Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Need counseling from the docs here (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1143080-need-counseling-from-the-docs-here.html)

lbcgolf 05-15-2019 03:35 AM

Need counseling from the docs... but got bad advice, lol

Originally Posted by Midtowner (Post 15841434)
I sold my '15 Turbo for a '14 GT3 PCCB. GT3 is more engaging and perfect for the track but I miss the Turbo effortless speed and handling so much so that I am now having evil thoughts of buying a used Turbo S and keeping my GT3. My GF will never understand.

Cribbed this quote from the GT3 v. 991TT thread, but my sentiments of perhaps being able to keep 2 991s in my garage looms.

I bought a factory fresh 991.1 C2S Cabrio in the fall of 2013. Did my 2 weeks of ED whoopie fun including several laps at the Ring. What turned out to be a mistake is that while I recognized that it wasn't going to be a daily driver, I still opted it with a PDK. 5+ years on, I've come to the conclusion (should've been much sooner) that a weekend canyon carver is much more enjoyable with a manual.

Now I've been lusting for a GT3 for quite some time... that 500 horses of NA power coupled to a 6MT? Where do I sign up, right? I don't intend to track it, it's just for my weekend fun. I've concluded I'm going to get one, signed up for a session at PECLA next week to make sure it isn't too much I can handle, started poking around for either new or newish examples.

The problem? My son was 2 when I bought my cabrio and my daughter popped out a couple of years later. They're 7 and 3 respectively, and they love to bomb around with daddy with the top down. The GT3 comes neither in a cabrio version or a back seat. I don't have Speedster money... in any case I don't have VIP status at my local Porsche dealer and it doesn't come with a back seat anyways.

Financially I can keep the cabrio and swing the cash for the GT3... but the wrath I would incur from the missus is somewhere between sleeping with the dog for an extended amount of time to divorce. There's no easy answer. I guess what I'm looking for in this thread is...… free therapy! lol

evilfij 05-15-2019 04:29 AM

Drive and see what you think. I would probably be nearly equally happy with a cabrio or C2 or C2S, but I was like f*** it, get a GT3 because why not. I am never going to use all the power, and while driving through an underpass at 8k rpm is an outstanding parlor trick, I am not sure if is that much more fun than doing so in my old 993 C4 cab at 6500 rpm. I am also not sure how big your kids are now, but the 7 year old is probably on short time with back seat riding anyway. 3 pedal is great so maybe it’s worth it to ride 2 up in a GT3 and you can have fun in your daily with the kids? For the price differential between a new high option PTS touring and a more stripper manual with some miles you can get a really nice e39 M5, for example. ;)

chance6 05-15-2019 05:15 AM

Have you considered dumping your Cabrio in favor of a 992 S?

lbcgolf 05-15-2019 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 15841554)
Have you considered dumping your Cabrio in favor of a 992 S?

No. I want a normally aspirated motor, particularly that 4.0. Despite Porsche's promise that it'll live on in future models, I fear the greenies will eventually take them away from us.

VOLTCONTROL 05-15-2019 06:24 AM

Pure weekend fun.. Banging through the gears whilst carving up snaking roads in a sweet naturally aspirated car, definitely my kind of fun.

~My 2 eurocents~
I'd consider the critisism of over-gearing on all modern Porsches and try one on a road that fits your intended use.
Because it's intended for weekend lolz only, I would add trying a shorter geared car like a Lotus (preferably a more powerful Exige) or an older GT P-car on the same roads to properly.
This will show how both cars can be exploited in terms of powerband sweetspot in the conditions you're going to use them in.

cajerseyboy 05-15-2019 06:28 AM

I was in your exact position. Went with adding a 997.2RS to my GTS Cab PDK. Same cost as a nice 991.2 GT3 but very different / more analog and probably won't go down in value as fast as the 991.2 GT cars that have higher production numbers. Not an investment but you won't take a bath. It's beyond fun and you can get more shifts in than the 991.2 before you hit jail speeds. Maybe consider a 997.1 or 2 GT3 of the RS is out of budget.

When I drive the cab GTS now I'm so happy I didn't sell it. The drop top is just fantastic for date nights or a coastal drive. I would really have missed it if I let it go.

Good luck with your decision. :thumbup:

tstafford 05-15-2019 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by NA430GTS (Post 15841585)
I was in your exact position. Went with adding a 997.2RS to my GTS Cab PDK. Same cost as a nice 991.2 GT3 but very different / more analog and probably won't go down in value as fast as the 991.2 GT cars that have higher production numbers. Not an investment but you won't take a bath. It's beyond fun and you can get more shifts in than the 991.2 before you hit jail speeds. Maybe consider a 997.1 or 2 GT3 of the RS is out of budget.

I'm surprised more people don't do this. I'm tempted to go even earlier - 997.1RS or 996 GT3.

Maybe it's the PDK (but I don't think so) but the 991.1 or .2 GT3 just isn't that fun for me on the road. It's too much car - not too much to handle as it's very easy to drive. It's just so bottled up at ~legal road speeds. I keep it mostly as an alternative track car (wet, passenger, remote track I don't want to ship the Radical, etc.)

Holdens 05-15-2019 08:19 AM

Since it’s financially viable - Keep Cabrio and pick up GT. Compare for them for some time.

By then maybe it will be okay to have two sports cars?

How’s the saying go?

“It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission?”

:roflmao:

Porsche911GTS'16 05-15-2019 09:04 AM

I agree with Holdens. Get the GT3 and hold on to the cab. If you find that you aren't needing the cab anymore, sell it. Or if you scratch your GT3 itch and decide to move on, sell it and you will still have your cab.

race7117 05-15-2019 10:03 AM

I'd look at getting a 991.2 Cab just make sure you spec it with rear wheel steering, Sports exhaust, PASM,( or sports package) the manual, larger wheels and without PDCC, and without power steering plus. The PDCC really takes away a lot of the feel in the handling but does keep the chassis neutral so its better for perofrmance but at the expense of the driving experience. The torque in the new turbo engines will pay huge dividends on regular roads and at regular speeds. You have the luxury of the rear seats and the ride of the car will much better on the street over the GT3. I loved my Touring for the street but the ride is more oriented for the track, many will like it but over time but most will prefer a softer suspension on the street (this is why the 911R has such a following). It's really hard to get that balance between street and track and the GT3 really hits that balance ( I think the RS is pushed far to the track side at the expense of the street), but if you aren't going to the track I don't think the GT3 is the right car. The torque and handling of a properly specced carrera cab really still is a fantastic machine and here on the GT forum doesn't get a lot of love but that's to be expected. With the new 992 coming out these 991.2 cabs can be found for a steal, just get a proper spec, and perhaps strike that middle ground with your wife.....happy wife happy life!

A/S 05-15-2019 10:07 AM

I still put more miles on my 991 Turbo S than I do on my 991 GT3 RS. They are so different on driving dynamics, yet on a racetrack, they produce similar lap times, with some racetracks favoring the TTS and others the GT3RS.

A Cab and a GT3, perfect pair.

drdonger 05-15-2019 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by lbcgolf (Post 15841509)
Cribbed this quote from the GT3 v. 991TT thread, but my sentiments of perhaps being able to keep 2 991s in my garage looms.

I bought a factory fresh 991.1 C2S Cabrio in the fall of 2013. Did my 2 weeks of ED whoopie fun including several laps at the Ring. What turned out to be a mistake is that while I recognized that it wasn't going to be a daily driver, I still opted it with a PDK. 5+ years on, I've come to the conclusion (should've been much sooner) that a weekend canyon carver is much more enjoyable with a manual.

Now I've been lusting for a GT3 for quite some time... that 500 horses of NA power coupled to a 6MT? Where do I sign up, right? I don't intend to track it, it's just for my weekend fun. I've concluded I'm going to get one, signed up for a session at PECLA next week to make sure it isn't too much I can handle, started poking around for either new or newish examples.

The problem? My son was 2 when I bought my cabrio and my daughter popped out a couple of years later. They're 7 and 3 respectively, and they love to bomb around with daddy with the top down. The GT3 comes neither in a cabrio version or a back seat. I don't have Speedster money... in any case I don't have VIP status at my local Porsche dealer and it doesn't come with a back seat anyways.

Financially I can keep the cabrio and swing the cash for the GT3... but the wrath I would incur from the missus is somewhere between sleeping with the dog for an extended amount of time to divorce. There's no easy answer. I guess what I'm looking for in this thread is...… free therapy! lol

Nothing beats the driving experience of a manual GT3 to me on the street/twisties. I’ve driven all sorts of dual clutch cars and they do absolutely nothing for me on the street. Get rid of the turbo and get a manual 991.2 GT3. It has the extra torque and power that won’t make you miss the TT.

I personally would not drive a child under 7 or 8 in a sports car, so you have a few years for your daughter. We all have different views and tolerances when it comes to safety.

Porsch 05-15-2019 10:33 AM

Now I've been lusting for a GT3 for quite some time... that 500 horses of NA power coupled to a 6MT? Where do I sign up, right?

Financially I can keep the cabrio and swing the cash for the GT3...

Your lust for the GT3 will only get stronger the longer you wait. Ask me how I know. Get the GT3. Your missus will get over it. Been there, done that. When she yells at you, go for a drive and you'll quickly forget it all.

lbcgolf 05-15-2019 03:29 PM

Wow, lot's of thanks for the invaluable advice!

A lot of food for thought here. Don't wanna go 991.2 (non-GT3) because of the forced induction. But some of the other options are very intriguing I must admit. A 997 GT3 in various vintages, 991.1 GTS MT, makes me think I can dole out $100k or less for 1 of those (haven't looked) and that'd be the same or less than if I sold my cab and got a 991.2 GT3 MT... maybe the missus won't put my nads in a sling... too much, lol.

Or I could keep the cab, get the GT3 and roll the dice. People on both sides of that fence too.

Super helpful stuff, thanks!

chance6 05-15-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by NA430GTS (Post 15841585)

When I drive the cab GTS now I'm so happy I didn't sell it. The drop top is just fantastic for date nights or a coastal drive. I would really have missed it if I let it go.

Good luck with your decision. :thumbup:

Looking down the road, I don’t see 991.2 GT3’s losing that much value. Especially if this electrification accelerates. Not to make it a value thread, but there will be depreciation but I don’t see it being that steep. Heck even 5 year old GT3s are going for mid - $120k range. If some poor victim didn’t pay $30k ADM I think he/she will come out fine.

That said there are numerous 911 options out there.