Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Help on akrapovic (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1143293-help-on-akrapovic.html)

MPietro 05-16-2019 04:50 AM

Help on akrapovic

Hi all,
i bought some parts from akrapovic https://www.akrapovic.com/de/car/pro...48&yearId=5104 and now they are telling me this part doesnt fits to the original center/muffler of the GT3. Indeed I tried yesterday to mount it and the holes is bigger than the pipe but I am not sure if I need an extra part ....
does any of you know more about it ?
thx

shapiroeric 05-16-2019 06:10 AM

When you say original do you mean 991.1 GT3 or just the original muffler on the .2?

MPietro 05-16-2019 06:18 AM

I do have the 991.2 GT3 and the original muffler from the GT3 RS and it seems I have been tricked by a german guy called Jannik

shapiroeric 05-16-2019 09:07 AM

Sorry but I'm confused.....you have a 991.2 GT3....you're trying to use the Akro link pipes with a 991.1 RS center muffler and put it on your .2 GT3?

MPietro 05-16-2019 09:38 AM

yes

PS: I think the center of the RS is the same in the .1 and .2 isnt?

Maverick11 05-16-2019 11:26 AM

Not sure (I have the akra center delete) but I think those link pipes are used with the Akra full race system. If I were you Id sell them and get a dual entry side bypass (better for health of your center muffler) and you can keep the valves that way of you want.

A/S 05-16-2019 11:44 AM

I have those pipes and they work with any stock center muffler from a 991 gt3 car.

Have your shop trim 2.5mm of inner diameter in the stock exhaust lower round graphite gasket, and you're good to go.

MPietro 05-16-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by A/S (Post 15844576)
I have those pipes and they work with any stock center muffler from a 991 gt3 car.

Have your shop trim 2.5mm of inner diameter in the stock exhaust lower round graphite gasket, and you're good to go.

Sounds good Thx A/S. Where do I get those trims?

A/S 05-17-2019 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by MPietro (Post 15844644)
Sounds good Thx A/S. Where do I get those trims?

It is not a part, it is labor (a service). Multiple ways to accomplish this.

Buy a pair of the lower inlet gaskets for the stock center exhaust, keep them stored for your stock exhaust, as once you modify the ones you already have to make the Akrapovic link pipes work, they won’t be good for the stock center muffler.

You need to increase the inner diameter of these two round gaskets by 2.5mm (or 3/32”). You can use a circular saw, with a press to support the gasket. I did mine a different way, I peeled them with a knife and finished them with a Dremel tool to grind them down until they pipes cleared through. It is an easy job, 30-45 minutes if you know what you’re doing

MPietro 05-17-2019 10:00 AM

Thanks A/S.
Do you also have the same combination in your car, stock muffler with side pipes from akra ? how does it sounds ? it is extreme or okay.... :)

A/S 05-17-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by MPietro (Post 15846798)
Thanks A/S.
Do you also have the same combination in your car, stock muffler with side pipes from akra ? how does it sounds ? it is extreme or okay.... :)

I had Akrapovic Headers, they add around 22hp per Akrapovic, and I confirmed the gains on the the VBox with tests from 60-100mph, as I ran these headers with the 991.1 GT3RS and for a little while in the 991.2 GT3RS after break-in. With these headers, you have to use the Akrapovic link pipes, and either the stock Center muffler or the Akrapovic Center muffler. I ran the L-pipes with the stock RS Titanium Center muffler.

Sound is ok, there is a little drone but it is not annoying. All the exhausts that bypass the sides and run into the Stock center muffler through a single pipe (lower inlet with upper one sealed) have drone at small or large (annoying) levels.

With the headers, the sound is more metallic, you can hear the exhaust gases bouncing/flowing through the Titanium metal. The tone is on the same pitch as the stock GT3RS, I would say the stock GT3RS is 2 out of 10 for loudness with valves closed and 5 out of 10 with valves open. The Akrapovic headers increase this value by 1, so it is 6 out of 10 (10 being obnoxious loud, 8 being my personal tolerance).

Currently, I'm running stock headers and JCR Silenced Race Pipes, this configuration is 8 out of 10 for loudness, but it produces the highest pitch (think R8V10, old F355 kind of high pitch) at 6,000rpm, and just evolves magically into the best sound from there on.

I personally don't like the stock GT3RS sound, I drove my car with the stock exhaust for less than 80 miles and went and started installing and testing my leftover mufflers from my 991.1 GT3 RS (FabSpeed, Sharkwerks, Akrapovic, FVD, and added Soul, JCR and soon Dundon).

You'll be happy with the Akrapovic Link pipes, they are not loud, and the eliminate the annoying valves on/off that I just don't like.

Tom@TPC Racing 06-26-2021 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by A/S (Post 15846698)
You need to increase the inner diameter of these two round gaskets by 2.5mm (or 3/32”). You can use a circular saw, with a press to support the gasket. I did mine a different way, I peeled them with a knife and finished them with a Dremel tool to grind them down until they pipes cleared through. It is an easy job, 30-45 minutes if you know what you’re doing

Sorry to bring this thread back from the past. I wanted to applaud your effort. I got lazy and tried to use a hole saw. The gasket fell apart to the circular speed motion as the metal wires unwind. The only way to do it effectively is your way of hand grinding with a Dremel to basically shorten each strand of metal wire. Well done Sir!
Akrap does sell the gasket set at $300+ but I imagine they'd probably only fit the Akrap center muffler at the conical portion.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...97f939e9a9.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...84a91b7e73.jpg