Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 Latest Motor Updates

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 AM
dxbtousa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP: No judgment here at all (I swear) - are you tracking the car heavily/regularly?
Originally Posted by Izzone
One of my race shop techs went to work at Porsche

Over a few beverages he told me all 991.1 gt3 engines (including RS and R) have this problem and steer clear..and he knows his stuff

They cut the oil filter on every one that comes in, each one is a little worse each time

We used to coat the rod bearings in race motors with the same stuff. It lengthens the part life but it will eventually fail. Just a band aid

Porsche warranties the gt3 because they were forced to

Enjoy the car while under warranty..then punt it

I wouldn't own any 991.1 gt3 variant out of warranty..even RS or R

Local race shop had a guy buy a bubble wrapped .1rs a few months back..it Thru a rod at 900 miles on track. Porsche is being a ***** about warranty engine since it was not broke in to spec
Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I'm not trying to be a skeptic but 16 rs engine failures have been very very rare...
Didn't I read somewhere that the finger follower failure was more prone if you did not drive your car aggressively? Something to do with the rev range being used? ** Don't quote me for any specifics, but I thought I read that on the journal of events leading up to the warranty offered.

Funny enough, I've read alot and people say that the '16 RS havent reported similar failures..but If i tend to agree with Izzone...
Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Over a few beverages he told me all 991.1 gt3 engines (including RS and R) have this problem and steer clear..and he knows his stuff

They cut the oil filter on every one that comes in, each one is a little worse each time

We used to coat the rod bearings in race motors with the same stuff. It lengthens the part life but it will eventually fail. Just a band aid

Local race shop had a guy buy a bubble wrapped .1rs a few months back..it Thru a rod at 900 miles on track. Porsche is being a ***** about warranty engine since it was not broke in to spec
I am not surprised. No doubt there is a design flaw in these engines. Does it mean every car will have issues???- probably not but lets hope that with each iteration from 2014-16 that they got closer to minimizing this potential issue in the few that have/could exhibit.

But these days i do not know if I want to own any modern car out of warranty. - just getting to expensive to fix them.I f I really like a car and can get an extended 2 year deal at a fair price- than I would extend and enjoy a few more years before trading out.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,553 Likes on 858 Posts

RS failures are rare because that engine does not rev to 9000 rpm! big difference to what happens to an engine at 9000 vs 8500 rpm.

It looks like this 991 generation gt3 is going to go into history books as the most fragile gt car.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I'm not trying to be a skeptic but 16 rs engine failures have been very very rare...
How many actually get driven

On the .2 motor they

Changed valve train to solid lifters to fix FF issue

Bottom end cross drilled the crank to fix bottom end oiling

It's not if a .1 motor fail, it's when
Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How many actually get driven

On the .2 motor they

Changed valve train to solid lifters to fix FF issue

Bottom end cross drilled the crank to fix bottom end oiling

It's not if a .1 motor fail, it's when

I am curious at what RPM range is the FF getting the least amount of oil lubrication.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Trakcar or Kobalt tracked 991.1 RS a lot without engine issues to my knowledge so far.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by CALSE
I am curious at what RPM range is the FF getting the least amount of oil lubrication.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's at lower RPM's when the oil pressure is the least. Maybe when the cars are driven harder they survive better/longer because of higher pressure? (I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and neither am I an engineer, this is a complete guess...)
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbtousa
Didn't I read somewhere that the finger follower failure was more prone if you did not drive your car aggressively? Something to do with the rev range being used? ** Don't quote me for any specifics, but I thought I read that on the journal of events leading up to the warranty offered.

Funny enough, I've read alot and people say that the '16 RS havent reported similar failures..but If i tend to agree with Izzone...
Yes! If you track hard you have less of a chance than if you take short trips around your town. I drive my 14 to the gym, dinner and even grocery store. All are only a few miles. The wear happens more from cranking the motor up when it's cool.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:50 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

wow - this is such great data, thank you!
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

I don’t see how they can deny a warranty claim for the car not being broken in unless there’s a specific statement in the warranty requiring it
Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

1st: Recall 6/2015
2nd: Finger Follower CEL 6/2016
3rd: Finger Follower CEL 5/2019
4th: TBD
This actually makes sense. We didn't meet with PAG until August 2017, so the permanent fix wasn't in until after that, and there were engines in inventory to go through. So the 3rd engine you had replaced in June 2016 was prior to the new engine fixes. Now if the 4th engine goes, that could be a problem because it should have all the fixes in it.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
This actually makes sense. We didn't meet with PAG until August 2017, so the permanent fix wasn't in until after that, and there were engines in inventory to go through. So the 3rd engine you had replaced in June 2016 was prior to the new engine fixes. Now if the 4th engine goes, that could be a problem because it should have all the fixes in it.

Good luck!
I hope the latest revisions hold up. I plan on increasing the fun usage compared to the previous motor. I got 5+ years to test.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by no401k
2023 feels like forever from now..until then, keep changing engines out and that helps to pressure Porsche to focus on an actual solution lol
No need to wait for 2023, the issues are with the .1 engines while the .2 engines from 2018 onward are vastly different.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:31 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I hope the latest revisions hold up. I plan on increasing the fun usage compared to the previous motor. I got 5+ years to test.
Me too! I guess you are the perfect tester to find out!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Sorry to hear that

They design is flawed..they will never fix it

All 991.1 including RS and R will have same problem
In your opinion.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 Latest Motor Updates