Sponsored by:

New fast Goodyear’s for RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA
No surprise. I owned a ZL1 1LE and the 3R tire it had was amazing, and I thought they were better than the Cup 2.
I 2nd and 3rd that.All for $1400 a set.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
I wouldn't drive on R888R's. I did run them at 35/38 hot when I tested them. Candidly I didn't see any change in the times running them higher.

I actually enjoyed driving on them because they are super forgiving and they FELT fast for that reason. However - if you're chasing PB times you will be disappointed in them.

If Goodyear makes their tire in RS 20/21 sizing and they really become available in the "R" compound that is similar to Trofeo R / Cup 2 / Dunlop I will certainly try them.

Like others have stated; I don't have an interest in the Cup2 R tire that is hero lap time $3600+ a set.

- Chris.
Chris, what hot pressures are you running on the Trofeo Rs? Pirelli says 32psi but I've seen others here mention 34 front and 36 rear on their various GT cars with Michelin and others, which seems high to me.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

There seems to a remarkable similarity between the “new” Goodyear R and the Dunlop Race2.
Since Goodyear is the parent company of Dunlop, could it possibly be the same tyre.....
Granted, the Goodyear RS is a step on, with less tread depth, narrower rain radial grooves and presumably softer compound.

But take a look....
Here is the Dunlop Race 2:

Here is the Goodyear R:

And here is the Goodyear RS:

Old 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
There seems to a remarkable similarity between the “new” Goodyear R and the Dunlop Race2.
Since Goodyear is the parent company of Dunlop, could it possibly be the same tyre.....
Granted, the Goodyear RS is a step on, with less tread depth, narrower rain radial grooves and presumably softer compound.

But take a look....
Here is the Dunlop Race 2:

Here is the Goodyear R:

And here is the Goodyear RS:
Wow good eye! The Maxx 2 looks identical to the Goodyear R!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,719 Likes on 2,690 Posts

Dunlop’s are expensive (more than Cup2) - maybe Goodyear will be same tire for less?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Skippy...good investigative eye! It’s the same dang tread! LOL...
Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Dunlop is owned in part by Goodyear. In the US and Europe (and a few APAC markets) Dunlop is operated by Goodyear.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:18 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

My guess - it’s the same tyre, but made in USA. So it should be cheaper for you guys Stateside.
I swapped to the Race 2 when it first came out and haven’t looked back. It is very fast, very durable and continues to bash out fastest stage times in our GT3 RS rally car. As previously said here, the Michelin R, Tropheo R and this new Goodyear R may well deliver a hero lap before dropping off after 2 laps, the Race 2 just keeps delivering great consistent times lap after lap.
The nature of the Dunlop Race 2 is that it will start to slide a little earlier then say the Michelin (which starts screeching at this point), the Dunlop is so predicable while on the move which helps you rotate the car. It’s truely an awesome tyre that is not getting the attention it deserves.

i get higher “g’s” on the Race 2 than I ever got out of others.

Here is some incar from a stage on our last Rally on the Dunlop Race 2.

(Stock RS except for KW Competition suspension, Akrapovic race exhaust and HRE wheels.)

We put these tyres through hell!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Skippy...that’s the best in car video I’ve seen in a long time! Wow!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:26 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Thanks Mike - I hope it shows how ridiculously competent the RS is over some very ordinary bitumen and how good these Dunlop’s are.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Tires for less sounds good!
Anyone have USA pricing yet?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

My guess - it’s the same tyre, but made in USA. So it should be cheaper for you guys Stateside.
I swapped to the Race 2 when it first came out and haven’t looked back. It is very fast, very durable and continues to bash out fastest stage times in our GT3 RS rally car. As previously said here, the Michelin R, Tropheo R and this new Goodyear R may well deliver a hero lap before dropping off after 2 laps, the Race 2 just keeps delivering great consistent times lap after lap.
The nature of the Dunlop Race 2 is that it will start to slide a little earlier then say the Michelin (which starts screeching at this point), the Dunlop is so predicable while on the move which helps you rotate the car. It’s truely an awesome tyre that is not getting the attention it deserves.

(Stock RS except for KW Competition suspension, Akrapovic race exhaust and HRE wheels.)
https://youtu.be/AzvhsY9k_fo

Impressive, what psi were you running?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Flagging this post as offensive to bubble wrappers....
Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Mike - I hope it shows how ridiculously competent the RS is over some very ordinary bitumen and how good these Dunlop’s are.
Sure does! Fantastic car and awesome driving....insane video! ;-)
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1 G acceleration? was that launch control start?
Best I've managed on the original sport maxx is 1.6 G lateral...ways to go yet...

Quick Reply: New fast Goodyear’s for RS