Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just went for a drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 PM
997gr8
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Kudos to the OP for just putting into words, the thrill of driving - that is indeed what these cars are all about!!

I’m very intrigued by the references to the 997.
I have a 997 C4S and a 991.2 GT3 - both cars have manual transmissions, both are in GT Silver and both have ceramics. The 997 is a .1 with the x51 powerkit option.

I drive both cars regularly (between May and November), but only for pleasure (I don’t go to work or to the mall or anything like that). I seek out new interesting roads and just drive for the hell of it.

The 997 blows me away with it’s grip, poise, tightly controlled damping, steering feel and monster brakes. The power never really impresses me, but the way it is delivered and what the chassis can do with it, definitely does. It feels like a weapon of a car, not in the sense that it can annihilate any road, but in the sense that that is it’s purpose. I dismay at folks who use their 911’s everyday (even though I know i shouldn’t) because i feel it’s such a tremendous drivers car, that it should only be used for driving pleasure.

Then, there’s the GT3 - ‘blows me away’ doesn’t even begin to describe what this car does to me. It literally makes my giggle like a schoolgirl! The performance is so magnificent and so exploitable, it feels like it should be totally illegal - surely they can’t just sell this to the general public (no irony intended)?

The 997 is the more analog car, and it’s compact dimensions more suited to twisty two-ways. The GT3 feels bigger, heavier, but much more planted, with no body roll at all and a razor sharp front end that literally makes every turn a synaptic pleasure experience. The GT3 feels more like a video game because it’s limits are simply way beyond what a road can throw at it, I’m sure it becomes more analog on a track - I don’t enjoy track driving, so wouldn’t know. The rear wheel steering feels like ‘cheating’, because it’s too effective, like the cliche ‘unfair advantage’, that all race teams dream of. The 997 makes you work harder, ultimately for less reward, where the GT3 goads you into driving it harder and harder so you can get a little closer to relishing the mountainous capability and effortless perfection.

I need to go for a drive...
Old 05-18-2019, 12:34 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I just clicked for a track day this weekend
Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Wife's car died last week. She's driving my daily and I'm daily-driving my GT3. Definitely puts a smile on my face.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:52 PM
foot2pedal911
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Simply exhilarating freedom.

Eversince I got my Viper Green ( or "John Deere " as some have called it) GT3T in December, after a summer fun with my Carrera T, spring was much anticipated. I have been enjoying cruising and carving down southeast Ohio curvy back country roads like its my last run of the season. You push it and it pushes back, makes you think twice about your driver skills. Great car.

General Custer wished he could have had the 500 horses this John Deere is packing..it may have helped him and the troops at Little Big Horn.

Quick Reply: Just went for a drive