Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Speed Custom Titanium Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 AM
chranotik
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb RS Speed Custom Titanium Exhaust?

So I've been shopping around and researching for an exhaust setup for my 991.2 GT3 RS and right now I'm looking at the JCR Superlight Inconel Headers and their Titanium Race Pipe, however I just ran into a company called RS Speed Design which apparently makes custom titanium exhausts for various cars. Their titanium exhaust looks pretty sick and sounds nice too. I searched on here to see if anyone is using or talking about this exhaust but i found nothing Here's some pictures and videos of the exhausts they make. I'd love feed back and opinions on what you all think of them. Thanks!

View this post on Instagram

Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 AM
dieselino
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 103 Posts

Why buy this when you can get JCR? Look how the weld and piece together every part instead of using properly bent tubing.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:04 AM
chranotik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dieselino
Why buy this when you can get JCR? Look how the weld and piece together every part instead of using properly bent tubing.
I'm not a welding or exhaust expert and i'm simply trying to get opinions and spark up conversation. Thanks for pointing that out though.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:03 AM
dieselino
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by chranotik
I'm not a welding or exhaust expert and i'm simply trying to get opinions and spark up conversation. Thanks for pointing that out though.
Not trying to be rude or dismiss you post. Unless this is significantly cheaper than JCR, I'd stick with JCR based on the quality of the construction and weld quality alone. I highly doubt it is much cheaper though.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Hmmm....I'm no expert but that's A LOT of welds for an exhaust....more welds = more possible points of weld failure.....would love for RS Speed to chime in with some more info.....
Old 05-14-2019, 11:48 AM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

JCR's race pipe has a tuned length and a merge that promotes scavenging. there's way more engineering that goes into it. this is just a simple straight pipe that was thrown together. not saying it's a bad product, but I wouldn't buy one when the JCR is seemingly a way better product
Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

I saw that RS Speed exhaust on Instagram and I thought it was a joke. Are you serious? There's a company actually trying to sell that?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:54 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Same sort of thing as the titanium race pipe from Sheepey. If I had to choose, I think the one from Sheepey looks like it's built slightly better. But it's not valved. The idea is that it uses Helmholtz Resonators to stave off drone.

I think these shops are getting pre-cut titanium fittings from Ticon Industries and welding them up. So you're paying for all the extra labor of welding a hundred tiny bits of titanium together. The welds on this RS Speed exhaust are also all those bright colors. From my understanding (which could be wrong), good titanium welds should be a uniform golden straw color. When you see lots of purple and blue it means the welds are too hot. But it looks cool and that's the trend right now. Sheepey and JCR both have really good looking welds.

JCR seems like the best option still.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Stick with JCR. I can't imagine that custom piece lining up right. And all those welds...
Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Or, you could just get a set of Dundon catted headers with removable cats. Later, add Dundon's intake parts for a well thought out 'system'. That's what I'm doing.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

That speed custom exhaust looks terrible. Stick with the JCR race pipes. The loop design, x-pipe and titanium thickness, give it that perfect RSR sound. The craftsmanship is great too. I have a full review of it up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...pe-review.html

The sheepy and speed custom designs don't have the loop design. They both give off that fart can backfire sound on let off.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:24 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
The sheepy and speed custom designs don't have the loop design. They both give off that fart can backfire sound on let off.
What is a "loop" design? Why is it "good" or "better"?

And the backfiring is in the tune. Not the physical design of the exhaust parts so it's a moot point. You can make any exhaust backfire and pop by tuning the ECU. Or you can just install the exhaust on the car without tuning and get the same sound as any other exhaust.

BTW, the pitch of any set of pipes in any system (like a car or even a trombone or trumpet) is determined simply by its length. There's no magic involved. The longer the pipe, the lower the pitch. The shorter the pipe, the higher the pitch. Balance tube = sharper, more growl timbre. X-pipe = smoother tone but more rasp. There's also, theoretically, better scavenging with an x-pipe. But no idea if that actually matters when it comes to performance on a GT3/RS since the merge happens basically at the exhaust tips.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:24 PM
chranotik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Same sort of thing as the titanium race pipe from Sheepey. If I had to choose, I think the one from Sheepey looks like it's built slightly better. But it's not valved. The idea is that it uses Helmholtz Resonators to stave off drone.

I think these shops are getting pre-cut titanium fittings from Ticon Industries and welding them up. So you're paying for all the extra labor of welding a hundred tiny bits of titanium together. The welds on this RS Speed exhaust are also all those bright colors. From my understanding (which could be wrong), good titanium welds should be a uniform golden straw color. When you see lots of purple and blue it means the welds are too hot. But it looks cool and that's the trend right now. Sheepey and JCR both have really good looking welds.

JCR seems like the best option still.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtMOuuEg-A3/
That one looks pretty good too and I like how they designed it to have no drone..,However i think I have to agree with you all and still think the JCR race pipe is the way to go right now. These 2 might have a unique look to them but it's not like you stand there with your car on a lift so you can admire the exhaust 24/7.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the JCR silenced race pipe and honestly I can't think of anything I'd change about it.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:05 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
What is a "loop" design? Why is it "good" or "better"?

And the backfiring is in the tune. Not the physical design of the exhaust parts so it's a moot point. You can make any exhaust backfire and pop by tuning the ECU. Or you can just install the exhaust on the car without tuning and get the same sound as any other exhaust.

BTW, the pitch of any set of pipes in any system (like a car or even a trombone or trumpet) is determined simply by its length. There's no magic involved. The longer the pipe, the lower the pitch. The shorter the pipe, the higher the pitch. Balance tube = sharper, more growl timbre. X-pipe = smoother tone but more rasp. There's also, theoretically, better scavenging with an x-pipe. But no idea if that actually matters when it comes to performance on a GT3/RS since the merge happens basically at the exhaust tips.
The loop design on the JCR adds length. You are saying the longer the pipe, the lower the pitch, but it seems to be the opposite in this case. I had an IPE exhaust in the past and now JCR. With the valves opened the IPE is basically the same straight pipe, the only difference is the longer length from the loop design of the JCR. The JCR pipe is way higher pitched. X-pipe changes the tone of the sound also as you mentioned. This is why GMG/sharkwerks sound different than BBI/GR/CMS rear bypasses. In addition to these things, the thickness of the titanium contributes to the differences in sound also. Like I said, all the components in the JCR race pipe work together. I have heard a ton of exhausts on the 991 GT3 and nothing comes close. The sheepy and speed custom exhausts aren't anything different than a rear bypass welded to a single piped side bypass. It will sound the same as all other straight pipes.

Quick Reply: RS Speed Custom Titanium Exhaust?