Sponsored by:

Guide to removing 991.1 GT3 RS Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Guide to removing 991.1 GT3 RS Roll Cage

anyone posted a guide as mine is going into storage next week, when my car arrives, I dont need to carry that amount of extra weight on the street
Old 05-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

nobody is it a straight unbolt ?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think its pretty straight forward depending on the roll bar. some require more interior trim pieces to be removed along the side (cantrell) whereas others (BBi) do not.
Both seats need to come out and then the carpets...in order to get access to the bolts.
roll bar probably only weighs 20 kg or so...not sure you would even notice, particularly on the street...unless this is part of a bigger weight reduction plan...
Old 05-31-2019, 09:59 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

So its out, took me about 4 hours as I went slowly and carefully, I guess it weighs circa 60lbs, this guide helped https://cantrellmotorsport.com/wp-co...-WITH-PICS.pdf
Old 06-02-2019, 04:53 AM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Richard,

Did you take pictures of what it looked like where the OEM cage was attached to the chassis? Are there reinforcements plates? Are these welded to the chassis?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:07 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

It simply bolts in at the front too
Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for the photo Richard.
The NA cars need a mounting bracket to accept the front legs.This link shows the installation of a replica clubsport cage on a NA car:
https://www.agencypower.com/blog/age...rsche-991-gt3/

I am wondering what the ROW cars' front mounting points look like? Same bolt in brackets or factory weld on plates?

The following users liked this post:
s4corrado996tt (07-16-2024)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 PM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Thanks Richard. I was asking because I have the exact same question as Wind911.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Factory welded in plates, with a welded in thread for the bolt, but the NA bracket solution looks good
Old 06-09-2019, 05:41 AM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Thanks Richard. Manthey also make a cage with a solution similar to the one above but I think it is a single piece.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:19 AM
kamc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
So its out, took me about 4 hours as I went slowly and carefully, I guess it weighs circa 60lbs, this guide helped https://cantrellmotorsport.com/wp-co...-WITH-PICS.pdf
Hi Richard
i have taken mine out to paint this week.

Any pointers on fitting back into the car please. Did you install the side panels first then the cage. The cage front base plates need to go under the rear quarter panels, looks like it will be not easy.

Thank you.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:33 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
Hi Richard, I am in the same spot. I want to remove the cage of my 991.2 GT3 RS. Already tried without success.

So far what I did:
1. Took out panel C covers.
2. Removed rear carpet and rear center console trim.
3. Unbolted the two long top corner screws that connect two main parts of the cage.
4. Removed all 3 screws on each 4 legs of the cage (the ones that attatch to the chassis).

I tried to:
1. Remove panel B trim (first I had to remove the top trim where seat belt comes out of the pillar). IT IS IMPOSSIBLE THERE IS NO SPACE TO PLAY!!
2. Taped panel B base so that I dont damage the trim when removing the cage.

And..... no success so far. Please, can you post your steps?

Regards,

Edson.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:14 AM
kamc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edsonreds
Hi Richard, I am in the same spot. I want to remove the cage of my 991.2 GT3 RS. Already tried without success.

So far what I did:
1. Took out panel C covers.
2. Removed rear carpet and rear center console trim.
3. Unbolted the two long top corner screws that connect two main parts of the cage.
4. Removed all 3 screws on each 4 legs of the cage (the ones that attatch to the chassis).

I tried to:
1. Remove panel B trim (first I had to remove the top trim where seat belt comes out of the pillar). IT IS IMPOSSIBLE THERE IS NO SPACE TO PLAY!!
2. Taped panel B base so that I dont damage the trim when removing the cage.

And..... no success so far. Please, can you post your steps?

Regards,

Edson.
Hi Edison
it was not obvious for me, have you pulled the round disks off around the top of the cage. Behind are hidden screws to separate the cage in two. Then you can slip the side panels away.
The following users liked this post:
edsonreds (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 AM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kamc
Hi Edison
it was not obvious for me, have you pulled the round disks off around the top of the cage. Behind are hidden screws to separate the cage in two. Then you can slip the side panels away.
Thanks for your answer man. Yes, unbolted 2 screws which held in place a short "sleeve". Once you slide it off, the diagonal section gets separated into two parts. One big part (left part) and one small (right part) which is like a post. Along with the top corner bolts, that means the cage gets finally separated into 3 parts, right? Some questions to that matter, please:

1. To retire the diagonal part of the cage, it is not only necessary to unbolt each "leg" right? Did you have to remove the "foam" that protects the circuits and cables at the bottom? or just wiggle the way around?
2. I managed to pull off the Pillar C trim, which are the small side panels near the read window. In order to take out the panel when the speakers are attached: I must retire the trim when the belts come out, am I right? Just then I can pull up the Pillar B trim (where speakers are located)? In that case I will have to finally slide backwards the Panel B trim, right?

Sorry for so many questions.

Regards,

Edson.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:57 AM
kamc
Intermediate

Default Roll cage 991 gt3

Originally Posted by edsonreds
Thanks for your answer man. Yes, unbolted 2 screws which held in place a short "sleeve". Once you slide it off, the diagonal section gets separated into two parts. One big part (left part) and one small (right part) which is like a post. Along with the top corner bolts, that means the cage gets finally separated into 3 parts, right? Some questions to that matter, please:

1. To retire the diagonal part of the cage, it is not only necessary to unbolt each "leg" right? Did you have to remove the "foam" that protects the circuits and cables at the bottom? or just wiggle the way around?
2. I managed to pull off the Pillar C trim, which are the small side panels near the read window. In order to take out the panel when the speakers are attached: I must retire the trim when the belts come out, am I right? Just then I can pull up the Pillar B trim (where speakers are located)? In that case I will have to finally slide backwards the Panel B trim, right?

Sorry for so many questions.

Regards,

Edson.

Quick Reply: Guide to removing 991.1 GT3 RS Roll Cage