Sponsored by:

Ticket for accelerating too fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:27 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Berjar
I got a lame ticket in my GT3 Touring. Accelerated vary fast from a stop light and got a ticket for "speed racing". No burnt-out. No other cars with me. Not speeding (never left 1st gear). LAME!!! Stock exhaust too!
Be careful. I live in Oregon fyi.
Getting a lawyer.
PDK in Launch Control brings a smile to my face and "might" qualify for the above, but a Touring MT6 starting off with no wheel spin or rubber flying is quite a stretch of a claim to be classified as such an offense.

You may have picked the wrong day, wrong place, wrong cop as the claim just does not seem plausible.
I encourage you to follow your instinct and pursue your right to legal investigation through the court system.
The heart of The Constitution is a system of Checsk and Balances; Do not let a sketchy claim go unchecked
Old 05-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Maui911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTH! That sucks!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I admit I am not fully aware on how Virginia traffic law applies,my information comes from reading countless posts and articles about people going to jail and have their car impounded in the state of Virginia for speeding and other traffic offenses : some of the cases got media coverage because of the famous people involved...
Speeding is not the same thing as going from 0-whatever speed (like 45mph) too fast.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

There are laws on acceleration?
Sure don't have any numbers or posted limits like they do for velocity... Cop is sounding more like a tax man

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Speeding is not the same thing as going from 0-whatever speed (like 45mph) too fast.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

If many feel that it is BS; next time a Cop pulls up next to you at a stop light; accelerate hard for 2 seconds and then slow down and tell me if you get pulled over .
Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If many feel that it is BS; next time a Cop pulls up next to you at a stop light; accelerate hard for 2 seconds and then slow down and tell me if you get pulled over .
I don't see the reason why you'd be looking for trouble intentionally... Even if you beat the ticket there's hustle involved,money spent etc. That's not the point : the point is to be ready to fight the racketeering organization when trouble does find you.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I admit I am not fully aware on how Virginia traffic law applies,my information comes from reading countless posts and articles about people going to jail and have their car impounded in the state of Virginia for speeding and other traffic offenses : some of the cases got media coverage because of the famous people involved...
Waze is your friend in VA. I have to drive through every so often to go see my family in SC. It definitely is stupid and they actually have aircraft monitoring speed every so often (less now than they used to). They will take you to jail if you are doing 15 or 20 I believe over but anything before that and it's just a fine.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Waze is your friend in VA. I have to drive through every so often to go see my family in SC. It definitely is stupid and they actually have aircraft monitoring speed every so often (less now than they used to). They will take you to jail if you are doing 15 or 20 I believe over but anything before that and it's just a fine.
Cool.

I wonder what happens if you get hit with reckless driving...
Old 05-17-2019, 08:53 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Cool.

I wonder what happens if you get hit with reckless driving...
Misdemeanor offense. They will give you that if you are doing over 85 I think and you have to actually head back to VA to show up in court. Can't just pay the fine. Trust me, us southerners don't like VA very much.. Best thing to do in that state, get off the interstates and hit one of the roads up like Blue Ridge parkway, I've never seen a cop on that road and have done plenty fast on it.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Bend Oregon,, For many years had the largest Volume Porsche Dealer in the US,, not kidding they rolled them out daily for years. All the retired Californians moving there and discovering the roads..

Yep lawyer up, the court date on the ticket is so you can plead guilty, you'll have to pre-request a real date for a trial.
(The Lawyer will deal with that if you get one quick.. )

Don't speed in Hood River, Bend or Sandy Or .. Min ticket is about 300.. 35 in a 25 in sandy is 450 to 700 depending on the cops and judges mood..
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Doing 20 over the limit in VA can land you in jail, also doing 20 over the limit is considered reckless driving in VA.

A few years ago Jayson Werth of the Washington Nationals went to jail for speeding.

https://thenewswheel.com/jayson-wert...jail-speeding/

https://www.berniesez.com/what-happe...t-in-virginia/
Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

deleted...
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jim137a
Doing 20 over the limit in VA can land you in jail, also doing 20 over the limit is considered reckless driving in VA.

A few years ago Jayson Werth of the Washington Nationals went to jail for speeding.

https://thenewswheel.com/jayson-wert...jail-speeding/

https://www.berniesez.com/what-happe...t-in-virginia/
Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
However, the exhibition of speed is one thing, but how can law enforcement demonstrate an exhibition of acceleration?
Well, for all the idiots who record themselves doing launches in their Teslas you just need some landmarks visible to calculate their speed quite easily while also proving their location.

I cringe every time I see people doing those Tesla launches on public streets. The speed combined with lack of noise, I'm honestly surprised we don't see more pedestrian impacts caught on camera. Even with auto-braking you can't escape physics.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
In California they typically call that “exhibition of speed”. A ticket for sure

don't drive like an *** around the police!
In NV ... they use "reckless" driving??? I found that out in a modded 92 Tercel at a traffic circle??? It was epic and I knew the cop was there, because I ran with V1 on board. And as I waited my turn at a dead stop ... he kept hitting me??? WTH, the speed limit is 45 here, I have a traffic circle in front of me?? And I'm at dead stop, so WTH, is he gonna do?

Well ... I found out! So the cost was clear and me and my Terk, do what we do, it's my favorite test bed a really tight and small traffic circle. I usually have a clear shot and barely notice it. But this time I was a dead stop ... so whatever, I blow thru it and out the other side. The next thing I see is flashing lights??? And the motorcycle cop comes up ... laughing I might add. And ask me ... "If you can give me a good explanation for what I just I saw ... I "won't" write you a six point ticket for reckless driving, as I clocked you at 35 mph thru a 15 mph zone!

I mumbled something about just being from Ca and new suspension mods and wanted to see what I could do?? I suspect he was a "Car guy??" So he let me off with a warning! I promised him he would not "See Me" ... doing that crap again. So yeah now I look and if V1 says Cop! I pay attention!

So a note to all that may not have noticed ... traffic circles have speed limit's?!

But back on point yeah it's a BS ticket! But what are you gonna do?? Exhibition of speed or Reckless driving, pretty much covers "everything??"

Quick Reply: Ticket for accelerating too fast!!