goes out on the track.
I’d like less weight and more power, but not enough to write a five figure check if I get a warranty denial.

Thoughts?

dxbtousa 05-22-2019 04:34 AM

What I dont understand is why its up to individual dealers - do they not submit warranty claims back to Porsche HQ (USA, europe, etc)

For example, I am based out of UAE (Dubai) and here our dealers are over zealous on everything - So much as thinking about exhaust may void the warranty. In the USA though Porsche dealers themselves are installing exhausts for Customers... Why the major discrepancy.. I guess I don't understand the system enough :to_order:

obbob 05-22-2019 05:21 AM

It's generally up to the dealer. Luckily, Porsche tend to culturally be easy going with warranty claims. I'd say you are 99.9% safe with any muffler delete. With headers/cats, you should be safe, but there is a slightly higher risk of a service manager being difficult. I still think the chance is very small.

Dougr743 05-22-2019 08:05 AM

As more turbo cars become the standard, more tunes,more hp mods are more the norm. So my dealer is cool with exhaust and tune, as long as they know, and do it. I think the turbo car market is the danger zone. An exhaust and tune can bump you 100hp. Thats a lot different than a CEL flash and non cat headers.

GrantG 05-22-2019 10:39 AM

In the US, they have to show that the mod caused the failure that they refuse to warranty. But. It’s still a huge bill if you get stuck with paying for a new engine (over $60k), so I’d be cautious about any change that doesn’t just come downwind of stock headers and cats.

After warranty, then game on ;)

shapiroeric 05-22-2019 10:44 AM

I have full headers and exhaust....Fabspeed....car was CPO'd with it.....and my local dealer even fixed a broken exhaust bracket under warranty.....I think most dealers are pretty exhaust mod friendly....

GrantG 05-22-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by shapiroeric (Post 15857719)
I have full headers and exhaust....Fabspeed....car was CPO'd with it.....and my local dealer even fixed a broken exhaust bracket under warranty.....I think most dealers are pretty exhaust mod friendly....

I imagine that they wouldn’t have been as understanding if you had chosen catless headers?

After warranty these have some appeal to me, as it lets you run better motor oil (that otherwise harms cats while protecting the motor better) like Motul 300V

tgibrit 05-22-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 15857702)
In the US, they have to show that the mod caused the failure that they refuse to warranty. But. It’s still a huge bill if you get stuck with paying for a new engine (over $60k), so I’d be cautious about any change that doesn’t just come downwind of stock headers and cats.

After warranty, then game on ;)

I believe all mods observed by the dealer are usually noted in the service log maintained by Porsche. the dealer may say its ok, but the cost of any repair is paid by Porsche and if you materially change the power being generated by the engine then you are talking it beyond its design parameters used in their warranty risk analysis.

Dougr743 05-22-2019 04:46 PM

my dealer is installing Catless headers as i type this. plus a tune, no issues. they even stated they cover warranty and it is not a modification to the motor. I also live in a non emission state. They do cobb tunes and full exhaust on 911's all the time. Any exhaust can change the power output of the car, but normally aspirated engines are not their concern, its the turbo cars they are more concerned about. They did state, no engine modification, I.e heads cams etc etc.

if emissions was not the issue, there would be no cat exhaust systems.

C5driver 05-22-2019 05:33 PM

My dealer is very mod friendly and something as simple as a CMB or full exhaust/headers isn't an issue. I'd recommend giving them a call.

Dougr743 05-22-2019 05:40 PM

I think we have made it more than it is. If my dealer says, sure we can do that, then I go on an expedition to "make sure" then they say, we do this all the time, no worries. I think we worry because we have the 200k on the line. They will also CPO with full race exhaust. just cant be a modification to the motor, and if an emission state, must have cats replaced. So worst case, I put the catted headers back on and reset the tune.

Drifting 05-22-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by C5driver (Post 15858710)
My dealer is very mod friendly and something as simple as a CMB or full exhaust/headers isn't an issue. I'd recommend giving them a call.

Im still fairly new to LA and have yet to see a dealer for service. I was thinking of having a mod friendly dealer do the install, (who I would also turn to for any warranty issues) but I’m not sure which dealers to approach? I live on the west side, Marina del Rey.

HEAT'N'COOL 05-22-2019 07:33 PM

Unless they can prove that the intake caused the engine failure or the exhaust, they have no case. Just may be more work on fighting them if your dealer is a Jack.... I have the exhaust you want on my ,2rs and Love it! Would do it in a heart beat, spoke to my dealer and they are all good!

mdrums 05-22-2019 09:09 PM

The cars warranty is NOT WITH THE PORSCHE DEALER!!!! The cars warranty is with PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA. If you have money to replace a PDK transmission or GT3 engine and its pocket change to you then you probably don't care. If you need the cars warranty I highly suggest you call PCNA in Atlanta GA and talk to them about warranty and doing modifications to the car. I have called in the past and had a discussion.

I had a 2009 Carrera S that the dealer installed Tubi cat back exhaust on...basically eliminating 2 side mufflers and keeping the stock center muffler. The dealer did this when the car was on the showroom floor and sold the car new with this exhaust. Almost a yea later the drivers side cat developed a exhaust leak at the cat to headers weld. New header with install was around $2500!!! PCNA did not want to cover it saying the aftermarket exhaust caused the weld to crack and exhaust leak. They wrote up many reasons why this could and did happen. I was pissing mad...got the Porsche zone rep involved and still PCNA will not cover. Ultimately the dealer bought the header and I paid labor.

I did side muffler delete on my gt3 if my rear center muffler fails i do not except Porsche to replace it under warranty nor if a exhaust weld fails that is also on me.

Dougr743 05-22-2019 09:42 PM

I could see that, I had a 997.1 s and the entire motor exploded. The exhaust was not a problem, complete motor replacement. all the .1 gt3 cars, with motor failures, did not have stock exhaust, some may have, but many have not. so i think it is both related to failure and reason. i can see if my center muffler failed, the dealer/ porsche would not cover it. but it my motor has a main bearing failure, its not the exhaust. there are reasonable claims and balance with this