Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Ferodo DS3.12 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1143210-ferodo-ds3-12-a.html)

Clark-ApexPerformance 05-15-2019 05:35 PM

Ferodo DS3.12

Ferodo DS3.12 pads are back in stock in 991 GT3 and GT4 pad shapes. Still not on our website call to order. Current pricing is the same as DS1.11.

mdrums 05-16-2019 12:01 AM

Clark at Apex is a great place to buy from, great service and product knowledge ..I’ve bought many things there over the last 7 or so years...always happy!

AlecG 05-16-2019 12:03 PM

Just had the DS3's installed yesterday and will be lapping at Watkins Glen in a few days. Can't wait to see how they hold-up to 45 minutes on track at a sub 2:00 minute pace!

Clark-ApexPerformance 05-16-2019 04:43 PM

Dr Jonathan Sasportas from New Jersey was first on the waitng list to get the DS3.12. He received them and went to New Jersey Motorsports Park. He called me on Monday morning and told me I am hooked, Please tell me i can get more of these pads. Below is his assessment of their performance.

Just ran the DS3.12's this past weekend on my 991.2 GT3.

Previously I had been running the DS1.11's with good success and rotor longevity.

Well.....so far so good. Easy brake modulation, no ABS activation, or rotor issues.

Here's the interesting objective findings:

Solo DL 2 data analysis of brake pressure for identical zones on a known local track are consistently decreased by 300-400 psi on heavy braking (end of straights), and decreased by approximately 100-150 for less aggressive braking areas of the track.

Very confident braking from the out lap if the system was warm from a previous run (within an hour).

Good even transfer of pad material to disc. Absolutely no shuttering.

Minimal to no fade after 30 minute sessions.

Only bad thing is that I need to re-train my brain and foot so as to compensate for the decreased pedal application. I also lost .5 seconds per lap because I was over slowing into the initial turn in from a long straight. I'll fix that next time out.

kahane18 05-17-2019 10:12 AM

What pad do you recommend for PCCB's?

orthojoe 05-17-2019 10:17 AM

Sasportas' review concurs with my experience with these new pads as well. They require less pedal pressure than other compounds, which means you need to recalibrate. However, once you do, they are the most consistent pad I've used. Plan on braking to be the same every time from start to finish. The 3.12 are my pad of choice now. Clark is the man.

Clark-ApexPerformance 05-17-2019 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by kahane18 (Post 15846825)
What pad do you recommend for PCCB's?

Pagid RSC-1 is the only proven option for PCCBs. With the replacement price of these rotors I would be afraid to experiment with anything else.

Clark-ApexPerformance 05-17-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by orthojoe (Post 15846839)
Sasportas' review concurs with my experience with these new pads as well. They require less pedal pressure than other compounds, which means you need to recalibrate. However, once you do, they are the most consistent pad I've used. Plan on braking to be the same every time from start to finish. The 3.12 are my pad of choice now. Clark is the man.

Joe thanks for the vote of confidence.

Mech33 05-17-2019 01:16 PM

I just switched to DS3.12 purchased from Apex on my GT3 and ran them at Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway over the past few weeks on stock iron rotors. So far so good! The pad material transfer layer on the disc is very uniform (unlike the stock pads that seemed to be depositing non-uniformly at high temperatures) with no shuddering.

i was braced for a massive reduction in needed brake pedal force, but it wasn’t that dramatic. I found it very manageable and didn’t too easily trigger ABS (which I had feared).

I kook forward to running through the whole set. As of now, my next set of pads will be another set of DS3.12 from Apex!

Clark-ApexPerformance 05-17-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 15847353)
I just switched to DS3.12 purchased from Apex on my GT3 and ran them at Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway over the past few weeks on stock iron rotors. So far so good! The pad material transfer layer on the disc is very uniform (unlike the stock pads that seemed to be depositing non-uniformly at high temperatures) with no shuddering.

i was braced for a massive reduction in needed brake pedal force, but it wasn’t that dramatic. I found it very manageable and didn’t too easily trigger ABS (which I had feared).

I kook forward to running through the whole set. As of now, my next set of pads will be another set of DS3.12 from Apex!

Marty,
Glad you like them. When you are ready I have more.

PorscheRuminator 05-22-2019 01:05 AM

How is the noise/squeal factor with these new Ferodo pads? I have been using RT RE-10s and they need more force to stop until they are warmed up but they do not squeal at all. Any comparison re longevity yet?

Dougr743 05-22-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by orthojoe (Post 15846839)

I know you changed your calipers and rotors on you gt3, did you ever use these pads on the factory rotors? Do you have a recommendation for the pad and rotor swap without new calipers?thanks

Mech33 05-22-2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by PorscheRuminator (Post 15857214)
How is the noise/squeal factor with these new Ferodo pads? I have been using RT RE-10s and they need more force to stop until they are warmed up but they do not squeal at all. Any comparison re longevity yet?

My 3.12 have made an occasional squeal, but overall they have been very quiet. I suspect driving them on the street for long periods of time between track events may result in more noise if you wear off the transfer layer.

erko1905 05-22-2019 10:32 PM

Hi Clark - the 3.12 still call only to order, not on website?

Also, Giro vs AP, do you have any difference in replacement disc inventory/order times? Wondering if either one is more easily available if/when needed?

disden 05-23-2019 08:42 AM

mine were just put on along with new AP rotors; I am going to both NCM and MidOhio in the next week. interested to see how they work. Last time I went with Brembo and Re-10 setup, so will see which I prefer.