Sponsored by:

Is this PCCB wear an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:40 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Because they feel better, allow wheels to stay clean, and they are a significant unsparing weight saving item. They definitely have value over steel if in good condition.
Having just switched to iron rotors fom PCCB in the same car, driving on the same track, I speak from experience when I say:
I agree that the wheels stay cleaner with PCCB. PCCB does save weight (but I can't appreciate any better performance as a consequence). Most importantly, PCCB stays cooler on the track, thus keeping tire pressures more stable; however, the iron/steel rotors have a better feel, and don't need to warm up like the PCCB do. (PCCB are always downright scary the first few brake applications.)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM
job511
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack the thread..... I am also learning these PCCB breaks on a vehicle. In terms of rotors and pads, what am I looking at when it looks worn or beat up?

** I know the 2nd set of photos showed PCCB are in better shape. I just don't know what I am looking for or looking at ? Can someone point that out?

many thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 01:06 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by job511
Sorry to hi-jack the thread..... I am also learning these PCCB breaks on a vehicle. In terms of rotors and pads, what am I looking at when it looks worn or beat up?

** I know the 2nd set of photos showed PCCB are in better shape. I just don't know what I am looking for or looking at ? Can someone point that out?

many thanks
I think this sums it up rather well:
From my post above:
Otherwise, you can look for cracks between drill holes, chips (I think I see one in the last photo), irregularities on the surface, and feel for roughness (they should be smooth to touch).
Superficially, they look OK to pass a CPO, but I would get the rotor thickness measured by the laser device at a dealer.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Because they feel better, allow wheels to stay clean, and they are a significant unsparing weight saving item. They definitely have value over steel if in good condition.
I agree with the weight savings and less/no dust on wheels. However if wheels are coated cleaning them is nots as difficult. As far as "feel" goes I have no idea and frankly dont remember feeling any difference than steel.
Do pccb have better braking power? if they significantly do I can see the appeal in getting them but I'm not so sure they do.

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
My guess it's because most who spec them don't hold on to cars long enough/drive them hard enough that they worry about replacement.

I see it kind of like a game of "hot potato" for adults.
I think this may be true and the fact that this thread was created adds to my belief that pccbs in used cars (specially GT3/RS) may not be worth it.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Having just switched to iron rotors fom PCCB in the same car, driving on the same track, I speak from experience when I say:
I agree that the wheels stay cleaner with PCCB. PCCB does save weight (but I can't appreciate any better performance as a consequence). Most importantly, PCCB stays cooler on the track, thus keeping tire pressures more stable; however, the iron/steel rotors have a better feel, and don't need to warm up like the PCCB do. (PCCB are always downright scary the first few brake applications.)
Same experience. Would NOT spec PCCB.

Last edited by Alan C.; 05-20-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WP0
Thanks for confirming this
Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Original photos looks like the brakes were washed....good thing to do by the way...and left to dry and car wasn't moved. My PCCB will look like this too then I drive down the street and they look clean again. They can look like this too after a track day but clean up over a few days or so of street driving.

Pads at 2mm pad material on PCCB is not a good thing. PCCB pads need to be changed out at 50% thickness and that is around 7mm...plus flipping pads side to side after 2-3 track days is a good idea too to keep pucks from cracking.

Only way to measure life of PCCB rotors is the scan tool at a Porsche Dealer.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:12 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Original photos looks like the brakes were washed....good thing to do by the way...and left to dry and car wasn't moved. My PCCB will look like this too then I drive down the street and they look clean again. They can look like this too after a track day but clean up over a few days or so of street driving.

Pads at 2mm pad material on PCCB is not a good thing. PCCB pads need to be changed out at 50% thickness and that is around 7mm...plus flipping pads side to side after 2-3 track days is a good idea too to keep pucks from cracking.

Only way to measure life of PCCB rotors is the scan tool at a Porsche Dealer.
Mike, How does flipping pads from side to side prevent puck cracking? (By side to side, I assume you mean from inside right front rotor to outside right front rotor, and not from right front rotor to left front rotor.). Do you do flip the pads yourself, or take it to the dealer? If you do it yourself, what size tools are needed for your PCCBS on your GT3 (e.g. size 20 torx, etc)? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2019, 03:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Mike, How does flipping pads from side to side prevent puck cracking? (By side to side, I assume you mean from inside right front rotor to outside right front rotor, and not from right front rotor to left front rotor.). Do you do flip the pads yourself, or take it to the dealer? If you do it yourself, what size tools are needed for your PCCBS on your GT3 (e.g. size 20 torx, etc)? Thanks!
Flipping the pads keeps the wear straight from inside to outside of the pads.....thus when the brakes are applied and the pistons/ceramic pucks push the pads to the rotor they are pushed with a even force and not angled. Then the pads wear they do not wear evenly and the angle the pucks are pushing on the pads will cause the edge of the pucks to crack.

I flip pads my self. You will need new caliper bolts as those need to be replaced each time....torque is 63ft lbs..... 8mm Hex
Old 05-19-2019, 11:44 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

+1
Old 05-20-2019, 01:14 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh yes, PCCBs definitely have that stronger bite meaning later braking points
Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
I agree with the weight savings and less/no dust on wheels. However if wheels are coated cleaning them is nots as difficult. As far as "feel" goes I have no idea and frankly dont remember feeling any difference than steel.
Do pccb have better braking power? if they significantly do I can see the appeal in getting them but I'm not so sure they do.I think this may be true and the fact that this thread was created adds to my belief that pccbs in used cars (specially GT3/RS) may not be worth it.
They don't have better braking, except some studies show that over REPEAT braking they are more consistent. What I meant by "better feel" has to do with the brake booster calibration... pccb brakes feel firmer at the pedal, but previous knowledge on threads had concluded this is just a calibration? They definitely have a firmer pedal which I love on track.

Next car I'm still going steel brakes then will spend the $ on the aftermarket refurbishable options as durability of pccb on track remains a massive question mark for me.. UNLESS, Porsche introduces something truly new and track proven on 992 GT3.. will wait and see I guess.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

They don't have better braking, except some studies show that over REPEAT braking they are more consistent. What I meant by "better feel" has to do with the brake booster calibration... pccb brakes feel firmer at the pedal, but previous knowledge on threads had concluded this is just a calibration? They definitely have a firmer pedal which I love on track.

Next car I'm still going steel brakes then will spend the $ on the aftermarket refurbishable options as durability of pccb on track remains a massive question mark for me.. UNLESS, Porsche introduces something truly new and track proven on 992 GT3.. will wait and see I guess.
Thank you for clarifying. It would be great if same brake booster calibration could be applied to steel brakes if both systems use same booster.
I agree with you on the durability of pccb on track and for now prefer the steel brakes as the benefits still don't outweigh the price point imho.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:13 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 664 Likes on 370 Posts

To the OP, if you do end up buying the car, put the PCCB's on the garage shelf so you don't have to go through this with the next buyer! Our AP Racing iron system offers nearly the same weight savings as the PCCB discs, but with a laundry list of other added benefits:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
To the OP, if you do end up buying the car, put the PCCB's on the garage shelf so you don't have to go through this with the next buyer! Our AP Racing iron system offers nearly the same weight savings as the PCCB discs, but with a laundry list of other added benefits:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html
Question.. can your RADIcal calipers be mated to the refurbishable composite disks advertised by other vendors on Rennlist for even greater weight savings? Or even the stock pccb? It would seem that saving weight at both the caliper AND the rotor would be the bi-winning solution no?

Quick Reply: Is this PCCB wear an issue?