Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991.2 GT3 vs. 991.2 TT - any anguish? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1143028-991-2-gt3-vs-991-2-tt-any-anguish.html)

chance6 05-14-2019 05:53 PM

991.2 GT3 vs. 991.2 TT - any anguish?

Since I’ve had my GT3 with only 800 miles on it and only taken it on a few drives so far, I’m trying to reconcile my decision to get rid of the TT, which was also fabulous. Anybody else have this anguish?

Mine was a steel-braked TT with Burmester and PDCC. Probably first world problems here. I will say that the GT3 is just more fun to exercise that engine. The Bose is probably a regret, but that’s all you can get on a GT3.

From a rev standpoint there is no comparison- on the TT it was like the revs didn’t really matter and the engine lost some personality.

The PDK box, the PCCB, and lightness of the car all are in favor of the GT3.

Since I got mine lightly used I guess I could always go back to TT in a year if I wanted to- but I’m not sure a 7000 rpm redline will do it for me...

Anyone else have these same impure thoughts?? Ha ha

FORENN 05-14-2019 06:01 PM

I got rid of my 991 turbo S after only a few months. I never thought about it again. GT3 is just worlds more engaging, exhilarating and fun — especially with 6MT, The Bose stereo is a nice step up from the base model but the engine is the real music.

KBS911 05-14-2019 06:14 PM

Traded a 15 GT3 for an 18 Turbo. Lowered it with GMG springs. It was a great car, handled well and very fast. Traded for a 19 GT3. Love the new GT3, but the Turbo was special in it's own way, too. Can't match the 3 for sound and fury, but the power and torque was incredible. Wish I could have both, but in the end the GT3 by a nose.

chance6 05-14-2019 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by KBS911 (Post 15840691)
Traded a 15 GT3 for an 18 Turbo. Lowered it with GMG springs. It was a great car, handled well and very fast. Traded for a 19 GT3. Love the new GT3, but the Turbo was special in it's own way, too. Can't match the 3 for sound and fury, but the power and torque was incredible. Wish I could have both, but in the end the GT3 by a nose.

So it seems I’m not the only one that has made this swap. For me it’s GT3 or Turbo, probably nothing else.

Dr.Bill 05-14-2019 06:32 PM

Had a Turbo S for a short time. Never again.
The GT cars have spoiled me.

abiazis 05-14-2019 07:32 PM

I went the other way....GT3 to TTS.......only could justify one plus I have a 993 for more visceral motoring.......

When I use Sport plus mode, it transforms the TTS into a real beast with fast shifts like the GT3 and louder noises and when I go in auto mode it is docile and quiet enough to drive around all day doing errands, etc without ever getting tired.....fast as all get out in a smooth manner or not so smooth depending on your right foot and shifting.....

My TTS is more versatile for sure and a better daily driver for me and came with things I did not have on the GT3 - PCCBs, Burmeister, Deviated stitching everywhere, PTS, carbon fiber interior bits, glass sunroof and LEDs.......after all it is a more expensive car and an upgrade if you will...

Of course I miss the GT3 engine sound winding up to 9K RPM, but that works both ways.......on short trips bursting around in the GT3 is great experience, but if on a longer trip or all day stop and go errands, it is too much drama and tiring, for me anyways..........the 993 can also give me the same feeling with its manual and loud engine noise becoming a bit tiring..................

I have had the TTS on the track at Road Atlanta and it surprises you more than a GT3 surprises you as far as a positive thing......it is amazing that a TTS can do what it does on the track - plenty stiff enough at speed and corners.......just without any real effort, which is amazing........have to press it some more in the future to see its limits on the track.........

Porsche makes great cars and we have such a choice these days.......wish I could have 4 or 5 of the 911s to play with...............

Porsch 05-14-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill (Post 15840727)

This ^^. All day every day.

chance6 05-14-2019 07:48 PM

Options are a factor too- if the GT3 had std brakes, Bi xenon, sound package plus, std interior, no stitch, bright wheels, etc. I wouldn’t have bought it.

Some is a matter of what is most important and what you can do without- for me, I never use a sunroof anyway. Don’t care about heated seats.

I do love the PCCBs on the GT3. First time ever having them.

carcommander 05-14-2019 08:14 PM

I kept my 991TT. If I could only have one it would be it. Smooth, powerful and comfortable. I also have a GT3 .2 manual and a GT2RS, progressively more focused. But if I could only have one.

hashash 05-14-2019 08:30 PM

I had a 991 TTS that I just sold ; I really miss the car . It was a perfect car and faster too than my .2 3RS . The only too drawbacks were the 3RS looks much better especially with WP (the TTS just looks too tame beside an RS )and the sound was meh (even with a AWE exhaust) . Other than that it’s a perfect car .
when comparing to a GT3 it’s all about the 9k redline and sound .

Maverick11 05-14-2019 10:06 PM

Never had a Turbo but have driven on track several times in Birmingham at Porsche school. The speed is on another level but the weight makes it just feel like a totally different car vs. GT3. GT3 wins for me but I will say there are times when I wonder what Turbo S speed would feel like on some of my drives. Will be paying attention to 992 Turbo when it gets announced.

ipse dixit 05-14-2019 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 15840722)
So it seems I’m not the only one that has made this swap. For me it’s GT3 or Turbo, probably nothing else.

Get the GT2RS

Best of both worlds.

Or maybe the best only world.

carcommander 05-14-2019 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ipse dixit (Post 15841202)
Get the GT2RS

Best of both worlds.

Or maybe the best only world.

Drove mine today. It’s an unruly beast. A bunch of fun. It’s also worth 3 times what my Turbo is.

Midtowner 05-15-2019 01:43 AM

I sold my '15 Turbo for a '14 GT3 PCCB. GT3 is more engaging and perfect for the track but I miss the Turbo effortless speed and handling so much so that I am now having evil thoughts of buying a used Turbo S and keeping my GT3. My GF will never understand.

silvertige 05-15-2019 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill (Post 15840727)

Just don't have the passion for a Turbo S. Spoiled for sure.