Ticket for accelerating too fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 533 Posts

BS ticket
but exhaust note give the impression of speed
every now and then in my neighborhood someone will yell at me to slow down and I am just driving the speed limit 25 miles
as I never drive above speed limit in residential areas
but also bottom line , in my book , police can stop you for anything, and cameras despite being intrusive , are our best protection
Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

Glad I don’t live around this type of BS. I recently got pulled over doing 115 on DNT near Dallas and the cop left me off and said I should be more careful when changing lanes.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
That looks like it all deals with "competitions" like drag racing. OP was by himself?

Originally Posted by tlp
Just an aggressive exhaust note can generate a false impression of speed. I bet if you were in a Tesla you would not have been cited.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Would be interesting to see if thy complain about this on the Tesla forums?

Originally Posted by Drifting
Yes, basically the bluer the state politically, the worse the situation with cars/cops as the blue state will have extra pointless laws including useless traffic laws, and need extra money to pay for wasteful state programs via unnecessary tickets.
just when we thought the "California Lifestyle" thread was dying......
Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

My brother got ticketed for this. Fought it and lost. It’s the law. Sucks but it is the law.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Berjar
I got a lame ticket in my GT3 Touring. Accelerated vary fast from a stop light and got a ticket for "speed racing". No burnt-out. No other cars with me. Not speeding (never left 1st gear). LAME!!! Stock exhaust too!

Be careful. I live in Oregon fyi.

Getting a lawyer.
I wouldnt waste your money on a lawyer (and I am a lawyer). Unless you have a buddy thats a lawyer that won't charge you or will charge you a really reduced rate, you'll spend more than the ticket cost and probably more than any insurance increase. I'd suggest calling the clerk or the prosecutors office and very politely see if they will let you get on probation or deferred adjudication. You can pay a probation fee and fine, and then keep the ticket off your record for insurance purposes.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (05-15-2020)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:53 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
My brother has a 2015 Ferrari 458 Spider. A couple of weeks ago we were driving down a deserted country road on a beautiful Sunday morning. About 15 minutes into our drive, a State Trooper pulled over my brother and issued him a citation for going 45 in a 40 MPH zone. A BS ticket like this would really **** me off, but not my brother. He looks at State Troopers as mobile toll booths.
Your brother will gather enough driving points to lose his license..... I speed and drive however I want so long as I have nothing on my record and not on probation. Driving with one free pass essentially Then, when I get a ticket, I go on probation, pay the fine and drive more conservatively til I am off probation (usually 3 or 6 months depending on the city and court). I dont mind paying tickets. But, risking your drivers license and being uninsurable is foolish.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Glad I don’t live around this type of BS. I recently got pulled over doing 115 on DNT near Dallas and the cop left me off and said I should be more careful when changing lanes.
I’m moving to Dallas. How’s the food there?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
A lawyer - why? Pay the ticket and move on.Unless its going to dramatically affect your insurance.
Never just pay the ticket, ticket clinic or one of those outfits will almost always avoid points at least
Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Holdens
Having recently moved to TN - the police here are much “friendlier” than what I dealt with in New England.

Maybe just depends where in the country you are?
It also depends where in Tennessee you are...
Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I've heard such an "offense" called an "unnecessary display of speed." Anyway you slice it it's ridiculous.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 AM
Berjar
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 139 Posts

Talked to my Lawyer. Oregon 811.125 is the law for those interested. My lawyer said he will argue "an exhibition of speed ir acceleration". How can this be measured? Hate Oregon politics!

(1)A person commits the offense of speed racing on a highway if, on a highway in this state, the person drives a vehicle or participates in any manner in any of the following in which a vehicle is involved:

(a)A speed competition or contest.

(b)An acceleration contest.

(c)A test of physical endurance.

(d)An exhibition of speed or acceleration.

(e)The making of a speed record.

(f)A race. For purposes of this paragraph, racing is the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(g)A drag race. For purposes of this paragraph, drag racing is the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2)The offense described in this section, speed racing on a highway, is a Class A traffic violation and is applicable on any premises open to the public. [1983 c.338 §568; 1985 c.16 §287]

Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Berjar
Talked to my Lawyer. Oregon 811.125 is the law for those interested. My lawyer said he will argue "an exhibition of speed ir acceleration". How can this be measured? Hate Oregon politics!

(1)A person commits the offense of speed racing on a highway if, on a highway in this state, the person drives a vehicle or participates in any manner in any of the following in which a vehicle is involved:

(a)A speed competition or contest.

(b)An acceleration contest.

(c)A test of physical endurance.

(d)An exhibition of speed or acceleration.

(e)The making of a speed record.

(f)A race. For purposes of this paragraph, racing is the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(g)A drag race. For purposes of this paragraph, drag racing is the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2)The offense described in this section, speed racing on a highway, is a Class A traffic violation and is applicable on any premises open to the public. [1983 c.338 §568; 1985 c.16 §287]
Deny it, argue a faulty measurement, i was paced by a cop while he was coming up an entrance ramp so i told the ticket clinic lawyer he was traveling a longer distance to stay with me, i dunno what they argued but it was dismissed. With a clean record they usually dismiss, at least i’ve heard that about here in florida
Old 05-18-2019, 01:27 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I’m moving to Dallas. How’s the food there?
Well, the donuts are amazing!

The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (05-15-2020)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Sorry but anyone with a little common sense knows it's probably not legal to do a 0-45 full throttle acceleration from a standstill at a light. Is it fun? Yes. Do we do it anyways? Absolutely But you gotta know if a cop sees you do it you're gonna get pulled over....

Best bet is to go and apologize. There was no one on the road. Just letting off steam. Happy to pay a fine but please reduce it to a non points offense. Has worked for me in the past. And not sure how it is in your state but the cop doesn't have to show up. They have one officer do all the tickets for the day.

The judge and cops appreciate honesty more than anything and if you have a clean driving record it's likely to stay that way. Lawyer will cost money and only makes them go for a conviction more. Most communities have zero tolerance for "racing", even though that's not what you were doing.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Frankly, this should be a slam dunk for you and your lawyer. The only item listed in the law that you posted which may be applicable is "exhibition of acceleration". The state/cop are hopeful that you pay the ticket and don't challenge it.

Formally request in writing through the discovery process from the state the following:
1. The calibration documentation for the police officer's accelerometer.
2. The make, model, and operating manual of the accelerometer that the police officer used to detect your acceleration.
3. The posted acceleration limit on the road that you were traveling on.
4. Dash cam footage from the police officer's cruiser.
5. A list of all the witnesses/by standers that you were "exhibiting your speed" to.

I've gotten all this stuff before for their radar guns/speed detectors - (not accelerometer which don't exist). No problem. Failure to comply with the discovery is evidence in itself. They should respond in writing that these don't exist.

More importantly, whatever the court date is on the ticket etc, get it moved because you are on business travel that day (or something to that effect). These court dates are based on the officer's shift and vacation schedule. Move the date and you increase the probability that the police officer will be a no show. No show for the "trial" equals dismissed.

I've gotten 3 tickets dismissed for BS crap.
The following 3 users liked this post by subshooter:
AlexCeres (03-06-2020), Jeahbladejeah (05-15-2020), Kerosene (03-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Ticket for accelerating too fast!!