Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New fast Goodyear’s for RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:11 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 284 Posts

I personally would not use any Good Year tires .... I hate them ... ever since they washed out on me doing 45 thru a turn ( Good Year Eagles) Their tires are inconsistent and their mfg process, make origin and tire formulas can change without notice.

Nope Michelin's only for me on both my cars and motorcycles .... ain't broke don't fix it ....
Old 05-22-2019, 03:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
Porsche already documented "Not to use slicks" in the 991.1 GT3, some issues related to the Rear Axle Steering. The link to the official comm is buried somewhere here in RL.

Run slicks at your own risk.
Yes, I remember that warning too. But how can Porsche use the huge 325mm 21" Cup2 R on the back of the RS's without incurring the same issue. Must be a stronger RAS system in the newer cars...
Old 05-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I def wouldn't be launching the car on slicks. Diffs can give way easily if not strong enough
Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 103 Posts

Not sure he explained the drop off of two seconds on his second run. Did it have to do with the tire or he drove differently?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Very nice. Keep in mind that like the Cup R these are not slicks. These are street legal DOT rated tires, and while they are sticky compared to other road tires they are a whole different ballgame vs something like a Michelin Blue for Porsche Cup racing.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,136 Likes on 2,893 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Not sure he explained the drop off of two seconds on his second run. Did it have to do with the tire or he drove differently?
The implication was that the tire was falling off rapidly from the initial fast lap and then plateaued. But probably worth more than just the one good lap as he was driving on them for awhile before going for his helmet...
Old 05-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

Goodyear Super Sport R is already shown to be faster than new Cup2, so if the price can come in below or similar, then we will have a great track-day tire to compete with Trofeo-R, at a lower price point.

Honestly, the Goodyear RS and Cup2R don't interest me, they are simply 2 session hero tires for the manufacturers to post lap records for marketing purposes. Unless you just like to throw cash out the window, I don't see the point of these. I can buy Pirelli DH takeoffs for 1/5 the price.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM
JSA
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

No surprise. I owned a ZL1 1LE and the 3R tire it had was amazing, and I thought they were better than the Cup 2.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 980 Posts

Somebody buy that dude a proper pair of pants.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I embrace tire wars! We the consumer will benefit from this. Bring it on Goodyear...make the tire durable...no blow outs...wear good for the track and priced below Michelin and Dunlop by enough to say drivers to try your tires out and you will have a winner. I wish Nitto would up the selection and offer the 20" for GT3 and 20/21" for the RS cars...thats is a great priced and good performing track tire. Toyo R888R is making our sizes and they are the parent to Nitto however the older R888 (none R) were and still are awful in grip and durability from tread seem splitting and/or delimitation. To dangerous for track work.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I embrace tire wars! We the consumer will benefit from this. Bring it on Goodyear...make the tire durable...no blow outs...wear good for the track and priced below Michelin and Dunlop by enough to say drivers to try your tires out and you will have a winner. I wish Nitto would up the selection and offer the 20" for GT3 and 20/21" for the RS cars...thats is a great priced and good performing track tire. Toyo R888R is making our sizes and they are the parent to Nitto however the older R888 (none R) were and still are awful in grip and durability from tread seem splitting and/or delimitation. To dangerous for track work.
At my local track's longer 3.1 mile configuration, I tested a set of sticker Trofeo R's on OEM 20/21 sizes back to back on a set of sticker R888R's on 19" Forgelines. Both tires had been heat cycled prior to my runs. I was very hopeful on the newer R888R's.

Feedback - R888R's didn't offer a lot of communication but were very confident feeling. They had a broad traction range and allowed more slip angle than Trofeo R before losing grip entirely. Basically the tire was less edgy and more forgiving.

That said - I was consistently 3 seconds slower on the R888R than the Trofeo R, stsicker tire to sticker tire direct comparison same day same car.

Feedback - Trofeo R - surprising how long it took for them to get up to temperature and for the grip to really come in. It basically took me 2 laps to get them up to temp and grip level. They seemed more edgy than R888R and slightly more edgy than a Cup2 sticker. The one thing I did REALLY like about the Trofeo R (besides the fact that they are FAST) is that I was turning my fastest laps all the way to the end of my 30 minute session. Normally I find the Cup2's I have to closely manage temps and pressures. The Trofeo R seemed more resistant to heat and performed really consistently all the way through the sessions. I have not personally tested the Dunlop Sport Maxx 2 for RS fitment but plan to on my next set so I can compare to Trofeo R. Basically the tire reminds me a lot of a Pirelli DH in grip behavior and endurance against heat.

In Summary - R888R is really confident because it is super forgiving; but it is definitely slower. For that reason I would not continue to use them.

I intend to stick to Trofeo R's unless the dunlops really impress me.

- Chris.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hams thanks for the R888R and Trofeo feedback.

I drive to the track..Sebring is 2hrs and Honestead 4hrs but plan to drive to Barber and Rd Atl which are 8-9 hrs so street driving is important too.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
Hams thanks for the R888R and Trofeo feedback.

I drive to the track..Sebring is 2hrs and Honestead 4hrs but plan to drive to Barber and Rd Atl which are 8-9 hrs so street driving is important too.
I drive to the track as well and with a fairly aggressive alignment. To manage the heat of the tire I inflate the tire to hit 40-45psi hot while on my track commute. COTA is about 3 hours away from me and love to make the drive. Airing up the tires helps save the shoulder. I bring my portable compressor with my track gear.

Candidly one my favorite things about the Porsche car is that I don't need a trailer; I can drive to the track with my gear, track the hell out of my car, and drive home happy

- Chris.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Another issue w the R888Rs is that they seem to really hate low pressures. Tons of failures on those tires from running pressures too low, per manufacturer it seems to need 35-38 psi for a car w our cars' weight. I used to run them on the C4S and was running 35 cold square on the street.

The problem is GT3 susp/chassis overall is so stiff that the car needs some compliance in the tire as well I think, hence the OEM recommended cold tire pressures are something like 29F/33R. I don't think you can get away w that with the R888R, so inevitably you would end up running like 35 square for the street, which was jarring with the Carrera, it'd probably be unbearable in the GT3 if driving to track. I've seen quite a few 991s running R888Rs at the track but none was driving there - they were all being trailered.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by erko1905
Another issue w the R888Rs is that they seem to really hate low pressures. Tons of failures on those tires from running pressures too low, per manufacturer it seems to need 35-38 psi for a car w our cars' weight. I used to run them on the C4S and was running 35 cold square on the street.

The problem is GT3 susp/chassis overall is so stiff that the car needs some compliance in the tire as well I think, hence the OEM recommended cold tire pressures are something like 29F/33R. I don't think you can get away w that with the R888R, so inevitably you would end up running like 35 square for the street, which was jarring with the Carrera, it'd probably be unbearable in the GT3 if driving to track. I've seen quite a few 991s running R888Rs at the track but none was driving there - they were all being trailered.
I wouldn't drive on R888R's. I did run them at 35/38 hot when I tested them. Candidly I didn't see any change in the times running them higher.

I actually enjoyed driving on them because they are super forgiving and they FELT fast for that reason. However - if you're chasing PB times you will be disappointed in them.

If Goodyear makes their tire in RS 20/21 sizing and they really become available in the "R" compound that is similar to Trofeo R / Cup 2 / Dunlop I will certainly try them.

Like others have stated; I don't have an interest in the Cup2 R tire that is hero lap time $3600+ a set.

- Chris.

Quick Reply: New fast Goodyear’s for RS